Xsara rego inspection today/yesterday
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Xsara rego inspection today/yesterday

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xsara rego inspection today/yesterday

So full of confidence I put the Xsara up to have a rego inspection certificate done today..solid as a rock, and I have put lesser ready iron up to the test that passed immediately.

Fail 1) headlights aimed too low..if these numpties had any idea they would realise that there is internal electric control for this.

Fail 2) clean/repair engine/gearbox leaks....the car has sat on my driveway for 2 weeks and not ONE drop of oil. all it is is residue from poorly washered sump plugs and or previous oil changes..literally minor seeping no drips..

Fail 3) this is a beauty... rear wiper ..they said "it was stuffed" ..i said ..i saw u test it and it worked....."hhmm..oh we mean its scratching the window"..so you mean one end of the wiper blade has come out...I find this incredible as what if it didnt have a rear wiper at all...???

Just as well that I didn't have a flux capacitor fitted that was fubar!!!

then they dragged out the decibel metre.. the car has a nice free flow exhaust..a little louder than normal but nothing like you hear on the streets...esp with the likes of moronic Harley Davidsons..."oh you are lucky it is just on the limit" so was an advisable..

Advertisement

Then they brake tested it.. and oaf number two got in and took it around the block ..all good but how scientific is that? this is the same oaf that failed my BX GT for having a too hard pedal, but on that occasion he didn't even actually test drive it!!!!..these are mature mechanics that you think would have a freakin clue and have been exposed to all sorts of marques...

It really is an arbitrary lottery with these tests and they are ostensibly meaningless..all they are looking for is the $14 retest fee...

Having said that the owner of the business was not there, and he was the one last time that dissed his own testers...in his words "brake pedal too hard...there'e no pleasing some people" if only i'd been there an hour earlier...
    Last edited by 2bxornot2bx; 6th July 2013 at 01:48 AM.

Brake pedal to hard!
    Wonder how he would go on a D/SM .. yeah thats right he would still be looking for it.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

It can be a bitof a lottery getting cars inspected for registration in the ACT. When Iwent to have my DS21 inspected following its restoration, I booked it into theShell servo at Deakin. All went well until the brake test. Apparently they use some sort of strain gauge to measure pressure appliedto the pedal. Problem is no pedal , only a button. Shell rangthe government testers at Dixon who confirmed that the car had to be tested bythem.

Bit of a panic as I only had a one day permit. Shell arranged with Dixon for me to bring the car there straight awayand there was no charge by Shell for their time. The testers at Dixon were very laid back, showed interest in thecar and on my plans for its use. Thecar passed rego without any problems. Very happy.

Cheers
    Richard

Tadpole

In W.A. we don't have rego inspections, yippee!

Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    In W.A. we don't have rego inspections, yippee!
    Remind me to stay away from WA ! How ridiculous.... how can the average motorist be trusted to maintain their cars in good condition?

Richard (R Proctor), can you tell how the Government testers in the ACT finally tested your DS brakes? When I get a pink slip on a DS in NSW the tester just looks at the mushroom, dumps his test equipment and goes for a drive to check brakes by "feel".
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

UFO

A tester I used to use in North Wollongong would manage to clip their switch thing over the mushroom and drive it and brake. Always worked fine. When he did the blue slip for the CX years ago I warned him that the CX brakes were even better than the D. He zotted across his forecourt, almost locked the wheels, reversed back and said "Thanks for warning me!"
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hello Michael

The ACT uses arolling test bed, a set of rollers one behind the other into which the roadwheels drop. You are asked to apply thebrakes gradually and the rolling resistance (I guess) shows up on large gaugesbeside the test bed. I sweatconsiderably while watching the gauge. They do one axle at a time, ie left and right wheels together. The treat is when testing the rear brakes tobe a bit more adventurous in applying the brake which slams the rear of the cardown on the trailing arm. Better still,put the suspension on high and see how much reaction the gauges record.

ACT testing ispretty thorough, so I am confident that the car really is roadworthy at the endof it. I usually prefer the governmenttesting station as I have a suspicion that private garages will try and sellsome work that "must" be done to get roadworhy.

Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 2bxornot2bx View Post
    So full of confidence I put the Xsara up to have a rego inspection certificate done today..solid as a rock, and I have put lesser ready iron up to the test that passed immediately.

Fail 1) headlights aimed too low..if these numpties had any idea they would realise that there is internal electric control for this.

Fail 2) clean/repair engine/gearbox leaks....the car has sat on my driveway for 2 weeks and not ONE drop of oil. all it is is residue from poorly washered sump plugs and or previous oil changes..literally minor seeping no drips..

Fail 3) this is a beauty... rear wiper ..they said "it was stuffed" ..i said ..i saw u test it and it worked....."hhmm..oh we mean its scratching the window"..so you mean one end of the wiper blade has come out...I find this incredible as what if it didnt have a rear wiper at all...???

Just as well that I didn't have a flux capacitor fitted that was fubar!!!

then they dragged out the decibel metre.. the car has a nice free flow exhaust..a little louder than normal but nothing like you hear on the streets...esp with the likes of moronic Harley Davidsons..."oh you are lucky it is just on the limit" so was an advisable..

Then they brake tested it.. and oaf number two got in and took it around the block ..all good but how scientific is that? this is the same oaf that failed my BX GT for having a too hard pedal, but on that occasion he didn't even actually test drive it!!!!..these are mature mechanics that you think would have a freakin clue and have been exposed to all sorts of marques...

It really is an arbitrary lottery with these tests and they are ostensibly meaningless..all they are looking for is the $14 retest fee...

