2002 C5 gear selector advice please
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon8 2002 C5 gear selector advice please

I haven't driven the C5 for 4 weeks now as I have had surgery on my shoulder & can't legally drive , however today I had the need to move it up the driveway. seemed to be a bit of resistance to go into drive but it did go in. Then into reverse ok, back to drive ok, refuses to go to park. Doesn't it always happen on a long weekend.
    I'm thinking it's in the selector in the console but I really am guessing. Problem is I am unable to do anything physical on it the because of the surgery, arm in sling & recovery at a very delicate stage where I could very easily undo the repair if I attempt anything. Relatively new to this area where we now live so no real knowledge of local mechanics & have had bad experience with non citroen experienced people. Don't really want to give it to a local unless it is a simple " just need to tighten up these bolts" job. DS do all the work on it for me but I won't know their situation until at least tuesday & of course will it do the distance without doing a french dummy spit ( 2 1/2 hr drive ) Please note I am not asking anyone to come & physically help just needing advice. cheers Dave

Advertisement

Dave have a read through this thread C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

Your problem may or not be the detent pin but at least you will see what is involved for a temporary fix until a new part is fitted (if needed).

Given the car has not been used for 4 weeks, your problem may be an electrical contact at the brake switch, try hitting the brake pedal hard a few times and see if contacts can be woken up, you should hear the solenoid at the gear shift cut in/out.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Chris , thanks for your reply. just to clarify, the car has been used daily by the good lady but I haven't driven it because of my operation. She hasn't noticed any problems with it to date. We had that part replaced when we bought the car about 4 yrs ago but maybe it's broken again. I thought that when that part breaks the car ends up being locked in park whereas ours is in the drive/neutral/reverse position & won't go to park but I guess that can still be the cause depending on where the gear lever was when it broke. Theoretically we will still be able to drive it so will give it a go tomorrow. cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy1 View Post
    Hi Chris , thanks for your reply. just to clarify, the car has been used daily by the good lady but I haven't driven it because of my operation. She hasn't noticed any problems with it to date. We had that part replaced when we bought the car about 4 yrs ago but maybe it's broken again. I thought that when that part breaks the car ends up being locked in park whereas ours is in the drive/neutral/reverse position & won't go to park but I guess that can still be the cause depending on where the gear lever was when it broke. Theoretically we will still be able to drive it so will give it a go tomorrow. cheers Dave
    Ahh OK, I would doubt the detent pin would be at fault if it has been replaced.
    Sounds dumb but what is the condition of the battery? I've heard of this happening when a battery is on the way out (i.e. not going into park). If you have a battery charger maybe putting it on charge overnight may help?

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

OK , so put battery on charge overnight, nothings changed this morning apart from it not wanting to start & showing " engine immobiliser fault" . After 3rd attempt it started but the gear selector situation is the same. need to go out late this morning so am I likely to get stuck somewhere with no access to drive as the movement through reverse/manual/drive to manual is showing some resistance. I guess best not to drive it unless unavoidable. cheers Dave

OK , so put battery on charge overnight, nothings changed this morning apart from it not wanting to start & showing " engine immobiliser fault" . After 3rd attempt it started but the gear selector situation is the same. need to go out late this morning so am I likely to get stuck somewhere with no access to drive as the movement through reverse/manual/drive to manual is showing some resistance. I guess best not to drive it unless unavoidable. cheers Dave
    Not having too much success are we

It is starting to sound like something is adrift and blocking the free movement of the shift lever, most likely cause of mechanical fault would have to be the detent pin ( I understood the new replacement would outlast the car).

I assume you mean the shift is locked out of park but you can select reverse/neutral/ and drive, and you are starting the car in neutral?

It's a shame you are so far away, it's not a big job to investigate, 10 minutes max, but with your shoulder injury removing a stubborn gear shift lever might not be a good idea for you.

As it is it is impossible to say how reliable the car might be if you drive it, driving is not the problem but moving the shift could possibly have you locked out of neutral and unable to start or select reverse.

Remotely that is about as much help as I can be, good luck with it and please let us know what proves to be the fault.

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes Chris, this is the situation
    I assume you mean the shift is locked out of park but you can select reverse/neutral/ and drive, and you are starting the car in neutral?

and this is the worrying bit

driving is not the problem but moving the shift could possibly have you locked out of neutral and unable to start or select reverse.
    need to go out in a 1/2 hour or so , might see if I can get the traction out of the shed, cheers Dave

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hi there Dave and Chris,

I can surely sympathise, being out of hospital myself this afternoon with kidney stones. First thing I did when got home is read emails and check aussiefrogs. I am the previous owner of Dave's car and indeed the gear selector detent pin had given us trouble probably 6 years ago, but I know DS motors fixed it when Dave bought the car. The battery on it was only new (3-6months) then. But it had a habit of chewing batteries reasonably quick. Other than that I can't remember any other issues. Hope it gets sorted soon and with minimal fuss.
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi harrisson_citroen , Thanks for your input. Managed to do the required travel today with the traction so that base covered. I might have a go at getting the gear lever off tomorrow without doing myself further injury,( it just pulls off right, no retaining screws etc?) if that works I can proceed with getting the other gear out of the way & maybe the detent pin arrangement has just come loose or something or at least I can see what the problem is. I'm aware that they are sensitive to battery condition but I really don't think that is the problem as it feels more like somethings moved & creating resistance, plus the battery feels strong ( yes it is technically near the end of it's life). cheers Dave

1000+ Posts

I copied this from a Citroen manual:
    2002 C5 gear selector advice please-screenshot-1.png

Fellow Frogger!

now I know what the problem is. The rugger blind is cracked & therefore twisting & fouling the selector, after removal the shifter seems to work fine. I'm thinking that this is simply a dust cover so how important is it or does it serve some other purpose?2002 C5 gear selector advice please-rimg1675.jpg

now I know what the problem is. The rugger blind is cracked & therefore twisting & fouling the selector, after removal the shifter seems to work fine. I'm thinking that this is simply a dust cover so how important is it or does it serve some other purpose?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG1675.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	48577
    Well done Dave,

That is definitely your problem, my thoughts are that in the short term removing the blind won't be a problem. There must be no shortage of second hand replacements in wreckers yards, so I'd be on the lookout for a good used replacement.

Thanks for the update, something else for us owners of early C5s to be aware of.

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Good one Dave.

Great to know it was only a simple fix. If only shoulders and kidney stones were that easy to fix......
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Wow; I'll need to remember this one. A simple fix on a Citroen? Now go buy a lotto ticket.

Thread Information