pressure sensing tyres procedure
  • Register
  • Help

Default pressure sensing tyres procedure

Good morning People

Advertisement

I just wanted to get the correct procedure for removing the wheel if there is such a thing as the manual suggests taking it to an authorised agent (scratched the alloy when parking ) so that I can hopefully get it cleaned up.

Details are 2008 C5 X7 model Exclusive.

Cheers

I've had the tyres replaced on my 207 (it has the same wheel sensors) and they have not batted an eye regarding them.

I had one wheel repaired by a "I'm not smart but I can lift heavy things" chap and, apart from stating that "these are a bit of a wank" managed to remove the tyre, repair the rim and refit the tyre without the sensor being damaged.

They (the sensors) seem to be perfectly capable of coping with deflation and subsequent re-inflation events.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Just advise the wheel place that they are there. They should know what to do with them - and I believe they are easy to remove and replace.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thank you Simon

I now will find out if somebody here can repair the severe scratches Ive managed to create by somebody here in Adelaide (this is clearly a sneaky way of getting anybody in Adelaide to recommend a somebody)

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Agreed, inform them so the tyre removal technician doesn't accidentally damage the sensor. At a recent ( all 4 ) tyre change at the local dealer I was panicked when, at starting up the sensors gave all sorts of urgent messages.... ignore for a couple of kilometres and they will reset themselves in their new "known" locations.

UFO

I had a worried phone call the other day from Boyracer who had some tyres replaced on his relatively new C5. "What do I do about the tyre sensors going off". It seems that once the car has reached 40 km/h for about 500 to 1000m the car sorts itself out and all is fine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

A recent invention called crayon, means it is not hard to mark which wheel came from which corner. I can assure readers this simple procedure results in no tyre error messages after replacement.

In the event of a wheel being off for a prolonged period the deflation detection setting may be changed to "absent" leaving the driver responsible for roadworthiness of all tyres by pressure. Otherwise it just fills the BSI fault log with drivel.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    A recent invention called crayon, means it is not hard to mark which wheel came from which corner. I can assure readers this simple procedure results in no tyre error messages after replacement.

In the event of a wheel being off for a prolonged period the deflation detection setting may be changed to "absent" leaving the driver responsible for roadworthiness of all tyres by pressure. Otherwise it just fills the BSI fault log with drivel.
    Holy Dooley Addo! Thats radical! Getting the driver to check tyre pressures!

These devices were made to absolve the driver of such mundane tasks so they could concentrate on the important things. Like looking at the Satnav to find out where they are and where they are going and texting a running commentary of their journey.

Thank God the parking assist doesn't need driver interference.

John

UFO

Having experienced the function of the pressure sensor on a low profile tyre on the C5 and pulling over to (visually) check I honestly could not tell the difference. I got out the air pressure gauge and sure enough it had lost some pressure but retained enough for me to get to somewhere in Tassie to get it fixed.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I once spun my Xantia because of a (hitherto unknown) rear puncture; it wasn't until I encountered a sweeping off-camber corner with the "flat" outboard that a loss of grip was rapidly noted. Totally my fault for not checking the tyre pressures and if there had been an accident I would have been wholly liable.

I've been more proactive since, but don't consider a gadget absolves the driver of responsibility.

Default pressure sensing tyres procedure

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post

The wheel was off for a week while I drove around (yes there was a loud, grinding noise but I just turned up the radio).

When I put it back on after repair, it was much happier (it stopped telling me a tyre was flat) and worked fine (and still does). It was also much quieter.

When the car was much newer the sensors alerted me to a puncture that I never noticed. Being 45 series with very stiff sidewalls mean it hides punctures even on the cornering test.

Apparently they corrode quite badly on English roads, though.

It's a real drag having to manually check the DS3 tyres I tell you, but that CitroŽns for you - apparently they are alive with technology.

Regards,

Simon.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Peugeot & Citroen use a "direct" tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

The TPMS system only needs to be reprogrammed if the sensor on the wheel is replaced with a new one. Removing a wheel or changing a tyre does not require reprogramming.

Upon refitting the wheels, if the message "tyre pressures not monitored" appears on the display, the sensors need to be reconfigured. To do this, simply drive the vehicle at speed (to allow the sensors to send data to the ECU) until the warning light turns off.

The message will also be triggered if the spare wheel (which doesn't have a sensor) is fitted on the car.

The system is configured to alert the driver of low tyre pressure when it is 0.4 bar (6 psi) below nominal target, or a puncture if the pressure is 0.6 bar (9 psi) below nominal target.

The nominal target refers to the figures stated on the tyre placard.

Always check the pressure using a gauge and never rely on visual inspection alone - especially for low profile tyres.

An approved CitroŽn repairer who should know about these things removed a damaged front wheel caused by a tyre refitter in a national chain, who cracked the aluminium with the wrong fitting on the pneumatic machine. Said repairer fitted the spare wheel and replaced that with a cheaper steel wheel. From then on the C5 screen indicated "stop -flat tyre" until I took it back and complained. He had forgotten to swap the sensor in the valve assembly.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

JBN

Crooks are always undone by insufficient attention to detail.

John

Thread Information