Having said that the owner of the business was not there, and he was the one last time that dissed his own testers...in his words "brake pedal too hard...there'e no pleasing some people" if only i'd been there an hour earlier...

I'm going to forget / take back everything I said about obtaining a RWC in Victoria.

At least I was able to "explain" that the 1974 DS 23 is French; it is a bit different to a Holden and has to be evaluated accordingly.

After the hoist inspection and test drive (brake test is a de-acceleration test) they were very impressed with the DS (I don't think that they had seen the underside of one before - not much to see really. They could not budge the wheels all solidly fixed - nothing wobbled! Solid suspension.)

(I did do the rounds though to find one that would listen)

JAJEA

RWC inspectors are largely a pain in every state. Glad Victoria only requires it at initial rego...

My best one was having to borrow some brand new Renault R10 brake discs to show to the inspector, whose "brake book" had said their minimum thickness was 9mm...

And looking at some of the heaps driving around Sydney and Canberra on NSW plates, I'm not sure the annual inspections do more than provide said clueless inspectors with an easy and regular income...

1000+ Posts

When those inertia meters first came out my local garage had a lot of trouble ,getting old landcruisers with leaf springs to pass as the didnt move forward on the springs when the brakes were applied ,that was there reasoning anyway ,so they just installed the gear on whatever they had around that they knew would pass ,problem solved ,

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    And looking at some of the heaps driving around Sydney and Canberra on NSW plates, I'm not sure the annual inspections do more than provide said clueless inspectors with an easy and regular income...
    I guess I must admit that the NSW "pink slip" is a bit of a joke. Most testers are far from meticulous. I see a lot of registered NSW cars on the road with obviously long term faults... rust, faded rear lights, poor wheel alignment, badly aimed headlights, ...

On the other hand, I have seen worse on Queensland roads. I guess they needed the additional ventilation there
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I guess they needed the additional ventilation there
    True and the secondary benefit is they slip through the air so much faster

1000+ Posts

Interesting about the Toyota pugwash. They had no meter trouble with my old Landrover with heavy-duty(!) springs fitted. The drum brakes stopped surprisingly well.

Here's a few pearlers for you...when I took the Scenic in for it's RWC/safety cert for re-rego after the ding last yera.
    1.....Rear hatch failed due to it not raising automatically..WTF...young mechanic I found who was just out of his apprenticeship reckoned it should rise on it's own. Told him in no uncertain terms he was a twat and it never did.
    2.....Front sunroof, fail, he couldn't close it....push the switch harder,
    3.....Not sure how he drove it, but apparently the thing mis-fired for him...I am going with wrong gear after a corner.
    4.....The only thing he got right was the rear high level brake light had blown it's bulb.

The best thing of all was I handed the Safety Cert back to him after he gave it to me because he had written Auto on it for gearbox. He filled that out before he drove t, but failed to correct the error.
    Was a true comedy of errors actually. Made me laugh.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Here's a few pearlers for you...when I took the Scenic in for it's RWC/safety cert for re-rego after the ding last yera.
    1.....Rear hatch failed due to it not raising automatically..WTF...young mechanic I found who was just out of his apprenticeship reckoned it should rise on it's own. Told him in no uncertain terms he was a twat and it never did.
    2.....Front sunroof, fail, he couldn't close it....push the switch harder,
    3.....Not sure how he drove it, but apparently the thing mis-fired for him...I am going with wrong gear after a corner.
    4.....The only thing he got right was the rear high level brake light had blown it's bulb.

The best thing of all was I handed the Safety Cert back to him after he gave it to me because he had written Auto on it for gearbox. He filled that out before he drove t, but failed to correct the error.
    Was a true comedy of errors actually. Made me laugh.
    And how does the general public go with such twits in charge?

JAJEA

Fellow Frogger

Well, it sounds like the ACT tester in the OP was essentially doing his job, maybe a bit picky, but he's raised possible defects with the headlight aim (Not adjusted correctly via the adjuster?), possible oil leakage (Sweaty?) and rear wiper (a basic item). They are probably also expected to check the tint darkness as well as the exhaust noise and they have guidelines about what's allowed to follow.

With the older style wipers, it's a fair cop to expect to be asked to fit a new set, but the new pedestrian-friendly variety are 10 time the price, so there would be obvious resistance there. In theory, there is a brake tester to pop on the floor and a remote actuator to strap to the pedal, but that will never tell you if just one caliper is dodgy. A CX or BX with an overly hard pedal is a good one though! At least in an XM/Xantia you get that wonderful spring, perhaps designed to fool the tester into a sense of comfortable normality. The brake test is not exactly onerous and it's a low speed stop, but it does compare the pressure on the pedal with the measured deceleration, so it's really a test of basic efficiency. You have to have quite dodgy brakes or wooden pads not to be able to pass the test.

There's not much in a rego check for a garage and many would find it more hassle than it's worth unless it's for a service client. Keeping the inspector ticket is essential for most garages just from a convenience viewpoint, so if they fear a checkup, then they would not want to be overly lenient. The cars are not expected to be as new though and you can, apparently, have some slop in parts like ball joints, so a lot of it comes down to a tester being a bit realistic within the rules. With older cars taken to a local garage (not with servicing), I used to expect to buy a set of wiper blades as part of the deal.
    Last edited by David S; 8th July 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Tadpole

I'm wondering how stringent the rego inspection was for my Xsara. It got passed last week and I've now got warning lights coming up on my dash (for about a second at a time) telling me that there's a problem with the brakes.

You probably should check to see how much fluid there is in the reservoir.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT