Cx oil filter mounting o rings
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cx oil filter mounting o rings

As the title states can anyone enlighten me as to the size of these 3little devils as the safari has a slight incontence problem from this location
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

13.6x 19.4 x 2.7 cx 2500. 79 03 065 155

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by mork63ukCGAT View Post
    Is that with or without cadmium plating or anodisation?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It's sad what a little envy will do .... Your brains been shaken and shuddered to much by driving the C4 right ??
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's sad what a little envy will do .... Your brains been shaken and shuddered to much by driving the C4 right ??
    Not envy Shane, admiration. Having seen the car "in the flesh" I can tell you that you would drool all over it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Cad plating is carcinogenic- anodising is almost as frustrating as having cancer...

Oil leaks are traditional!

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Cad plating is carcinogenic- anodising is almost as frustrating as having cancer...

Oil leaks are traditional!
    When the result is as per Neil's car, it is superb. Click the link for more if you haven't seen them already

icccr2012day2 68 by UFO1966, on Flickr
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by mork63ukCGAT View Post
    If you purchase 'Viton' O rings they will be more heat resistant. Any good bearing supplier can provide the seals in this material! Stops the problem of leakage due to hard inflexible seals!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    If you purchase 'Viton' O rings they will be more heat resistant. Any good bearing supplier can provide the seals in this material! Stops the problem of leakage due to hard inflexible seals!
    And they will hopefully give you a Material Safety Data Sheet, various acronyms used, for Viton. Warning science content! If Viton is exposed to very high temperatures ie fire the sticky residue contains Fluorine Acid, this sh!t starred in the first Alien movie when it burnt through the spaceship's decks. This isn't fiction it is fact and several deaths have occurred as it turns calcium into jelly. You can turn into a bucket of toxic 'stuff' due to contact. I have to do the warning as the results are horrid when it goes wrong. That said it is a fantastic solution for extreme oil temperature sealing problems, many skid steer operators just about weep tears of Joy when they have found out about it, that and synthetic oil and massive oil coolers.....A 40C day will have a North American skid steer going 'over temp' within 20 minutes as the tank capacity is pumped through in under 30 seconds. A leading brand had a 70 litre tank and a 210 litre a minute pump, it would cook chips! Off Topic, I know, but I don't want anyone getting burnt with Fluorine acid. Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    And they will hopefully give you a Material Safety Data Sheet, various acronyms used, for Viton. Warning science content! If Viton is exposed to very high temperatures ie fire the sticky residue contains Fluorine Acid, this sh!t starred in the first Alien movie when it burnt through the spaceship's decks. This isn't fiction it is fact and several deaths have occurred as it turns calcium into jelly. You can turn into a bucket of toxic 'stuff' due to contact. I have to do the warning as the results are horrid when it goes wrong. That said it is a fantastic solution for extreme oil temperature sealing problems, many skid steer operators just about weep tears of Joy when they have found out about it, that and synthetic oil and massive oil coolers.....A 40C day will have a North American skid steer going 'over temp' within 20 minutes as the tank capacity is pumped through in under 30 seconds. A leading brand had a 70 litre tank and a 210 litre a minute pump, it would cook chips! Off Topic, I know, but I don't want anyone getting burnt with Fluorine acid. Brendan.
    That is an interesting warning! Just what conditions are necessary for Viton to turn into/release fluorine acid? Are these conditions ever likely to be met in ordinary every day use? Therefore just what is the danger when used on the side of an engine block to seal an oil filter housing where typical temperatures are in the order of 90-110 degrees celcius at the most?
    Cheers Gerry

Closest I could get was 20/3.5 and they fit neatly in the groove Viton to
    Thanks everyone for the info now driving with out the stench of burning oil on the flexi pipe
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    That is an interesting warning! Just what conditions are necessary for Viton to turn into/release fluorine acid? Are these conditions ever likely to be met in ordinary every day use? Therefore just what is the danger when used on the side of an engine block to seal an oil filter housing where typical temperatures are in the order of 90-110 degrees celcius at the most?
    The most common case is due to a fire causing charring of the o-ring. Normal oil temperatures, as you have stated, of the 90-110 C are fine it's well within the operating range. It's when the going gets 'hot and orange' due to a fuel fire that you must exercise caution, heavy rubber acid resistant gloves and correct disposal of any/all material contaminated. A good clean up of any metal parts is advised with hot soapy water, as per any acid spill, just use lots! Hope this clarifies.

Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    The most common case is due to a fire causing charring of the o-ring. Normal oil temperatures, as you have stated, of the 90-110 C are fine it's well within the operating range. It's when the going gets 'hot and orange' due to a fuel fire that you must exercise caution, heavy rubber acid resistant gloves and correct disposal of any/all material contaminated. A good clean up of any metal parts is advised with hot soapy water, as per any acid spill, just use lots! Hope this clarifies.

Brendan.
    Many thanks Brendan I appreciate the heads up on this. I have Viton seals in just the application under discussion. CXs are very good at getting over heated, especially if one does not thoroughly bleed the cooling system. They are quite hard on nitrile seals but thankfully this area is well protected from naked flame, being enclosed in an aluminium casting and nestled against the cast iron of the engine block. I see little danger in this case even though my car had been torched ( as you may have seen in the resto threads ) these seals were in perfect condition and are still doing service today.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information