C4/C5/Xsara
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C4/C5/Xsara

Default C4/C5/Xsara

Hey Guys,

Looking at upgrading my partners car. She currently punts around in a 3door Mirage Hatch from the late 90s.
    I was planning to find something Japanese again. We've moved to a provincial town now and European vehicles aren't high on the priorities list for 'cars we want to work on' by the local garages etc.
    I usually do all my own work on our vehicles but sometimes lately due to work commitments I'm unable to dedicate time to anything other than basic servicing.

With my requirements of keeping the vehicle under 10 years old, there isn't a lot of Japanese stuff that's of a decent spec. NZ new vehicles are usually the ones to go for, but our market is flooded with used Japanese imports with usually inferior power plants. So I'm now thinking of going with some PSA product.

Advertisement

I'm tending toward a Xsara or C4 HDi. I also notice there's often good HDi C5 saloons for sale near me so I'm not discounting those yet either.

What I'm wanting to know is: What should I be looking for, and what should I be trying to avoid with these models? I know there's sometimes Auto trans issues surrounding these, but, as an Auto is preferred, I'm thinking I need to know some definitive facts about the things. Are they really that bad?

Also with the C5. As they get older (I've found an '06 so not too bad) are the suspension systems giving much grief? Without going into great depth I understand them to no run an engine driven high pressure pump nowadays?

I guess most of my running gear questions will run similarly with the pug 307/308/407 range which I'm also looking at.

post 2000 stuff creeps me out a little. If I could get her into a DSuper or a 205GTi I would...

I have had a good run with C5's for 10 years. The later series 1 facelift with a 6 speed auto and 2L hdi. is a good car and the hatch back style is great and very versatile. Complete service history is essential.
    Allan.

cool

do they run DPF filters int he exhaust etc?
    are these a known fault area?

Fellow Frogger!

Have had a C5 HDi 2.0 litre since new in 2003. No dpf with AL4 gearbox. Done a bit over 150,000 kms now. Was the 80th anniversary model. Been very good to us overall.
    Had the extended warranty which was worth it as had Comms 200o unit replaced at around 5 year mark.
    Gearbox had a problem with hard shifts. Especially 2-3 and back down. This was after a couple of years and fixed under warranty, think it was programing plus one of the valves but noy sure.
    Only other issue was radio fuse blew and a couple of tail lights after 10 years so not bad, what you would expect really.
    Have used it to tow caravan accross Nullabor to Perth for Cit-in and following year to Dubbo as well as many other trips in SA and Vic without any issues.
    Economical, especially for its time. Little slow off the line, especially when pulling into main roads from side streets, you just have to judge it more carefully. Have added a chip from Germany which has helped reduce that flat spot and give a quicker take off. Under $200 and simple plug and play.
    Other than that bog standard and still very comfortable crusing (though towing duties now undertaken by our VWTouareg). Expect we have a long relationship ahead of us
    Peter
    http://www.racechip.com is the chip i got, the standard Ä129 one

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Thread Information