Advice for novice...
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Advice for novice...

So, I try to start the Goddess this morning and it refuses to fire. Sometimes it takes a bit of pumping and working of the choke (although usually not much at all) and I figure I have flooded it and go back ten minutes later.

Same problem. I squirt the carby with cleaner. I get some minor firing but it won't catch. So I think perhaps a fuel air mix problem. I check the breather hoses aha! One of them has been cracked/corroded and has deteriorated further so I do what I have been meaning to do for a few weeks and replace them both and generally clean up.

Still no start. I confirm that the fuel pump is working (i assume that fuel bubbling through filter means pump is working). Then I notice that the fuel line to the pump has partly split just at the join. That must be it! Fuel starvation.... So I take the line off off, trim the rubber pipe and reattach. I am feeling quite pleased with myself and confident that the car will now start.

No sir-ree. Same problem. What is my next step? Does the fuel line need to be bled some how? Should I remove the filter and clean? Will it need to be bled afterward? (I was assuming not).

Any advice for the novice much appreciated. I can't roll the car out of the garage because the drop is to steep for the vehicle without the suspension being raised. And now the battery is beginning to flag...

AM

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

If there is a steep drop just outside the garage, the lack of suspension is the least of your problem. Remember, it has no brakes until the hydraulic circuit has pressure. There is a priority valve that means you may have brake pressure before steering and suspension receive fluid pressure, but your fallback is the handbrake. Does it work properly?

Since you are looking at the fuel system, work through it first. If the hose is perished, replace it rather than just trimming the end. Also look at the brass fitting entering the carby and ensure it's not loose, which is a potential cause of a fire and the subject of earlier discussions. Have you checked or changed the filter recently? Does it catch a lot of dirt? You should be able to crank the engine and have fuel gush out of the hose leading to the carby if you disconnect it there.

Has the carby been 'adjusted' recently? Does it need to be cleaned and reset, perhaps? If the stop for the butterfly slow-running position has been changed, it may not have the correct opening with the throttle closed. Do you know if the float and it's valve inside the carby are OK? If they are not working properly, then the pump can pump excess fuel into the engine. Has the carby base distortred to the point that it allows air to enter at the manifold after the carby?
    Last edited by David S; 16th November 2013 at 11:59 AM.

I always remind people of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life where, in the classroom sex education scene, he cautions against "stampeding towards the clitoris".

In a remarkably similar vein, people stampede towards the fuel supply when ignition may be equally culpable or perhaps the sole item at fault (perhaps because it feels more satisfying to poke one's fingers at the fuel supply?). I'd be suspicious your spark is too weak.

Not everyone here is a grouchy, opinionated bastard; if you were to say whereabouts you're located - it might be that a willing and tooled up helper is not so far away. Never know your luck.

Fellow Frogger!

Got it started. Took it for a spin. Now purring...

famous last words...

Thread Information