s1 cx 2400 gearbox fluid renewal
  • Register
  • Help

Default s1 cx 2400 gearbox fluid renewal

where do you refill the gearbox, and how do you know when it is full?

Advertisement

cheers

p.s its the 4 speed manual box

There is a dipstick on the back of the gearbox near the firewall. It is pretty short and buried. I fill thru the dipstick hole using a squeeze bottle and plastic tube. There is a drain plug on both the gearbox itself, and another in the diff housing. Both spaces are linked internally. The manual says 1.75 litres for the 5 speed. The 4 speed may be marginally less. Fill slowly and check the level with the dipstick.

The workshop manuals show a filler plug on top of the gearbox, near the bell housing. It is so tight on my car that I have never been able to get it out. And I have tried

There has been lots of discussion about gearbox oils and the CX. Search the forum and see what you can find. I suspect that much of the discussion was before the AF crash, so it may be lost. IIRC Castrol VMX80 plus the Nulon G70 additive is the recommended combination.
    Last edited by Rob T; 14th November 2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    The workshop manuals show a filler plug on top of the gearbox, near the bell housing. It is so tight on my car that I have never been able to get it out. And I have tried

There has been lots of discussion about gearbox oils and the CX. Search the forum and see what you can find. I suspect that much of the discussion was before the AF crash, so it may be lost. IIRC Castrol VMX80 plus the Nulon G70 additive is the recommended combination.
    I second the choice of oils and Nulon G70 Rob. I use the same in the GS. One can always fill through the dip stick hole but it would be a pain in the neck. If I recall correctly my filler plug had a square drive recess in it and was a pain to remove. I did achieve the removal and replaced it with a 19mm hex pug the same as on the gearbox drain. This makes removal much easier.
    Cheers Gerry

I have managed to find the dipstick which on the facts looks like the best way to fill. I haven't found the fill plug yet but it was dark....

however i did notice that there is a bush missing from the gearbox change lever that comes from the cabin that sits over a ball joint. Explains the sloppy gear change.

But where can i find the replacement part? is there a part number or something, or another part from somewhere else that does work?

thanks for all your help. will try take a photo this afternoon.

Western Hemispheres sell the bush and also the ball pin. You may need to replace both if the bush has been missing for some time. It would have been metal on metal---------I had to! Ball Pin---5444467 Bush 5439226. There is a site to download all of the tech info. You will find it in the Manuals sticky post at the top of the Citroen Forum on AF.
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't recommend manual gearbox oil for the 4spd ..... The C-matic gearbox lasts forever yet the 4spd manuals (that are identical internally) kill there synchro's in an incredibly small milage.... The only difference is the oil ... .Use the C-matic oil in it, which is Castrol TQF !! They really suck with manual gearbox oil in them in my experiance.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by benvv View Post
    I have managed to find the dipstick which on the facts looks like the best way to fill. I haven't found the fill plug yet but it was dark....

however i did notice that there is a bush missing from the gearbox change lever that comes from the cabin that sits over a ball joint. Explains the sloppy gear change.

But where can i find the replacement part? is there a part number or something, or another part from somewhere else that does work?

thanks for all your help. will try take a photo this afternoon.
    The filler is directly on top of the gearbox and looks like an extended wheel nut, BTW Where is the manual gear box dipstick? Anyway I just replaced the gearbox oil with Castrol Manual VMX 80W equalling a huge improvement. No grinding into reverse, smooth change into second. Castrol Transmax Type F for the C-matic.
    Regarding the missing nylon gearshift bush: DS motors solution: A plastic battery terminal cover off a new battery held in place with a rubber o-ring twisted over the two links is a great substitution.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 15th November 2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    The filler is directly on top of the gearbox and looks like an extended wheel nut, BTW Where is the manual gear box dipstick? Anyway I just replaced the gearbox oil with Castrol Manual VMX 80W equalling a huge improvement. No grinding into reverse, smooth change into second. Castrol Transmax Type F for the C-matic.
    Regarding the missing nylon gearshift bush: DS motors solution: A plastic battery terminal cover off a new battery held in place with a rubber o-ring twisted over the two links is a great substitution.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    If your going to use manual gearbox oil in the 4spd manual, use nulon G70 as well (remember the C-matic *is* identical, I've even swapped gears and synchro rings from C-matic boxes into 4spd manuals due too them having far less wear on the area of the gear the synchro runs on). It's *not* the synchro that wears out, it's the surface on the gear it runs on that heavily wears... So when you fit new synchro rings you get barely any milage out of them (days/weeks). Raid C-matic boxes for the less worn gears.

I personally wouldn't use anything other than the C-matic oil in a 4spd manual. The 5spds are different, use the correct specified oil for them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    DS motors solution: A plastic battery terminal cover off a new battery held in place with a rubber o-ring twisted over the two links is a great substitution.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    WHAAAATT? Use the correct parts please.. That is a bush mechanic fix if ever I heard it!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I don't recommend manual gearbox oil for the 4spd ..... The C-matic gearbox lasts forever yet the 4spd manuals (that are identical internally) kill there synchro's in an incredibly small milage.... The only difference is the oil ... .Use the C-matic oil in it, which is Castrol TQF !! They really suck with manual gearbox oil in them in my experiance.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    The other difference is that the synchros work harder on a manual box because they are shifted much more often! C-Matics rarely need shifting because of the torque multiplication factor of the torque converter. Less shifting equals less wear! I doubt if the TQF type fluids as opposed to VMX 80 has any significant effect!
    Cheers Gerry

thanks for the assistance. parts ordered.

cant wait to get this thing tip top by christmas....

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    WHAAAATT? Use the correct parts please.. That is a bush mechanic fix if ever I heard it!
    I hear you. It works ok & only as a temporary measure. I'll get another new one when I need to order a few other things from CX Basis to make the postage worth it. I only just purchased the last new one left in existence in Brisbane for my 2400's roadworthy.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    The other difference is that the synchros work harder on a manual box because they are shifted much more often! C-Matics rarely need shifting because of the torque multiplication factor of the torque converter. Less shifting equals less wear! I doubt if the TQF type fluids as opposed to VMX 80 has any significant effect!
    that's true, it still transformed the gearbox putting that oil in them. they went from being crunchy and horrible to use, to being 'ok'.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    that's true, it still transformed the gearbox putting that oil in them. they went from being crunchy and horrible to use, to being 'ok'.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I notice that benefit in most gearboxes after an oil change. The addition of G70 also would give this benefit.
    Have you noticed any benefits from a change to new VMX 80 grade gear oil?
    It made the world of difference to the GS. They have synchros and cones that use exactly the same metallurgy!
    Again further addition of G70 improved the functioning to a further degree.
    Cheers Gerry

I have got the new bush for the linkage, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get it on.

grease and muscle does not help.

can someone help me in doing this. whats the procedure to get it on? on the ball joint first or seat the bush first?

Warrant check on monday so need to get it done.

Cheers !

See my answer in your other post!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information