BX 16 Valve security valve leak
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default BX 16 Valve security valve leak

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this. I have a slow LHM leak from the security valve (just checking - this is mounted on the cross-member next to the rear lower control arm bushing, yes?) that I can't locate - partly because I can't get a decent look at the thing. This appears to be a pretty common fault - which bit is leaking and do I need to remove the whole valve to fix it?

Thanks
    Duncan

Advertisement

Most likely the return line. No no need to remove. We have replaced the return as it is a plastic tube pushed into a rubber hose.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger

The priority and security valves are quite simple and could leak from one of the pipe seals, one of two end cap o-rings or the leakback return, but that should be an exceptionally small leakback. It's more likely to be something else in the area.

We replaced the HC as it was leaking quite badly. The amount of fluid would indicate that it could have come from anywhere.

The priority valve return is likely in tandem with the accumulator leakoff return, the hard plastic lines tee together, this could account for the greater than expected fluid amount. This was our experience when leaks were still found after the HC was replaced. The rubber coming off the PV takes a nasty sharp turn and may have split there.
    Last edited by cruiserman; 7th July 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: #%^* autocorrect
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan16v View Post
    Hi all

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this. I have a slow LHM leak from the security valve (just checking - this is mounted on the cross-member next to the rear lower control arm bushing, yes?) that I can't locate - partly because I can't get a decent look at the thing. This appears to be a pretty common fault - which bit is leaking and do I need to remove the whole valve to fix it?

Thanks
    Duncan
    For a decent look at it you should only have to remove passenger side front wheel. We have used 2 solutions for the 16v's depeding on the level of access available (i.e. engine in or out). Happy to detail further if you're interested.

Thread Information