Xantia Reverse Lights
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia Reverse Lights

Something bit dicky happening with the Xantia. No reversing lights, top brake light not working, number plate lights very dull and hatch brake lights not working.

Advertisement

Checked bulbs/connections up back, all appear good. Fuses all look OK.

Any suggestions folks?
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Sounds like an earth wire for the the tailgate has come loose or broken.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    406 D8 V6 manual

JBN

All the cabling from the car goes up the C pillar on the drivers side to the hatch.

If you remove the trim panel to get this:

Xantia Reverse Lights-parking-04.jpg

If you remove the lower black cover you get this:
    Xantia Reverse Lights-parking-04a.jpg

The lower cabling operates the lights NOT mounted on the hatch.

John

What happens when the blinkers are on one side and then the other. If other lights flash in union or opposition you definitely have an earth problem
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Many thanks everyone. Appears that a lot of action happens near the hinge.

Just goes to show you need to give 'em a bit of slack. Is the green earth? With my avatar you think I should know this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xantia Reverse Lights-2013-11-10-16.08.55.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Similar thing happens in the drivers door

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Wiring is different (bits on different sides) between series 1 & 2 sedans, so may well be also with the wagons.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Many thanks everyone. Appears that a lot of action happens near the hinge.

Just goes to show you need to give 'em a bit of slack. Is the green earth? With my avatar you think I should know this.
    I would just join both ends of the green wire together and both ends of the red wire together.

But, hey, I'm not a sparkey so I have no idea what I am doing.

John

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Is the green earth? With my avatar you think I should know this.
    Well yes, with that avatar one would assume you knew something about wiring ...

From my limited (and I stress limited) understanding, green wire is not generally an earth in auto-electrical wiring. Ground, in the case of auto electrics, more likely brown or black I believe. Experts - please correct here!

But I guess, as JBN suggests, safe to just reconnect the existing (but broken) wires.

Ian.

1000+ Posts

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    All the cabling from the car goes up the C pillar on the drivers side to the hatch.

If you remove the trim panel to get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parking 04.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	49708

If you remove the lower black cover you get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parking 04A.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	49709

The lower cabling operates the lights NOT mounted on the hatch.

John
    Excellent John,you are the only one;when a question is asked,races out to your car,rips the offending part apart,takes photos and supplies the answer,Andy.

JBN

Actually, I drive my car partly stripped as I am a a true believer of Citroen reliability.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Well yes, with that avatar one would assume you knew something about wiring ...

From my limited (and I stress limited) understanding, green wire is not generally an earth in auto-electrical wiring. Ground, in the case of auto electrics, more likely brown or black I believe. Experts - please correct here!

But I guess, as JBN suggests, safe to just reconnect the existing (but broken) wires.

Ian.
    My understanding is slightly better. If you think ground-wire-is-green is confusing, try an early Bosch K-Jet fuel injection system. All wires on that one are white. A Citroen D doesn't care what color wire- it all depends on the color sleeves- and the black often stands in for battery +! Black or brown for ground is the international norm. But you need to remember the French march (well, did march) to their own drummer.

On many Peugeot products, the ground was green with a yellow tracer. However, John has the point- just reconnect like with like. My suggestion though would be to not just resplice right at that point. You're begging for another failure. I would replace the wire down into the body cavity and on up into the deck. I know that's a pain to do, but your repair will last. I would also be very carefully checking any other wires that go through that rubber boot.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Colours are irrelevant in my experience on those era PSA products. It's usually all about the little codes printed on the insulation.

Earth wires usually have codes starting with M, like MC10 or MC11, M009, M162, etc, for example.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon11

I just had to do a bodgy on my 1997 Xantia wagon tailgate lights. Faults - intermittant rear wiper, LHS parking light out, centre bar stop light out and RHS number plate light out but bulbs in all OK. LHS light cluster has one connector which goes through flat cable to the RHS cluster so nothing to look at there. RHS cluster has three connectors, the one coming from the LHS cluster, another three wire one that has a big fat yellow wire (which turned out to be an earth) and a two wire connector with two thin green wires one of which was at +12V and the other open circuit. So I did some wire tracing and found the line going to the LHS parking light cam from the open circuit thin green wire. I then took a punt and shorted the two green wires together and all the 'dead' lights started to work. So I ended up just joining these tracks on the RHS light cluster with some wire that had a 3A fuse in it and put it all back together. So now all the lights work but the windscreen wiper is still dead. Sometime I will have to have a look at those two sheethed cable looms that come out at roof line and go into either side of the tailgate.

So think yellow for earth and thin green for +12V in the Xantia Tailgate.

Cheers,

Ken W

Hi Froggers,
    my first car was Italian. Just like their motorbikes in the 70's, any wire could be any colour, regardless of what the wiring diagram said. Before this I had mostly worked on Japanese electrics which always stuck strictly to the code, so I was astonished. I know on my Xantia that black is usually the Earth, and red is usually positive. These codes are pretty standard, and I find the loom is usually as per the wiring diagram in the workshop manual.
    Cheers....George 1/8th.

Thread Information