Solid ride
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mort Subite

Thread: Solid ride

Default Solid ride

Today I lowered the DS, I had the bonnet open at the time and notice air blowing out the top of the reservoir tank. Thinking to myselve "that's strange!" I had never seen that before. Then I started her up again and up she came to normal height. However as I went to drive off I notice the rear as solid as can be with absolutely no movement.
    So I'm guessing that the diaphragm has blown and the air was gas blown back to the tank.
    It's a pity because these spheres were reconditioned not too many years ago.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solid ride-image.jpg  

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

DS

reconditioned not too many years ago
    How many is not too many? An annual check and regas every year or two I see as sound maintenance.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Maybe a good mental reminder is a yearly removal of spheres and a check/re-gas as required.
    addo likes this.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Can happen, unfortunately.
    However, a 2-3 year pressure check is sufficient.

Signs are your sphere/s definitely failed diaphragm, rebuild the cure.

Thanks Richo

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

I have removed the driver's side sphere and replaced it with a good spare for now and will have the sphere checked.
    Something I noticed in doing the removal which I thought was very odd. The part that the sphere is attached to seems to float loose whilst there in no pressure in the hydraulic system. Is this normal? Should there be a rubber holder to stop it dropping onto the frame. I now know what the clunk is when the bum starts to rise on start up.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    I have removed the driver's side sphere and replaced it with a good spare for now and will have the sphere checked.
    Something I noticed in doing the removal which I thought was very odd. The part that the sphere is attached to seems to float loose whilst there in no pressure in the hydraulic system. Is this normal? Should there be a rubber holder to stop it dropping onto the frame. I now know what the clunk is when the bum starts to rise on start up.
    Suspension cylinder loose whilst depressurised is normal - the cause of your clunk is more likely a dry cup and ball at the end of the rod, remove inspect replace if worn, grease and replace if in good condition.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Adrian,

To just add a bit to what Chris wrote. The front suspension cylinders should and need to be a bit 'loose' with all pressure released. The upper portion of those cylinders, when the car is pressurize, will find their proper alignment against a machined flat in the frame that you do not see. If the retaining screws are too tight they can prevent the cylinders from going 'home' as it were. Proper tension of the set screws should allow for lots of 'wiggle' room. There only real purpose is to prevent the cylinders from either twisting to much or falling downwards when pressure is removed.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Adrian,

To just add a bit to what Chris wrote. The front suspension cylinders should and need to be a bit 'loose' with all pressure released. The upper portion of those cylinders, when the car is pressurize, will find their proper alignment against a machined flat in the frame that you do not see. If the retaining screws are too tight they can prevent the cylinders from going 'home' as it were. Proper tension of the set screws should allow for lots of 'wiggle' room. There only real purpose is to prevent the cylinders from either twisting to much or falling downwards when pressure is removed.

Steve
    Steve,
    I believe Adrian is referring to the rear in this case

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Chris,

Your right - had forgotten this had to do with the rears. OTOH the same mechanics apply to the rear. You just cannot tighten the triangular 'set' collar and create the same kind of problems one can do with the front set screws. Hope Adrian is not to confused by my switching back to front

Steve

Fellow Frogger

The front cylinder retaining bolts also have a thin locknut so they can be tightened just enough to retain the cylinder but not prevent it seating and then be secured. It's possible some cars will have lost the correct pointy bolts and/or the locknut by now.

Fellow Frogger!

Dave,

Not a real problem, in my experience, at least here on the West Coast of the US. The real problem that has been run into are owners and/or mechanics not that familiar with the cars who don't realize that for proper operation of the suspension the cylinder's collar needs to find their proper place as weight is applied. With the fronts and those bolts it is possible (and have seen it happen) that the cylinder gets locked at an angle with over tightening - causes all kinds of ride problems as well as bad short term wear.

Steve

Richo was correct, the diaphragm has failed. It was of inferior quality, because it lost its elasticity prematurely. A faulty batch possibly so Pleiades will replace all 4.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information