BX16v hydraulic system restart after strip
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mungous

Thread: BX16v hydraulic system restart after strip

Fellow Frogger!

Default BX16v hydraulic system restart after strip

I am soon to finish the refitting of the engine and overhaul of the hydraulic system. Any suggestions on the best way to "restart" the hydraulics? All components were removed and most stripped down and cleaned/rebuilt, so the system is starting from a dry position.
    My thoughts are to fill the inlet hose to the pump and have a "tank" suspended on the inlet side of the hose to allow gravity to feed the pump at the beginning, then connect the hose to the reservoir. Obviously the pressure bypass will be open a few turns.
    Any other things?
    This is all assuming the engine runs after the rebuild

Cheers
    Michael

Advertisement

As a general rule, priming the pump is a good idea if you've had it apart. If not, it will probably work fine.

That said, one of my valvers decided it wouldn't build up any pressure after I repaired a blown PAS hose, and I only got that going after using a header tank in the manner you describe.

I would start the car with the pressure reg relief valve open, and close it once you've established the other systems are working properly. Your ears will tell you if the system is then behaving correctly - the pump will whir, the pressure reg should hiss, and then a click will tell you you have full pressure. Then monitor the LHM level in the reservoir and check for leaks. For the next 10 years.
    flipperman likes this.

Just pour some LHM done the inlet hose until it is full then connect to the normal tank in the normal position. Make sure the pressure regulator screw is undone 2 turns, then start the engine. Let it idle while you or somebody else is looking into the tank. After a while you should see the mouse effect as the air laden oil is returned. Do the pressure screw up and release after the pump cuts out a few times, then put car to normal height. Check LHM level. Put to intermediate, check level, put to high. Drop to low then back up to high 3 times. Check LHM level. Then bleed the brakes, all4 of them and you will be good to go
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all for the advice.
    After a full engine rebuild I got it started for the first time this afternoon. Started first go
    I had the hydraulic pump disconnected - figured I would make sure it was going to run first - so tomorrow I hope to get to the hydraulics.
    Cheers
    Michael
    BX16v

That is good to see another BX saved. Be patient with hydraulic system but if you fill the supply to pump hose before you connect it back to the tank you will be in the same position you would be in after an LHM change. I have never had problems doing as I said before.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I found a good tip on an overseas forum. Pull the main return line off the reservoir. Open the regulator bleed screw and then apply a little air pressure onto the exposed reservoir port. This will blow some LHM down the line into the pump. Release the air pressure by lifting up the filler lid (which you have been holding onto) sp that you don't get a spurt back out of the return port.

Worked well for me last time I had to do this on a 16V.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thread Information