BX 16V motor noise
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default BX 16V motor noise

Hi all,

Following the failure of the alternator on Friday night I have just 'finished' replacing it, and with everything back together the motor is making an odd noise at anything much above idle - half scream/half whistle. This is accompanied by the engine light coming on after about a minute of running.

To my ear the noise is coming from around the distributor cap, although it could also be where the manifold meets the motor.

Advertisement

Has anyone suffered anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by LeRob View Post
    Hi all,

Following the failure of the alternator on Friday night I have just 'finished' replacing it, and with everything back together the motor is making an odd noise at anything much above idle - half scream/half whistle. This is accompanied by the engine light coming on after about a minute of running.

To my ear the noise is coming from around the distributor cap, although it could also be where the manifold meets the motor.

Has anyone suffered anything similar?
    Is the aux belt nice and tight after fitting the alternator? Sometimes hard to pick where noise is coming from but that's where I'd be looking.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Chris,

The belt is very tight - I originally thought it might be a belt rubbing on a plastic guard, but eliminated that. The noise is definitely coming from the distributor cap area. In the absence of other suggestions I will check the rotor button tomorrow as I have had that come loose once upon a time.

Not impossible that it's a leaky inlet manifold gasket.. They make a noise like this. If it disappears when you open the throttle half way or more, that's where I'd be looking.

Unlikely that it'd leak if you haven't disturbed the manifold though..

I assume you've removed the alternator belt and run it to confirm nothing is wrong at that end..?

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies - the prize goes to R12 (sort of) with an intake leak caused by not doing up the manifold bolts quite as much as necessary. I imagine the engine light was because of a discrepancy between the readings of the air flow sensor and lambda sensor.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the replies - the prize goes to R12 (sort of) with an intake leak caused by not doing up the manifold bolts quite as much as necessary. I imagine the engine light was because of a discrepancy between the readings of the air flow sensor and lambda sensor.

Cheers

Rob
    Glad to hear you sorted it out !

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers

Rob
    Just a question from a BX16v owner. Did you remove the intake manifold to change the alternator belt? If you did - Why?

Cheers
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Michael,

Changed the alternator itself, not the belt. I looked at removing it with the manifold in place but threw that in the too hard basket pretty quickly

Rob

Erm, the alternator comes off really easily with the manifold in place! Remove adjuster mechanism, slacken off pivot bolt and withdraw as far as it goes, then position alternator so you can undo the 10mm nut, disconnect the field wire and you're done.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    Erm, the alternator comes off really easily with the manifold in place! Remove adjuster mechanism, slacken off pivot bolt and withdraw as far as it goes, then position alternator so you can undo the 10mm nut, disconnect the field wire and you're done.
    I second that. Never removed the inlet to remove the alternator. There is a cut-out in the alternator pivot and the bolt is "waisted" to let the cut-out fit.

yep and it is quicker and easier to take the manifold off and have access to everything for the sake of a few bolts and 2 nuts. Excellent time to change the oil(filter) as well. Everything is so open with the manifold sitting on top of the cam cover.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information