Air conditioning DS
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Winkbul45

Thread: Air conditioning DS

Fellow Frogger!

Default Air conditioning DS

Somebody wants to buy an original DS air conditioning of me. In working order, is in my car but I don't use it.
    I have no idea what price to ask. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Winkbul45 View Post
    Somebody wants to buy an original DS air conditioning of me. In working order, is in my car but I don't use it.
    I have no idea what price to ask. Any suggestions?
    Far too open ended a question. Who is going to remove the system from your car? Can you and are you prepared to do this, does it have the condensers in the front guard wells - does the front valance have the cut out for air flow, does the front bumper have the vents, would you be required to sell these as a package? May as well include the 3 pulley water pump required to drive the compressor.

It gets complicated doesn't it, you need to answer the above before anyone could get close to an estimated value. If yes to the valance bumper and water pump you would need to source replacements and include cost of painting and fitting.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

if it's the ugly autoclima under dash mounted system that was most common, it's not really worth much ( in my opinion ). If it is the floor mounted type, then I would not remove it from the car, because you'll devalue the car, they are superior and pretty rare..... If i was trying to retro fit ac to a ds i would bypass all existing variants and go for something modern I could duct into the existing air vents, probably cheaper and more efficient than retro fitting a 70's system.
    Last edited by mberry; 12th November 2013 at 09:40 AM.

I have seen working aircon sell for $5000 US. The good stuff.
    Then it had to be taken from one car and installed in another.

Fellow Frogger!

When first bought new the air con was included. So I think it has all the things you said. I can include the (re-build) 3 pulley water pump, as I have a new 2 pulley one. I asked my Cit. repairer and he said it would take him about 8 hours to remove it. It is the under dash one.
    The new owner will also need the matching radiator with 2 fans

Hi Wink, If you're lucky enough to have A/C fitted to your DS (even if not working) it would make your car more valuable by keeping it in place. If it does work use it at least once a fortnight to keep it sealed & lubricated.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger!

I am guessing you have not yet experienced a properly functioning under dash auto clima. We had one in our DS23 and it worked a treat even in the hot 40 C degree Wagga heat.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    if it's the ugly autoclima under dash mounted system that was most common, it's not really worth much ( in my opinion ).
    Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    I am guessing you have not yet experienced a properly functioning under dash auto clima. We had one in our DS23 and it worked a treat even in the hot 40 C degree Wagga heat.
    I think Michael is more referring to the appearance, sadly the cheap plastic didn't do too well in our climate. My own has suffered this fate, and doesn't sit neatly across the dash (possibly never did?). I agree with you though when working well they do a great job even on extreme days. A better look though than the aftermarket floor unit that sat between driver and front passenger.

The proper factory unit certainly was more integrated and looked the part and as Michael points out would carry much more value if you could find find one.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    .... it worked a treat even in the hot 40 C degree Wagga heat.
    As will any properly sized and installed "direct air" system of same rated capacity as an equivalent integrated system.

The cold air is straight off the coil into the car. Integrated systems have ducting (which causes the air to gain heat) and restricts the airflow.

IMO the most efficient auto air conditioners were the three fan Mark 5 under dash units. The autoclima add-on evaporators are well up with them.

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you all for the replies about my air con. I've decided not to sell it, as was suggested by most of you.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Thread Information