Dead CX - Getting onto trailer
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dead CX - Getting onto trailer

Default Dead CX - Getting onto trailer

Hi all,

My C-Matix has died on me and I am going to put it in storage for a while. I can remember reading somewhere that you can put blocks somewhere to give it some ground clearance letting me then get it onto a trailer for transport.

Advertisement

The problem is I can't remember where or how to do it. Help appreciated.

UFO

Lift the back end of the car and you should be able to see the upper ends with bump stops of the swing arms. Put blocks in above them so that when the car comes down the blocks cause the rear to stay up. Front end is similar but it is over 12 months since I've looked under a CX now and can't remember. Shane?....
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

front - holes at each end in the crossmember where the bump stops are? Now about a decade since I had a CX, so Shane?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger

A tilting flatbed towtruck can recover a CX with little trouble.

There is the cut length of broomstick approach in the suspension cylinders, but use scrap spheres as the dampers can be damaged. A bit harder with a CX than a DS, because the rear spheres are not exposed in the same way.
    Last edited by David S; 20th June 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

chock all four trailer wheels and unhitch it from the car, it'll tilt upto the sky as the CX winches on... then drop back down onto the towbar as it rolls the length of the trailer. It's effectively a fully tilting trailer if you do this. You need a good winch on the trailer

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

BTW: What do you mean by "died" .... Old CX's never die ... they just get tireder and tireder and sadder ..... But they almost always start and run, no matter how desperate they are
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have an electrical issue as well as the motor does not seem to want to turn over. So it might be a seized starter motor or something similar. I have taken the spark plugs out and it is still labouring to turn it over with no compression.

Old thing deserves a proper rebuild but I have to finish the important one first and have had little time to devote to it as it is.

I still need to lift it a bit for where I want to store it. Don't want it right on the ground.

Don't take this the wrong way .... but have you tried a different battery or jumper leads I'd be tempted to roll start it (remember no brakes or supension if you do this) so you can drive it to the storage location, then block it up on high suspension so you can get under to the starter.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tried 3 batteries and also boosting with jumper leads. Just doesn't want to turn over or spark at this time. Trailer is the way out at this time I think. Then have a good look at it at some time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way .... but have you tried a different battery or jumper leads I'd be tempted to roll start it (remember no brakes or supension if you do this) so you can drive it to the storage location, then block it up on high suspension so you can get under to the starter.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    How do you roll start a C-Matic?
    Starter motors can fail! I had to trailer one home that was stuck in Yarra Glen with a dead starter.
    I could not even get the solenoid to short across the main terminals to turn the starter!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    How do you roll start a C-Matic?
    Starter motors can fail! I had to trailer one home that was stuck in Yarra Glen with a dead starter.
    I could not even get the solenoid to short across the main terminals to turn the starter!

I had to dig a hole under one to get a jack in once, so I could change a dead starter!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    I had to dig a hole under one to get a jack in once, so I could change a dead starter!
    I had a Bx and a Cx in a field. Cx did not want to start so I put the Bx battery in it. Then the Cx got bogged and sank to the floor. So I had to dig a hole to get it out. Two cars in a field and right at that point a small but ferocious storm passed over. Rain, wind and then hail. Both cars out; one no battery; one bogged. The funny part is I had just finished the carport (literally 10 minutes before) and was trying to get them moved under cover. Needless to say much running in circles and swearing abounded. Is funny when I look back.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Gerry, I wasn't going to ask that question in case I was wrong in my understanding. I had my mate suggest push starting it when he saw the gear stick. Took some explaining. Sure Shane was assuming it was my 5 speed turbo after a quick read.

Looked at the front and buggered if I can see where to put a bit of timber.

Feeling very depressed. 2 CX's and neither going.

