C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic

I would like to share an experience with others.

The C5 ( a 2 litre diesel ) at 7 years of age and 65000 ks had begun to deliver inconsistent 2nd to 3rd up changes, that were very dependent on throttle setting, but I still couldn't drive around it so off to EUROSERVE ( in Brisbane ) it went.

Fresh genuine oil in the gearbox ( I don't know if this box has a filter ) , and no doubt a chat with Lexia, and all is back to what it was or even better than it has ever been. It now readily sings through changes and is more likely to pick up 6th on a 90 km/h motorway. Genuine oil was charged at approx $18 a litre and it needed 7.5 litres.

Advertisement

The exercise was well worth the effort.

doesn't matter what the service book says, change the oil in the Auto every 20k at the very least. Good to hear it solved your problem.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Citroen's are very sneaky. I would suspect it's just pretending to be fixed before throwing the timing belt or something equally expensive
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

M. C5_ V6_ 2006
    Oh !! Ye of little faith,
    Timing belt, water pump and a couple of oil seals on crankshaft and camshaft were tackled at the same time..preventive stuff. The car has done only 65ks but time was up on the belt and coolant anyway.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by C5_V6_2006 View Post
    Citroen's are very sneaky. I would suspect it's just pretending to be fixed before throwing the timing belt or something equally expensive
    You'd be well advised to keep an eye on your V6's crank pulley/damper and beware any wobbles. That can be very expensive!

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David,

It seems M. Citroen has had a habit of selecting poor automatic transmission suppliers. The Borg Warner 35 in DSs got a bad name early on ( mixing oils and porous castings ), more recently the AL$s ( great GERMAN stuff that SIEMENS product ) and now you tell me the ( Japanese sourced ) AM6 isn't to be trusted. The torque converter in my GS always leaked around the central seal on the shaft, ....... It seems the more things change the more they stay the same >>> Inadequate engine mounts seems to be another almost "traditional " fault carried over even in these PSA days.

Fellow Frogger

No, the AM6 is an excellent transmission and used in a number of excellent cars from major manufacturers, but called different things. However, like everything mechanical, it can eventually develop faults.
    UFO and pdjones like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David, I breathe again. I hang on your every word you see ...LOL

1000+ Posts

A list of users of the transmission is here: AWTF-80 SC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    UFO and Ronhic like this.

Autotrans adaptive resets will only be temporary ,the main problem is already exists which is sticky solenoids due to contamination from factory.or glycol from cooler.resetting just puts the solenoids on a good part of the pin until adaptations are finished from driving normally.then solenoid pin will be back running the sticky part again. Good luck anyway
    nota likes this.

The am6 I have is hard shifting and occasionally revs up high between up shifts like it's momentarily out of gear. I expected something like this so took out the extra $2k 5yr cover option from the dealer. Found saddleton automatics in coffs Harbor who can do a valve body change for 1800. So will likely get that done on warranty once the land Rover this car replaced finishes having its auto rebuilt under warranty too ... Though I might try an oil change first. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by haydent View Post
    The am6 I have is hard shifting and occasionally revs up high between up shifts like it's momentarily out of gear. I expected something like this so took out the extra $2k 5yr cover option from the dealer. Found saddleton automatics in coffs Harbor who can do a valve body change for 1800. So will likely get that done on warranty once the land Rover this car replaced finishes having its auto rebuilt under warranty too ... Though I might try an oil change first. ..

I read these posts and continue to wonder why so many folk buy automatics.

No doubt there is a good reason? We've just avoided them altogether.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I would too. I grew up on manuals. But the gf won't drive them. ..

Quote Originally Posted by haydent View Post
    I would too. I grew up on manuals. But the gf won't drive them. ..

That is certainly a very valid reason!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I read these posts and continue to wonder why so many folk buy automatics.

No doubt there is a good reason? We've just avoided them altogether.
    Hi John,
    I have joint problems and have had my clutch hip replaced twice now. A manual car irritates it. I also have got to like them now
    No doubt there is a price to pay however particularly with French cars.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi John,
    I have joint problems and have had my clutch hip replaced twice now. A manual car irritates it. I also have got to like them now
    No doubt there is a price to pay however particularly with French cars.
    Jaahn
    Ouch. Now that's a reason!

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, come to think of it in my case, given that I do love my C-matic....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    You'd be well advised to keep an eye on your V6's crank pulley/damper and beware any wobbles. That can be very expensive!

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.[/QUOTE]

If your in Brisbane there is an auto transmission guy at Stafford that reconditions the solenoids with a ASIN repair kit for a lot less than new ones and he does clean the filter on an oil change ... be thankful you don't have a crosser or a 4007 with the DCT / DCS The local Peugeot Price for the oil is $1700 + TRADE PRICE Ford sell the same stuff for $37.00 a ltr needs 5.5 ltrs for a change
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Thanks David,

It seems M. Citroen has had a habit of selecting poor automatic transmission suppliers. The Borg Warner 35 in DSs got a bad name early on ( mixing oils and porous castings ), more recently the AL$s ( great GERMAN stuff that SIEMENS product ) and now you tell me the ( Japanese sourced ) AM6 isn't to be trusted. The torque converter in my GS always leaked around the central seal on the shaft, ....... It seems the more things change the more they stay the same >>> Inadequate engine mounts seems to be another almost "traditional " fault carried over even in these PSA days.
    Well if something works why change it.

bas

Good luck with the transmission. Mine suffered the same fate and an oil change only fixed it temporarily. I ended up having to replace the valvebody with a refurbished one for $2,000 including labour which isn't too bad. Has been going strong ever since.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

good to hear that, how many kms had it done ? as im hoping i can just get away with that too and not a complete box change

Shop around if you need a VB, I recently bought one overseas for an AW55-50SN at less than 1/3 quoted trade price and it arrived from the UK in four days.

A read of Sonnax repair products listed for any given transmission, is often a good clue as to what goes wrong in many instances.
    David S likes this.

bas

Mine has done 204,000 km and the valvebody was exchanged at 192,000 from memory after a gearbox oil change at 190,000. She's been running like a charm, gear changes have been very, very smooth since the replacement.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Good to hear that. Was the vb change brought on by the oil change ?

Quote Originally Posted by C5_V6_2006 View Post
    Believe me all cars are sneaky [email protected]@rd's, spawn of the Devil.....Things always go wrong/strip a thread, you check a part for wear (as per the factory manual) and are looking at worse than the worse case and then the muffler burns out because you change the wiper blades.
    Brendan.
    addo and shanadoo like this.

If I only work when "in the zone" such mishaps are rare. But staying in that mental state all day, every day, is impossible!

Anyhow... A quick surf showed a UK vendor I've used before for valvebodies, offering them at £520 with VAT, brand new.

An informed phone call (ie; know your lingo and don't be a plonker) gets the tax knocked off, last one was £55 extra UPS'd to my door. So you could potentially have an OEM sourced TF80-SC valvebody for just under $900 on your doorstep. Of course, you have bugger-all usable warranty on such an item; it comes down to you either being confident with a vendor, or not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information