Citroen SM wanted in For Sale/Wanted thread
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen SM wanted in For Sale/Wanted thread

As we can't post replies to sale/wanted posts Ive started a new thread on this topic.
    Levit8 has posted that he/she is looking to purchase a SM for under 20k.
    Whilst it is admirable that one should lust after one of Citroen's finest (a lust to which I succumbed) I would seriously caution buying at the bottom of the market. In-cautious purchasing could result in massive costs to resuscitate a dog.
    Cheap USA cars on Ebay may look attractive, but you have to question why are they being sold. East coast/southern states cars will be rusty, and west coast cars will most likely have fried interiors. There were few dealers/workshops in the USA capable of maintaining SMs so most of the cheap Ebay cars will have little or no service history. A engine rebuild is going to be $10k minimum, maybe a lot more depending on what has to be replaced. There are no cheap short cuts on the Maserati engine. The rest of the car is really a DS/CX in pretty panels, but the youngest is now nearly 40 years old and hydraulics/mechanicals will need attention.
    A respray will be $10k for an average job and a similar amount could be swallowed up in a retrim.
    I guess what I'm saying is that a cheap SM could be a major disappointment and a potential financial disaster.
    But if you just have to have one then shop very carefully and be prepared to pay for quality.
    roger

Advertisement

I'm going to have to agree with Roger on this one. I can't really add anything else to what he's said except join the Sport-Maserati-L Yahoogroups list. Have a read of a decade's worth of information regarding every facet of the SM. Some of the group's posters have re-engineered many of the SM's shortcomings to help make it a reliable car for daily use.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

My advice is the same - spend the extra money on a good one if you can find one. It will be cheaper in the long run. You also get to enjoy your car from day one rather than years of dreaming how good it will be one day.
    Good luck
    Tony

Yes I agree with you.
    i sent a pm to levit8 and said the same. Also gave him the email adress and the phone number of the MAN ---ie Mr SM --Jerry Hathaway in LA. I know he gets offered reasonable vehicles from time to time. not sure what youll get for 10K ---20k.
    I spent the $$$ and now have one of the best. Well the best in SA -- Cant say how much though---just incase SWMBO happens to read my mail. Cheers Colin

Say like Marvin the robot - SM's .. Don't talk to ME about SM's .. Sigh
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

DS

I say go for it but go cautiously.

A friend in Sydney bought a LHD manual SM off Ebay a few years back with not much more effort than lots of pictures and email discussion. It ended up costing about $AUS15000 landed. It was registered on historic plates within a few weeks and we had loads of fun trouble free drives in it. He has since sold the car and I'm not sure whre it went.

Citroen SM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by old coot View Post
    Yes I agree with you.
    i sent a pm to levit8 and said the same. Also gave him the email adress and the phone number of the MAN ---ie Mr SM --Jerry Hathaway in LA. I know he gets offered reasonable vehicles from time to time. not sure what youll get for 10K ---20k.
    I spent the $$$ and now have one of the best. Well the best in SA -- Cant say how much though---just incase SWMBO happens to read my mail. Cheers Colin
    Obviously don't get it out often. Never seen one here in Adelaide in 35 years. My loss, what!!

BTW, what ever happened to those right hand drive convertions done in Melbourne? Did the company go broke or what?

aah ----you need to join the Club Citroen SA. We have 4 SM in South australia.
    Most conversions were done done by a guy in Woolongong. However now the cars are over 30 years old most owners that i know prefer to keep them original---LHD. Cheers
    Colin

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by deskpilot View Post

BTW, what ever happened to those right hand drive convertions done in Melbourne? Did the company go broke or what?
    I think you're referring to the small number of new SMs converted by Chapel Engineering. Dunno what happened to them, I dont think I've ever seen one.
    AKAIK Chapel Engineering still exists, located in Richmond.
    roger

This was one of the conversions done by Chapel which got pranged sometime after the review in this mag.

Sorry if the image is too big for those with tiny monitors but I grabbed it on the fly. A rare photo of the SM in autopilot!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I don't recognize the name Chapel as I found the site on the net. smaustralia.com or something like that. It was a very full site with images from the original ex-USA car down to bare metal/conversion to as new RHD vehicles. Prices then, a few years back, were around the 70/90K mark. Beautiful results though.

Chapel in Melbourne did about 3 cars I think? then later on Peter Mc leod at SM Australia started doing them. I reckon he says about 28? have to check his web site. actualy per capita, Australia has a fair share of SMs if Peters web site is correct ---over 80 with only 22 million people ---thats one for every 275,000. Remmember they were never built in RHD. Less than 13,000 made.

The SM's in Australia and NZ list on McLeod's site is dated as you could easily add a dozen more imports in recent years to that list.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Chapel did a Gunmetal Gray one that i remember about 10 years back that was for sale, both Dogboy and I lusted after it, went for $18,000 with 32,000 kms on the clock if my memory serves me well. It was in better condition than factory. I have some photo's of it somewhere. Maybe someone on here purchased it?
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

$18,000!!! Bloody hell, someone got a bargain.

Whist LHD may be original, I think I'd prefer a RHD version for safety. Used to drive a LHD Nash Rambler years ago and hated trying to see around slow trucks when alone in the vehicle. Relying on a passenger was dangerous at time as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 Nash Rambler Wagon.jpg 
Views:	1373 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	45151

Citroen SM Australia
    FYI....one of the UK RHD Middleton cars is here in Melb and in superb condition (in the CCCV car club)
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

FWIW

I have been around since before the SM was new. I have seen countless specimens in my time. I have never seen a car from Jerry Hathaway that was fooked up. Never.

Thread Information