New C5 on ebay, slight damage, very cheap.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UFO

Thread: New C5 on ebay, slight damage, very cheap.

Default New C5 on ebay, slight damage, very cheap.

Hi Froggers,
    I went and had a look at this car today, JEEZ it's very tempting...apparently it was struck by a tree. It's only got 22,000 ks on the clock. It's metallic gold, and it needs a new roof, a new rear windscreen and front windscreen. The boot needs panel beating, and the quarter panel on the passenger side also needs beating.
    It has white leather, and it's a real dream car/project for someone with a roofed garage. Have a look at the ad.

Citreon C5 X7 HDI Sedan Diesel 2011 Damaged in Melbourne, VIC | eBay

Advertisement

I am very tempted....

cheers...George 1/8th

Consider this (granted a year earlier) : 2010 Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive HDi MY10 Sports Automatic

So say best case $28k value when finished. It will always have repairable write-off on it's title. I'd see that as minus if I was a buyer. Not a problem if you are driving but it affects the value and what is sensible to spend.

Step back and consider it's price at $7k. You are paying 25% of market value of a perfect undamaged example.

My gut feeling is the value is for a panel beater with labor, workshop and supply of parts trade. Modern cars don't lend themselves to panel beating as such. Most repairs are panel replacement or sectional weld in. Yuu could sub out the repair and do the D & A yourself but I can't see an gigantic saving in that.

And be sure that it will gone over in minute pedantic detail when during re-compliance and re registered. So there are no shortcuts or quick fixes possible.

If David had a wreck with donor panels that could be viable option.

Be tempted George. They are a great drive.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger

It was presumably uneconomic to repair commercially once all the broken bits were factored in. The external panel damage is probably quite expensive to fix, but I expect you have to replace rather than repair the turret frame. That's because it's made from HYS steel and you are generally supposed to replace by spot or electric welding the high strength steel components. There are some quite specific repair instructions on parts of the passenger cell and chassis. It's not necessarily as simple as pushing it out as it might have been with a car built a decade ago.

There is also the fact that being a repaired write-off, it will be devalued in the eyes of any insurer, dealer or potential buyer. As a car to keep, it may be a proposition, but as one to repair and onsell it may not be worth the trouble. It does have the upgraded Euro V engine too.
    Last edited by David S; 11th November 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Froggers,
    I went and had a look at this car today, JEEZ it's very tempting...apparently it was struck by a tree. It's only got 22,000 ks on the clock. It's metallic gold, and it needs a new roof, a new rear windscreen and front windscreen. The boot needs panel beating, and the quarter panel on the passenger side also needs beating.
    It has white leather, and it's a real dream car/project for someone with a roofed garage. Have a look at the ad.

I am very tempted....

cheers...George 1/8th

Certainly not bad, but that project would only make economic sense if you can do some of the panel work yourself, or at least find and buy a usable roof section and deck lid from another wreck. I say economic sense because if you take the car to a decent body shop and let them handle all of it, I would venture you're looking at about 15K for the repair. Sectioning in a new roof isn't easy.

That said, if you think you can handle the job, go for it. You'll have a very nice car at the end.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

It's a non hydraulic model by the way. Note the adjustable headlights on the left of the steering column and the manual handbrake.
    Boyracer and Mort Subite like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I ran a quick collation of parts (rear glass, roof panel, roof crossbraces, bootlid, bootlid clip kit, rear window lower frame portion) through my preferred French supplier; they seem very concessional on freight but you would want to confirm in writing!

€1100 for all except the windscreen kit. You would attract GST etc on the way in, and this parts list also presumes your metal man is good at repairing quarters.

By contrast, half the items needed are not cited locally and that includes the roof panel plus front screen.

I honestly don't think this one's worth doing; it's a 2 litre diesel sedan with steel springs. A hydraulic wagon for sure, but there's just a few too many "average car" details on this one. You may well be better off financially buying an unbent example.

Hey guys, thanks for the knowledgable replies, I thought all C5s were Hydraulic. Now that you mention it, there does not seem to be any height lever inside.
    So, that's it. It's still a nice car, it's just not what I'd buy. Not hydraulic, so there's no point.
    cheers...George

UFO

George - hydraulic C5s do not have a height lever. The Xantia was the last with a lever. Hydraulic C5s have always had electronic control of the height via buttons in the central binnacle. On a X& C5 those buttons sit just under your finger tips when your arm is on the centre rest. Also near them is the electric handbrake switch.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information