Question on BX height settings versus road speed
  • Help

Default Question on BX height settings versus road speed

Hi there.

Advertisement

My daughter drives the BX19 TZi most of the time. Nice car and quite sparkling performance.

Her question is whether she can use the higher of the two road use height settings at freeway speeds of 100 kph. I realise I'm not sure. My preference is not to but it might make no significant difference to drive shaft joint angles.

I wonder whether there is some advice out there. I suppose they are both designed for road use - she isn't exactly tall and finds it easier when her eyes are a bit further off the road!

Obviously I don't mean the really high setting against the bump stops.

Any thoughts please?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Your answer is NO the setting above normal is for going over objects - low river crossings, dirt mounds, rough roads etc etc and is only up to 40kmh in recommendation. Note: The center of gravity is now affected.

The setting above that is maintenance mode only and is for doing things in the workshop.

The low setting is for making the roof easier to paint ;-)
    -
    If she gets a flat she can use the suspension to do the work for her.

Also it's a good idea to raise and lower the car once a week to keep everything smooth and working right.

If you find the car is not smooth when raising in the front, use a little LHM/LHM Plus on the strut to keep everything sliding smooth again.
    Last edited by flipperman; 22nd June 2013 at 08:28 PM.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

The car should only be driven on normal height unless trying to clear a gutter or something. On a high setting the ride will be far too firm and the lack of grip during a bumpy corner would be dangerous.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Your answer is NO the setting above normal is for going over objects - low river crossings, dirt mounds, rough roads etc etc and is only up to 40kmh in recommendation. Note: The center of gravity is now affected.

The setting above that is maintenance mode only and is for doing things in the workshop.

The low setting is for making the roof easier to paint ;-)
    -
    If she gets a flat she can use the suspension to do the work for her.

Also it's a good idea to raise and lower the car once a week to keep everything smooth and working right.

If you find the car is not smooth when raising in the front, use a little LHM/LHM Plus on the strut to keep everything sliding smooth again.
    Thanks for that. Thought the answer would be something like that.

Every year or two it gets put on low to wash the roof too. Joking.

The struts became irreversibly sticky despite the usual tricks - she's just been treated to Pleiades reconditioned units. Lovely and smooth.

(They've some reconditioned rear arms in store too, using oil not grease.)
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The car should only be driven on normal height unless trying to clear a gutter or something. On a high setting the ride will be far too firm and the lack of grip during a bumpy corner would be dangerous.

Dave
    Thanks. Looks like a red panda having a lazy afternoon, your avatar. Nice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

JBN

With due respects to your daughter, I suggest that she tries to find a comfortable seat setting and get used to the driving position, as I would say that it is similar to most other cars.

I am still trying to get my wife to drive with the seat further away from the wheel, because after moving from a BX (no airbag) to a Xantia (with airbag), she is now dangerously close to being killed by the airbag. I also find it virtually impossible to slide into the drivers seat and move it back enough for the rest of my body to get into the car. She reckons she needs to sit close to "get a good view". I try to explain that an extra 1/2 metre means naught as far as visibility goes.

John
    Last edited by JBN; 22nd June 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It would be downright dangerous on "high" ... not faster than walking pace on high They drive like crap at intermidiate high too

This is what the women around here feel they need to drive .... if she gets one of these she'll sit up nice an high (and be the envy of all the cubby middle aged peroxide blondes that seem to be the ones that drive them)

Toyota Prado GXL Turbo Diesel 2010 Manual LOW KMS TOW BAR Bullbar Tints | eBay

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

In my casual job I check in rental cars on their return to the airport & it is always obvious if the car has had a female driver by the extreme closeness of the seat to the steering wheel.
    My theory is that we men are prepared to look around the obstructive windscreen pillars on the modern car, use the side windows more, & set the position to suit reach & posture. I have not noticed the same seat position differences in the large SUVs with their more upright windscreens & less windscreen " letter box " effect.
    I would venture the theory that those with the luxury of a D series in the family will find the female driver will sit in a position closer to that of the men because of the panoramic view afforded by those wonderfully slim pillars.

Cheers, Richard

1000+ Posts

Hi
    When I had a BX 19GT I used to pull it up "half " a notch to do a dirt road. The mechanism was stiff and it stayed there. It certainly improved the wheel travel and you could travel a reasonable speed more comfortably.

