New to AussieFrogs, not new to frogs...
  • Help

Default New to AussieFrogs, not new to frogs...

Hi all,

I have a long tradition of CitroŽn ownership in my family here in NZ, stretching unbroken back to 1962. I've not been without one myself since I started driving in the 80s.

Currently, I have a phase 1 BX19 Gti 16 valve (track day use only) and a phase 2 BX16v (original but needs a respray). And a 308sw HDi for reliable transport...

If I had more space I'd own more, especially another DS (I sold my low mileage '63 ID19 in a fit of insanity - still bugs me to this day) or a GS of some kind. I've had many of them (1015, 1220, X2, GSA) and still think they're one of the most under-appreciated cars in the world. Luckily, I've learned an awful lot about these cars, and do all my own work. There's not many others I'd trust with a spanner on my cars...

Advertisement

Anyhoo, nice to see some trans-Tasman appreciation of France's finest, and I look forward to sharing the joys (and pains) of frog ownership with you.

Me too. I started in 1965 and have no intention of stopping. Welcome to the forums.

Doing the dance with the AF app. Wooohooo

Moi aussi ! Dad bought his first in 1954 and I have never been without one ever since!
    Cheers Gerry

welcome to the forum....
    I used to live in Papakura when i was a little fella...
    I didn't see my first Citroen ...a D...until the 80's and then I didn't look back!!
    Hope you get a nice Citroen to keep you entertained...
    cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Welcome and hello -
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Mungous!

I am a relative newcomer to Citroen... I got my first ID19 in 1970. That was a funny time in DS history as although brand new ones were available at huge cost in Australia the early cars were being given away or scrapped. I was approached by my next door neighbour in 1972 while i was busy putting a clutch in my old bomb of an ID. He wanted to ask me a few questions about his new D Special. The NRMA guy had advised him never to hit the brakes too hard or he would "rip the motor off it's mounts" !

I have only recently discovered the joys of a BX. Maybe you could post a couple of pics of your track day car on the BX thread? We would love to see more:

the Bx Depreciation society
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

So finally here's a couple of pics of my BXs - the red one lives in a sleeping bag in a shed, and the white one is my track car.

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

The track car is pretty much standard, but has a roll cage, seats and proper harnesses. And a decent baffle in the sump!

The red car was my daily driver from my student days - I bought it for $400 back in 2001 with stuffed valve guides and a bunch of other problems. I've always fixed everything that has ever gone wrong with it, and it now really only needs a repaint to make it a minter (despite having done an uncountable number to KMs now).

Great looking cars there. Personally I think the earlier GTi bumpers are more attractive, another version we didn't get here but wish we had.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I also had an old 8v GTi, and so really appreciated the revised bumpers on the Phase 2 - makes the car look far more dramatic and set it apart from the lesser BXs.

I actually need replacement bumpers for both cars, so if anyone has any spare ones that they are willing to freight to NZ...

Another kiwi here, with a Dyane and Alpine A310 - two vehicles with slightly different characters

The GS was the first car I bought with my own money, and would agree that it is one of the most under-rated cars. There wasn't really anything in its class that came close, bar possibly an Alfasud. The best thing about it was that it was invisible to the old Traffic Cops. Never ever got a ticket in that, even in the old days of the 80km/h limit.

Have you tried Adlams (New Plymouth or Wellington) for the bumper?

Thread Information