C4 1.6 Petrol Oil Change
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 1.6 Petrol Oil Change

Hello all

Advertisement

need to do an oil change on Mum's C4. It's the 1.6 Petrol - same as the engine in the 307. Had a few questions which I would greatly appreciate your assistance with:

- what is the tool and what size is required to remove the sump plug - is it an Allan key?
    - where would the oil filter housing be located and what's the best way to access it? I understand they they require a 27mm socket to undo - is this correct?
    - should I use a purflux filter?

Thanks for your assistance.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Hello all

need to do an oil change on Mum's C4. It's the 1.6 Petrol - same as the engine in the 307. Had a few questions which I would greatly appreciate your assistance with:

- what is the tool and what size is required to remove the sump plug - is it an Allan key?
    - where would the oil filter housing be located and what's the best way to access it? I understand they they require a 27mm socket to undo - is this correct?
    - should I use a purflux filter?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Definitely Purflux -Can't say 4 sure about 'Mum's C4' but Pugs normally have an 8mm square socket plug.They can be purchased from guys like Dave Cavanagh @ French Connection.If you are handy simply square off the thread on a short bolt.Filters are normally on the front-a Purflux filter wrenches -'Young Dave'should have-should be able to put a filter in the same package.
    Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Purfux - don't bother with anything else. Get it from French Connection in Melbourne by courier, as suggested by Pekay49, or in Sydney you could drop into EAI at Thornleigh. The 27mm tool is needed for a black plastic filter housing. You can see it at the front of the motor. Earlier motors use a painted spin-on oil filter. For them use either a "cap" type tool that fits over the filter, or a compact filter wrench.
    Last edited by seasink; 21st November 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Depending on the year and engine of Mum's C4, the sump plug will most likely be an 8mm allen key in a round plug, similar to this pic:

8mm square drive is now usually reserved for gearbox sump plugs and older Peugeot/CitroŽn engines.

It's possible the engine in Mum's C4 looks like the pic below. If so, the oil filter housing is the black item circled in red.

C4 1.6 Petrol Oil Change-tu5oilfilter.jpg

The paper filter cartridge supplied in OEM packaging (ie. from a dealer) is usually a Purflux or MANN brand. It's a surprise when you open the box. There is no fancy anti drain-back valve or such in these paper filters to complicate the issue, although personally I think the Purflux ones look nicer.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all - engine oil change sorted. The sump plug, and indeed the engine looked like the ones in the pics Simon posted. Got the purflux filter from Colliers in Granville Sydney.

Also gave it a coolant flush. Used the Nulon Long life green coloured coolant on their advice. Gave it a thorough flush before hand (old coolant was. Brown/orange colour).

All is good so far.

Thanks for all your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Depending on the year and engine of Mum's C4, the sump plug will most likely be an 8mm allen key in a round plug, similar to this pic:

8mm square drive is now usually reserved for gearbox sump plugs and older Peugeot/CitroŽn engines.

It's possible the engine in Mum's C4 looks like the pic below. If so, the oil filter housing is the black item circled in red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TU5oilfilter.jpg 
Views:	18732 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	50126

The paper filter cartridge supplied in OEM packaging (ie. from a dealer) is usually a Purflux or MANN brand. It's a surprise when you open the box. There is no fancy anti drain-back valve or such in these paper filters to complicate the issue, although personally I think the Purflux ones look nicer.

Thread Information