C4 2007 gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C4 2007 gearbox

Tadpole

Default C4 2007 gearbox

I believe there were some serious issues with the gearbox in Series 1 and 2, 2002 through 2007. Apparently the unit was completely sealed with the idea that it would never need servicing, but in some the oil dried out or leaked and the owner would be up for a new gearbox with not much change from $5K. I am interested in a 2007 model C4 and am wondering whether the new gearbox was implemented some time in 2007. Can anyone comment on this?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

AL4 4 speed auto, presumably.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    AL4 4 speed auto, presumably.
    All I know at this point is that the car is a 1.6 EGS HDI 6 speed Auto

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Michos View Post
    So it is the cogged manual gearbox with self changing/clutching etc. If it is like our C4 which has near 90,000km on it, it should be good. Yes the clutch will wear out one day, as they do, but that happens.

Others may comment further with greater experience.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

That's a 1.6 turbo diesel mated to a 6 speed standard gearbox with a very fast mechanical changing system. It isn't a conventional torque converter auto, and even though it has electronically controlled self changing, which can sometimes be a little jerky, many of us prefer to change manually, but without having to master a clutch pedal.

There's an extensive description of the transmission here - http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/c4egsgearbox.pdf. I don't know the dates for improvements, sorry.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Michos View Post
    Unless you are buying the 2.0HDi C4, all of the automatics in the old C4 range are mated to petrol engines and are the AL4 type gearbox. The model called an 'EGS' at that point was an automated manual and you should think of the experience as being like a manual driven by a very competent driver as opposed to a regular slippery automatic. It's a good system and generally reliable, but a new dual mass flywheel, if required, could add considerably to the cost of a clutch job. You should be most interested in the service history and ensuring it's had the oil changed regularly, preferably every 10K, but no more than 20K for a country car and using a good synthetic oil. As it has a particle filter, you might ask about changing the particle filter additive bag, as it might need to be renewed around 100K, depending on how it's been used.

Thread Information