• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec

Thread: DS rear view mirror

mnm

Default DS rear view mirror

Hello all

does anyone have experience pulling apart the DS rear view mirrors. I have a spare one for my 1970 model and there is dust in the mirror..behind the glass. I can see plastic tabs at the top and bottom of the mirror frame but given that it's 40 year old plastic I'm not confident in dismantling it?

Advertisement

Any advice?

Thanks

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hello all

does anyone have experience pulling apart the DS rear view mirrors. I have a spare one for my 1970 model and there is dust in the mirror..behind the glass. I can see plastic tabs at the top and bottom of the mirror frame but given that it's 40 year old plastic I'm not confident in dismantling it?

Any advice?

Thanks

Matthew
    Matthew,
    I'm sure I've read on this forum that michaelr has had success using a hair dryer (or was it a heat gun) to assist in separating the cover. I'm sure if he reads this he will confirm one way or another.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Would you believe that I have just last week.

Twice! I did not follow my wife's instructions to use a lint free cloth! And upon pulling it apart and putting together; I repeated the exercise as I was disappointed with the lint I left behind after washing and cleaning glass and mirror.

I had removed R V mirror from windscreen. I could not see how it could be achieved without doing so.

After studying the assembly and trying to push down the four plastic tabs it dawned on me that it is impossible to push down on the plastic tabs as at the location of the tabs is the glass/mirror. So the Engineer in me was awakened! The tabs don't go down as at that location the glass/mirror prevent the tabs from doing so, so, the metal housing goes up!

I had slightly chamfered one edge of the bottom tabs (razor blade job, can't be seen once back on the D) and with the old fashioned staple remover I forced it under the metal housing where the tab was chamfered and slowly pushed the plastic surround out whilst lifting the metal body up. Slowly and bit by bit working on both tabs one at a time until the plastic tabs were clear of the slot that retains/locates them on the metal body.

Once the plastic tabs were free, glass/mirror plastic housing pop out.

Prior to re-assembly, I had to undertake ever so slight panel work on the metal work that I lifted to enable the plastic tabs to slide away from the body.

I used a Loctite product to stick the mirror back on the windscreen - as it was recently done (last week), time will tell how well it sticks as summer will be the test I'd reckon.

By the by, the Loctite product was purchased from Repco and whislt Loctite recommended MR3 size adhesive pack for a D size mirror (modern mirrors have a small separate plate glued to the glass that the mirror is attached to; that is, the R V mirror is not glued to the glass but attached to the metal plate glued to the windscreen) and all Repco had was the MR2 size, nevertheless, in reading the instruction that 5 drops of adhesive was required and the rest was to be discarded I proceeded with the the MR2 size pack. It was more than sufficient which meant less was thrown out.

Any further queries please advise.

John

PS: Replacement kits are available where not cheap if I recall (but were considered ).

Hello all

Any advice?

Thanks

Matthew

I had tackled the "R V mirror" restoration as a result of discussions with michaelr.

End result looks bloody good. Armor All'd the whole lot and even lubricated the spring mechanism.

If I were home, I'd post a picture of the end result - very pleased I did it as it was cheesing me off every time I looked at it!

John

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Matthew,
    I'm sure I've read on this forum that michaelr has had success using a hair dryer (or was it a heat gun) to assist in separating the cover. I'm sure if he reads this he will confirm one way or another.

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    I had tackled the "R V mirror" restoration as a result of discussions with michaelr.

End result looks bloody good. Armor All'd the whole lot and even lubricated the spring mechanism.

If I were home, I'd post a picture of the end result - very pleased I did it as it was cheesing me off every time I looked at it!

John
    Excellent write up John, very clear instructions for anyone in the same boat

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

And here is the end result. Very happy with it.

Old fashioned Bostich Staple Remover that I used included. Same "tool" was used to prise glass / mirror in and out of the plastic surround with tip wrapped in electrical tap (one layer only to keep thickness down) and to reinsert whole assembly back into the metal R V mirror housing.

DS rear view mirror-img_4192.jpg

By the by, my D was a country vehicle and the fine clay dirt, bull dust is everywhere - ingrained everywhere. So, I took the opportunity to lift off the speaker grill and cleaned that to (not selling the stuff, but Armor All works magic).

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Excellent write up John, very clear instructions for anyone in the same boat

Cheers
    Chris

mnm

Thanks muchly John. I'll have a go tonight. This is the type of RV mirror that is mounted to the dash so that's one less task to worry about at least.. just bolt it in place.

Matthew

mnm

Well... how easy was that... here's a few pics for your reference.

Glass and mirror just popped out as John said.. once the metal was lifted, as you can see in the pic.

Here you can see the plastic surround.. the clear glass sits in the front groov and the mirror in the rear.

Here's the mirror back in.. held in place by the small tabs around the rim.

All clean..yay!

And popped back into the frame... now to just respray the stem!

Matthew

Great Matthew, I'm sure many willl be please with the pics and they won't hesitate to pull theirs apart.

Every time I looked at that mirror it was pi#$ing me off and when I pulled it off the D and could not see how to pull it apart it was cheesing me even more.

As I said it just dawned in me that I was pushing instead of lifting. Thereafter it was a breeze; it fact I did it twice.

John

Well... how easy was that... here's a few pics for your reference.

Glass and mirror just popped out as John said.. once the metal was lifted, as you can see in the pic.

Here you can see the plastic surround.. the clear glass sits in the front groov and the mirror in the rear.

Here's the mirror back in.. held in place by the small tabs around the rim.

All clean..yay!

And popped back into the frame... now to just respray the stem!

Matthew

Here's an idea from the Citroen Car Club in the UK

I have tried several methods to clean the interior of my mirror but never 100% successfully but having thought about my window cleaner who use de-ionised water to avoid smears I swilled the mirror with de-ionised water (battery top up) filled from the swivel mount hole left to dry in the sun and it's perfect, I have tried it on a second mirror and again perfect result!

We have to be quick in the UK, summer only lasts one day then it thunders and pisses down...
    renault12 likes this.

Thread Information