AX GT Engine Bay
  • Help

Default AX GT Engine Bay

Hopefully an AXGT owner reads this and can offer me some advice or hopefully some pics of the engine bay. I have replaced a head gasket in mine and the car was in bits for a few weeks, there is a tdc sensor which may or may not connect to anything, AXOC members have been helpful but the Australian cars were different and there is some confusion. Mine is a 1990 build with an immobiliser. Maybe there is a broken wire or bad connector that is preventing the injector from getting the correct signal or maybe it is something to do with the tdc sensor. All connectors and wires have been checked several times. A DYI ECU fault test indicated #41 which is the tdc, it is a replacement sensor. Fuel pump has been replaced, fuel is getting to the carb and motor will run when fuel is poured into carb, Injector has been checked. Any help would be much appreciated. The TDC sensor is attached to the distributor but is apparently used only for diagnostic purposes, the check if car properly tuned.
    Regards: Terry

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AX GT Engine Bay-p1080375a.jpg  

Hi Terry,

The mono-motronic injection system uses a pulse from the transistor ignition system as its 'tdc' signal. I don't have an AX in the family any more but I may have some circuits still at home. I remember we had lots of trouble with the transistor ignition module on our AX.

Cheers,

Ken W

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the reply. The transistor ignition module is incorporated into the distributor? My mechanic mate said his brother checked that but I'm not so sure so maybe I will get it tested again. There is no current evident from the tdc sensor, is that OK?

Fellow Frogger!

If it runs with fuel poured into the carb thingy, then surely it isn't electrical? It must be a fuel supply problem, rather than an injector or firing problem? I have one, although it has been modified to take a carby. What do you want pictures of?

Erik

Hi Erik, I wanted a picture of the engine bay to see if the tdc sensor is connected to anything and not just clipped to the distributor, the post from Ken makes me wonder if perhaps there is a fault with the ignition module. Modifying your to take a carby was a big job? and what are the benefits?

Terry,

As you mentioned above I think the TDC sensor is only for the diagnostics socket. The ECU takes the same signal as the tacho from the ignition system - a 200 volt pulse from the primary side of the coil, so it can tell that the engine is running and at what speed. It then uses the angle of the throttle butterfly and the inlet air and coolant temps to work out how much to squirt into the intake manifold. I guess it uses the fuel pressure regulator to compensate for manifold vacuum as it doesn't have a MAP sensor or air flow meter.

If the tacho is working, then the ECU should be getting the run signal if it is connected correctly.

Regards,

Ken W

Tadpole

Hi Stopcat. Here a few pictures of my Ax's engine bay. Hope they help.. AX GT Engine Bay-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1371869534.083279.jpg

AX GT Engine Bay-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1371869550.033738.jpg

AX GT Engine Bay-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1371869562.800267.jpg

Please excuse the dust n dirt.. It's a daily driver.

Via the iPhone gadget..

Thread Information