Stainless Sill Trim Removal
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Stainless Sill Trim Removal

I can't figure out how to remove the outer pieces of the stainless sill trim on a Pallas. How do I do this without damaging it?

Thank you
    Paul

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

GS, CX, DS .................
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Oops, forgot the model.

The car is a 1969 DS21.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    GS, CX, DS .................
    From previous posts I glean a 69' DS Pallas

Prising the carpet from under the raised trim will reveal pozi drive screws - remove these to release the trim.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Assuming DS ... You have to pull the carpet out of the edging to get at the screws on top of the sill. If the carpet is original, you will likely find it breaks up when you try to pull at it. They are Posidriv screw heads, NOT Philips, so make sure you have a Posidriv bit or screwdriver or you will make your life very much more difficult with part rusted screws. Once you get those screws out (4 or 5 per cover), you can (ignoring pillar trim that might be in the way) lift the sill top covers off to reveal a row of otherwise hidden screws just above the grey rubber strip. These hold the lower sill covers on, together with the visible screws at the bottom.

There's a good chance the screw heads will be badly rusted. They are plated steel holding stainless steel covers and that can form a galvanic pair and accelerate the rusting of the steel parts. Be wary of using stainless screws as you may end up with lovely screws and a rusty body where they screw in unless you provide some protection against corrosion. For boats, you could buy a tube of green goo, an aviation product apparently, that is useful for electrically isolating stainless fitting from aluminium spars. Being bright green, it may not be the best option for the car! It's just something to keep in mind when fitting the stainless trim to the mild steel panels.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Assuming DS ... You have to pull the carpet out of the edging to get at the screws on top of the sill. If the carpet is original, you will likely find it breaks up when you try to pull at it. They are Posidriv screw heads, NOT Philips, so make sure you have a Posidriv bit or screwdriver or you will make your life very much more difficult with part rusted screws. Once you get those screws out (4 or 5 per cover), you can (ignoring pillar trim that might be in the way) lift the sill top covers off to reveal a row of otherwise hidden screws just above the grey rubber strip. These hold the lower sill covers on, together with the visible screws at the bottom.

There's a good chance the screw heads will be badly rusted. They are plated steel holding stainless steel covers and that can form a galvanic pair and accelerate the rusting of the steel parts. Be wary of using stainless screws as you may end up with lovely screws and a rusty body where they screw in unless you provide some protection against corrosion. For boats, you could buy a tube of green goo, an aviation product apparently, that is useful for electrically isolating stainless fitting from aluminium spars. Being bright green, it may not be the best option for the car! It's just something to keep in mind when fitting the stainless trim to the mild steel panels.
    My car is not a Pallas and should not have carpet but this illustrates what David is talking about.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

Thanks for the info. The carpet is original and in excellent condition other than some fading so I'll have to see if I can pull it free without tearing it. The frame is in good shape but there is some surface rust on the outer sill I would like to get at.

Paul

Tadpole

That went easier than I expected.
    The carpet came out with no damage.
    All the screws came out using the posidrive.

Again, thank you
    Paul

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Wow ... I thought they were always spherical lumps of rust ... not screws
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Where did Greenblood find those white door kiss strips? Lots of people are looking for those.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Where did Greenblood find those white door kiss strips? Lots of people are looking for those.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Citroworld from memory

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information