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    CX 1978 2400 Pallas C-Matice

I had to load a dead Bx onto trailer recently with the same issues. The back was easy to chock, the front was a bit more tricky. Ended up using a longer piece of timber about 40 cm or so running along side the strut. Fitted into top of wheel arch and the suspension arm. Might be able to do the same with the Cx. Just had a look at one and it seems possible. There is an oval hole at top of wheel arch it would fit into. Wouldn't want to take it for a ride but it might be just enough to load onto trailer.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Seriously ... Just unhook the trailer... it'll winch right on.... Have you checked the earth points and battery terminals ? Sounds like she should run easily enough if you can suss out the problem. In particular check the ballast resister and it's wiring. Just trying bypassing the ballast resister and see if you have spark.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The front bump stops work on the top arm. Similar to the rear. There is a cylindrical part in the front subframe, obviously running lengthways. You can see them in the engine bay (just)
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    Hi all,

My C-Matix has died on me and I am going to put it in storage for a while. I can remember reading somewhere that you can put blocks somewhere to give it some ground clearance letting me then get it onto a trailer for transport.

The problem is I can't remember where or how to do it. Help appreciated.

there is a 605 not too far from you, get him to drag the thing to where you want it

every cit owner needs a pug to save you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

I don't think the lack of a towbarge is Laurie's problem . Anyway, my Landcruiser would be a better option than the 605, as it's towbar can be set nice and high, which puts the back of the trailer nice and low.

My "new" Xantia had sunk to the bump stops when I collected it - managed to get it onto a trailer without starting it (dead battery, out of fuel, and couldn't find the code ), and without disconnecting trailer, so a high towbar certainly helps.

Happy to lend a hand Laurie, but won't be available until early July, by which time I imagine you'll have the car safely in storage.

Cheers

Alec

Hope so Alec.

Shane tried all that with a mate. It is now about effort and reward. It was going into a shed I found anyway, so now to get a trailer and winch it on.

Thanks Greg, will look.

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    CX 1978 2400 Pallas C-Matic

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twistedeez View Post
    I had a Bx and a Cx in a field. Cx did not want to start so I put the Bx battery in it. Then the Cx got bogged and sank to the floor. So I had to dig a hole to get it out. Two cars in a field and right at that point a small but ferocious storm passed over. Rain, wind and then hail. Both cars out; one no battery; one bogged. The funny part is I had just finished the carport (literally 10 minutes before) and was trying to get them moved under cover. Needless to say much running in circles and swearing abounded. Is funny when I look back.

I don't have a tractor either but I have heard of that device on the front of it being used to dig a hole big enough to shove unloved cars into. I am told it can make the wife happy very quickly.

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    CX 1978 2400 Pallas C-Matic

Or shove the wife into the hole...

Hi Laurie
    If you want to get the car up a little higher I would recommend jacking up the rear first. If your jack cannot fit under the jacking point in front of the rear wheels shown in the first photo then I have found I can slide a jack in from behind the car along the strut housing to a point where it can lift the back until it is high enough to then use the jack point. With the rear jacking point up you can then get to the front jacking point.... helps if you have two jacks or plenty of solid hardwood to chock under strong points such as some sections running along the axle line between wheels......of course you know how careful you must be as if the jack slips you are in trouble!

So access to the arm pivot and bump stops at the rear is easily gained through this tube. You will be able to place a small piece of timber between the arm and the lower bump stop when the car is jacked up. The photo shows my CX on low.

CX bump stops rear by andxeron, on Flickr

The front bump stops are accessed through cut-outs in the front frame as pointed out by someone earlier. Passenger side is easier to access however I would recommend removing the ventilation tower to get to the bump stops from behind on the drivers side. Again it all has to be solid so as not to injure your hands. The front is different to the rear in that the upper arm ends move side to side but just jack it up and secure it and then slot in the right size piece of timber. Good luck may the frogs be with you

Passenger side access is clearly seen:

CX bump stops front left by andxeron, on Flickr

Driver's side access is gained to rear of cut-out by removing the ventilation tower:

CX bump stops front right by andxeron, on Flickr

UFO

Well done Andy, I knew someone would come through with the info.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Well done Andy, I knew someone would come through with the info.
    Cheers Craig, I don't know if it was any help..... maybe Laurie was looking for an easier option I guess getting the car going would be my way of going about it but CX C-matics really can be stubborn to bring back to life.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information