CX Wiring Woes
  • Help

Thread: CX Wiring Woes

Default CX Wiring Woes

HELP CX Owners I am in the process of rewiring my 79 CX Pallas because of the previous owners welding repairs,a bad earth went back through the wiring loom & fried it, just the bit in the engine bay(sob)most of it i have repaired but the wiring to 2 electrovalves on the drivers side of the engine bay was realy fried.one valve controls vacuum to the fast idle control on the carby & is activated when the a/c is turned on but the function & control of the other valve is unknown,it has an air hose from the carby just below the air(vacuum) hose to the other valve & it returns (or the other way round) to the carby lower/closer to the manifold,it seems to sending vacuum in a loop & where does it get its power from? can't find any mention of the this valve in any publication or wiring diagram.any advice gratefully received
    Brian

Advertisement
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Compare it to your other cars. The valve you speak of is probably the air-conditioner vacuum soleniod. If you take some piccies of the problem area, we can probably guide you better
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

There was an emission control supplement for Aus models in the handbook for my 1978 built, 1979 year model car, so see if it is there.
    Last edited by David S; 28th June 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Gerry has given correct answer.

The second electro valve on the right wheel arch is for the operation of the anti pollution equipment and exhaust gas circulation for Australian and Swedish legislation. Most of the EGR and Air-pump componentry on CXs has been disabled or removed by owners over the years. It is rare to see an intact system.
    The other electro valve is for the airconditioning engaged idle step up. It also steps up the idle when the gears are engaged and the torque converter is transmitting load to the wheels ( C-Matic ). It is necessary to prevent the car stalling when at traffic lights etc. and one is sitting stationary with the car in gear.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    The second electro valve on the right wheel arch is for the operation of the anti pollution equipment and exhaust gas circulation for Australian and Swedish legislation. Most of the EGR and Air-pump componentry on CXs has been disabled or removed by owners over the years. It is rare to see an intact system.
    The other electro valve is for the airconditioning engaged idle step up. It also steps up the idle when the gears are engaged and the torque converter is transmitting load to the wheels ( C-Matic ). It is necessary to prevent the car stalling when at traffic lights etc. and one is sitting stationary with the car in gear.
    Thanks Gerry i have the idle up valve sorted just couldn't work out what the other one did.i thought it looked to be some kind of anti pollution system but it was impossible to work out if it was connected or not,the car had 18 bosch relays hanging around the battery,extra feeds feeds from the battery bypassing the ign. sw & would go flat if the battery was not disconnected overnight! i ended up just cutting all the wiring out from the fuses forward & rewiring it.
    cheers
    Brian
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

Thread Information