CX 1 heater core
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX 1 heater core

Might be a stupid question? My wreck 2400 & the good 2400 both have their heaters disconnected which leads me to believe that they probably leaked or due to poor sealing blend flaps overheated the cabin during summer. Most possibly leaked me thinks. Big job to replace obviously. Can I use the a/c condenser off my wreck (removing the tx valve first) as a heater core? It's not as tightly finned yet is copper. Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    Might be a stupid question? My wreck 2400 & the good 2400 both have their heaters disconnected which leads me to believe that they probably leaked or due to poor sealing blend flaps overheated the cabin during summer. Most possibly leaked me thinks. Big job to replace obviously. Can I use the a/c condenser off my wreck (removing the tx valve first) as a heater core? It's not as tightly finned yet is copper. Your thoughts?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    They have probably been disconnected to try and prevent heat flow inside the car. No you can not use the evaporator. I'd just try connecting them first. CX heater cores aren't known for leaking like the modern cars

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    They have probably been disconnected to try and prevent heat flow inside the car. No you can not use the evaporator. I'd just try connecting them first. CX heater cores aren't known for leaking like the modern cars

seeya,
    shane L.
    Thanks Shane. If it did leak, would it do so from the A/c condensation outlet or would I be risking damage to the carpets?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger

I had a 1979 CX and the heater core end tanks were plastic. It hadn't been leaking into the car that I'd noticed and it let go one night scalding my feet and filling the car with steam. Not very pleasant, so you don't want to be using a suspect heater core. However, as Shane suggests, it's probably been disconnected in an attempt to make the car cooler. You can use a common vacuum tap from Repco to do that, adding a solenoid valve and switch to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I had a 1979 CX and the heater core end tanks were plastic. It hadn't been leaking into the car that I'd noticed and it let go one night scalding my feet and filling the car with steam. Not very pleasant, so you don't want to be using a suspect heater core. However, as Shane suggests, it's probably been disconnected in an attempt to make the car cooler. You can use a common vacuum tap from Repco to do that, adding a solenoid valve and switch to control it.
    Thanks David. Yes I have had that happen in another car. I'll put in a manual tap & H-return in heater lines & switch it off (under the bonnet) over summer. I will have to replace the core. I just spoke with the previous owner who said it had a leak & being Queensland no point in replacing it. A stainless steel heater box would be nice if there was such a thing?

Via the aussiefrogs App

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Don't worry ... CX heaters cores are a piece of cake to change. If you don't believe me try something modern like an XM and let me know how you go (if you don't burn it first that is).

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default CX 1 heater core

CX 1 heater core-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1394570097.403643.jpg
    I had a minor dash fire last week. The fan wiring had worn through against the metal gearstick housing in front of HVAC controls. CX 1 heater core-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1394570264.885910.jpgCX 1 heater core-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1394570282.769056.jpg
    The micro switch to operate the recirculating flap wires damaged so able to complete the manual override and installed a spare window switch on the thin brown and red wires that run to my rebuilt flap actuator.
    A pain to remove the dash with seats in situ. A small ratchet screw driver saved the day. Whilst there added another switch to operate a vacuum valve and connected a new heater tap.
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 12th March 2014 at 08:53 AM.

Default CX 1 heater core

CX 1 heater core-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1394571216.037773.jpg
    CX 1 heater core-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1394571251.586046.jpg
    The vacuum tap is on the underside of the top picture. As it sounds like a few of you have done this modification, I used a Holden Commodore heater tap as recommended ($19 from Bursons automotive) and one of the unused normally open solenoid valves from the disconnected emission control system. (Do any CX owners here still actually have an operational air pump etc? A cheating way to achieve emission compliance) The benefit of this heater tap over a manual ball valve is that it has a built in return flow therefore isolates the heater core entirely (until the engine is switched off yet could get the car home if the core leaks) It's also controlled from within the cabin for the same price. I just need to re-label the switches. (I used a spare rear demister switch so sort of ok) All the blanks next to the handbrake are now filled with factory switches so looks neat and it works.

Thread Information