However my other suggestion is to raise the seat. I think I have raised the seat in every car I have owned including the current C5. A small raise seems to make a larger than expected difference to the perceived position. 20-25mm feels like a lot. Easy to do with some large nuts as spacers and often the existing bolts are long enough to accomodate the extra, or buy some longer HT bolts with socket heads if necessary. I am normal height and my wife also, but we both like to sit up rather than streached out flat
    Jaahn

JBN

Maybe a really big seat cushion and poke the head out of the sunroof. unobstricted vision all round. In case of an accident, the airbag will protect the family jewels (or give you 3 Adam's apples).

John

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It would be downright dangerous on "high" ... not faster than walking pace on high They drive like crap at intermidiate high too

This is what the women around here feel they need to drive .... if she gets one of these she'll sit up nice an high (and be the envy of all the cubby middle aged peroxide blondes that seem to be the ones that drive them)

Toyota Prado GXL Turbo Diesel 2010 Manual LOW KMS TOW BAR Bullbar Tints | eBay

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thanks Shane.

Yes, we have an epidemic of them in Perth too. Happily she loves the BX dearly and has driven it for years - just asking the question now we have recon front struts.

When I have it from time to time I take it to work and need the higher of the two driving positions to get out of the carpark quietly. It drives OK if I forget to drop it a notch as I hit the road, but soon notice if I've forgotten on the first left hand, slightly bumpy bend onto the freeway. Perth roads are generally good and straight and Perth drivers have no idea how to drive around corners, so fast corners are not that common in the suburbs or freeway (yes, THE freeway ) as there's always someone incompetent ahead of you.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    When I had a BX 19GT I used to pull it up "half " a notch to do a dirt road. The mechanism was stiff and it stayed there. It certainly improved the wheel travel and you could travel a reasonable speed more comfortably.

However my other suggestion is to raise the seat. I think I have raised the seat in every car I have owned including the current C5. A small raise seems to make a larger than expected difference to the perceived position. 20-25mm feels like a lot. Easy to do with some large nuts as spacers and often the existing bolts are long enough to accomodate the extra, or buy some longer HT bolts with socket heads if necessary. I am normal height and my wife also, but we both like to sit up rather than streached out flat
    Jaahn
    Good ideas both! Thanks. I actually use the Xantia with the seat in its higher position too. I must check whether she's raised the BX fully on its adjustments, let alone use actual spacers.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Happily she loves the BX dearly and has driven it for years.
    I think we should promote her to Prime Minister.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Good ideas both! Thanks. I actually use the Xantia with the seat in its higher position too. I must check whether she's raised the BX fully on its adjustments, let alone use actual spacers.
    John, it is highly likely that the seat cushion has sunk since new. Fortunately it it very easy to remove the lower part of the front seats and put some high density foam between the seat base and the moulded foam piece.

If you look under the front edge of the seat there are two clips holding the assembly to the frame cross bar. Further back are two rubber bands that tension the seat back and hook under the seat base. The entire seat base then lifts out of the car.

The fabric cover, which has a plastic edging strip, can be carefully prised out to the retaining channel. Removed, modified and reassembled... all in a 30 minute job!

Question on BX height settings versus road speed-1.-clips-rubber-bands.jpgQuestion on BX height settings versus road speed-2.-lift-seat-base-out.jpgQuestion on BX height settings versus road speed-3.-seat-base.jpgQuestion on BX height settings versus road speed-4.-fabric-retainers.jpgQuestion on BX height settings versus road speed-5.-foam-loose.jpgQuestion on BX height settings versus road speed-6.-extra-foam.jpg
    Last edited by michaelr; 25th June 2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    John, it is highly likely that the seat cushion has sunk since new. Fortunately it it very easy to remover the lower part of the front seats and put some high density foam between the seat base and the moulded foam piece.

If you look under the front edge of the seat there are two clips holding the assembly to the frame cross bar. Further back are two rubber bands that tension the seat back and hook under the seat base. The entire seat base then lifts out of the car.

The fabric cover, which has a plastic edging strip, can be carefully prised out to the retaining channel. Removed, modified and reassembled... all in a 30 minute job!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. Clips and rubber bands.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	45245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2. Lift seat base out.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	45246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3. Seat Base.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	45247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4. Fabric retainers.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	45248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5. Foam loose.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	45249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6. Extra Foam.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	45250
    Many thanks Michael. Now that is excellent advice and I'm sure you are right. I'm driving the BX this week and it reminds me all the time what excellent cars they are. AND it takes a full half tonne of bricks if needed!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information