Bonnet underlay: question on adhesive
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Bonnet underlay: question on adhesive

I took delivery of a set of bonnet lining/underlay pads for the D Special last week, and set about removing the old set and cleaning up the old glue on the underside of the bonnet today.

Which brings me to the question of what to use as an adhesive for the new set. It gets hot in there and I need an adhesive that will effectively glue the felt pads to the bonnet. The local repco shop suggested sikaflex, but I am not sure how heat tolerant it will be.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Advertisement
    Last edited by ajaxvte; 9th November 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Specifiy vehicle

In the interests of science I have just put a piece of fully cured sikaflex in the oven at 100deg C, I'll report back in half an hour with the results.

Sweet as a nut, The Sikaflex got plenty hot but didn't melt or distort in any way, it is however, flammable if held to a blowtorch, much like any other type of rubber.

I use Sikaflex quite a lot in construction and is used on hot tin rooves extensively and takes years to break down.

So I say go for it.

1000+ Posts

Use the Sikaflex but dont get it on you;sticks like shit to a blanket.

Fellow Frogger

Sikaflex will certainly hold it in place. 3M Super Trim Adhesive 77 was for a long time the spray adhesive of choice, but it seems it is no longer sold here, presumably due to it's solvents. You could call Wurth and order their Power Spray Glue Plus 400ml item# 0890 100 064. Not cheap though at about $35 per can plus post. You'll need the best part of a can to do the bonnet lining, but you will easily go through another couple fitting up the headlining and other trim.

Thread Information