Citroen 2007 C4 rear ride
  • Help

Default Citroen 2007 C4 rear ride

There are a lot of posts regarding the above issue but has anyone done any modifications? I really love my C4. I've put new tyres (I’ll include brand/model shortly) and the ride has improved markedly over the Michelins.

Advertisement

I have always found the car Lexus quiet (superior to our MPS Mazda3) and the suspension travel very good especially over single humps (although smooth, more often than not the Mazda3 is hitting it's bump stops) What does seem at odds is the fierce rocking side to side action of the C4 over diagonal bumps as if the roll bar is too strong. Straight across tracks or ruts in roads also cause the rear to really crash! Scaring the passengers! This is at complete odds with the rest of the package. Maybe a result of the 17" wheels yet the MPS and other family members' VW Sport Golf's & Polo’s not doing it with the same size wheels. Can the roll bar be disengaged or is it built in as a result of beam/trailing arm arrangement? The front is excellent.

After reading all the failure issues with pneumatic springs of the C4 Picasso it is also obvious that the steel springs and air bags are interchangeable. I wonder if Firestone makes an airbag that fits (that could be manually inflated) or a softer spring from the 307 Peugeot could be installed as an option?

Truly a first world problem
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's intesting... I always thought the supsension under our C4 was crap .... It was hugely noisy on the highway, so much so you coudlnt' hear the radio due to the tire roar on some surfaces. If it's knocking at the back.... Have a look. From memory it was plastic boot or bump stop that rattled around. You can just tie it up with some cable ties.

I drove a few poogoe 307's and thought the suspension was if anything even shittier than the C4's Have a look at it's rear end, it's **FULL** of rubber and spindly little pretend suspension components. If it's got a lot of milage on it, check to see if any of the rubber bushes back there are dead

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That is interesting as I've not experienced tyre roar or rumble and the ride is mostly quiet & refined unless a sharp rut or tract. I've just done 70k & all services are up to date. I have a friend with a C3 exclusive of a similar year & the road noise is so bad you can't really hold a conversation with those in the front.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

I agree with Double Chevron, hugely noisy tyre roar (can't hear the radio very well) and bumpy ride over uneven surfaces. I drove recently the latest C4 - compliant ride and much quieter - a quantum leap. I should imagine the floor plan is much the same in both vehicles so one may assume that changing the underpinnings to something similar to the new C4 should improve things. When I am sufficiently motivated I must investigate. If you can put a man on the moon you should be able to improve the ride and the NVH on the series l C4.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Did the Exclusive models come with extra sound proofing maybe? I always use the parcel shelf & travel rug but couldn't imagine it makes mine much quieter than others as it is very good.
    When my extended warranty runs out (Dec'13) it will go for a complete suspension investigation.

Via the aussiefrogs App

don

I drive a VTR coupe and its very quiet. Shod with Pirelli P7s done 60K quiet and comfortable.
    The rear of the C4 has a built in sway bar by way of torsion system which is why the back end kicks like a mule on choppy road, plus the trailing arm travels in an ark that is not straight up and down. So the right drags the left and Vice verse. I can live with it and its predictable. The Rest of my C4 experience is very pleasent indeed !

Our 2010 C4 Grand Picasso came with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres - 215/50-17. Superb grip and sports performance with a thumping ride and lots and lots of road noise, as befits a high performance sport tyre. This was original equipment for a family people carrier, and they only lasted 25,000 kms! Quoted replacement cost about $299 per corner plus fitting and balancing. The replacement tyres that I went with were Michelin Primacy LC 215/55-17. These give superb grip and wet weather performance without the thump, bump and road noise; and are entirely suited to a family wagon. Currently these tyres are about 50% worn with over 50,000 kms on them, and should last another 10,000 kms. I can currently source these for $225 per corner including fitting and balancing, and have had my local dealer put a set aside for me. Check your usage, the intended tyre usage and the cost; then make up your own mind without the benefit of a salesman!!!
    DS Citroen 21 aka: Andrew and Leanne (plus Phillip and Ciaran).
    A DS 21 (Long Term Project), A BX GT 16v (Leanne's not mine), plus PABLO 0 (The C4 Picasso), A heavily modified Range Rover (towing and heavy duty) and some exotic members of Sir William Lyons' stable!!!.

Update: Tyres I've now got on are Falken Azenis FK453's $235 each fitted & balanced. I'll report back on ware in due course. So far very happy.
    (I couldn't remember all the tyre model details during first post)

Via the aussiefrogs App

There was always a crashing in the rear of my C4. I've had it up on a hoist and checked everything.
    It is actually the spare wheel bouncing in it's wheel well. Extremely annoying.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Yes Arunine, Thanks for that enlightenment! It is the filmsy plastic tyre holder causing it to bounch and crash adding to the discomfort! I'll have to fashion a replacement holder. I've heard of a Jaguar owner who spent hundreds looking for a dash rattle only to find it was a kids lolly in the ash tray

Its a problem with all 'normal' suspension cars. The ride in the front is acceptable, but in the back much worse. This because the springing has to be stiff enough to hold the car up fully laden so is much too stiff most of the time. Compare this to a 'real' Citroen where the ride in the back is as good as, probably better than in the front. Take a good BX for a drive and see what I mean, same size as a C4 but far superior.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

UFO

When we moved from Sydney last year the last vehicle to move was the C4 and it had all the "bits and pieces" that didn't get on the removalist truck. Anyway, I drove it down here and even though it was very well loaded it still went really well -the diesel engine just sort of shrugged as if to say "you call that a load?". It went up hills so easy, but what was great was how well it rode fully loaded - less bouncy of course.

I always considered our BX rode better with a load too - particularly if the load got heavier by the wine carton as the journey went on.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Just drove from Brisbane to Toowoomba & back. Using the Murphy's Creek Road to avoid the Road works on the range. A great drive. The little C4 was composed & very comfortable. I'll take the CX that way soon. A true test for any car. Last time over the years in chronological order: Fiat 124, Peugeot 505 Gti, Lancia HPE & Fiat 130 Coupe. All brilliant. Yet the C4 continued the theme. I love it, adopt a Citroen today!

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information