Xantia - replacing V6 with 2.0 litre HDI
  • Help

Icon7 Xantia - replacing V6 with 2.0 litre HDI

Am about to replace a V6 with a late low k's 2 litre HDI engine in a late 1998 Xantia. They were fitted in the UK onto the same ZF 4HP 20 auto box mated to the V6.
    My question is this - will a six speed AM6 box from a late C5 fit into the Xantia?

Advertisement

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

Apart from the mechanical complexities, you could have some fun with fitting the diesel ECU instead of the Petrol ECU. The 1998 Xantias have a Body ECU that talks to all the other ECUs and checks that serial numbers match every time the ignition is turned on. You will need a Lexia to re-match all the ECUs. Make sure the ECU type you are fitting is circa 1998 so that the body computer will be able to recognise it.

Cheers,

Ken W

Do you see a problem fitting the 2010 ECU with the 2010 HDI 160 engine and getting it to talk to the 1998 body ECU?

Fellow Frogger

Yes. It's just not that simple.

The engine and auto gearbox ECU's are coded to talk to each other and several other ECU's connected via a CAN system. I don't think the Xantia uses a BSI or CAN system.

Seriously, just buy a C5 with the 6 speed gearbox already built into it.

Do you see any electrical problems fitting the HDI to the ZF 4HP 20 auto that is currently in the Xantia ?

The Xantia is low kms and is in mint condition. They came out in the UK with this combination. I have a C5 and prefer the Xantia for ride and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefrog View Post
    The Xantia is low kms and is in mint condition. They came out in the UK with this combination. I have a C5 and prefer the Xantia for ride and handling.
    I've no idea what I would happily buy to replace our Xantia. What a competent vehicle it is.

FWIW, I'd suspect it would be better to bank both the money and the stress that your contemplated conversion might cost you and use it for maintenance of the V6. Just my approach. I'd be very scared of the computer compatibility stuff unless you know someone who has actually done it and made it work.

"Have some fun" might be a mild understatement. If you can do it, and do, please post the fine details for the rest of us!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

The common HDi engine between the C5 and the Xantia is the DW10A (apparently RHZ) engine that would have been mated with an AL4, but only in the early C5 prior to 2005. The AM6 was mated to a later version of this engine. The only HDI we had mated to the 4HP20 in this market was the 2.2 DW12 single turbo. At a guess, the ES9 V6 and DW engines take different bellhousings, so the V6's 4HP20 is unlikely to physically bolt to any of the HDi engines. I think the mechanical issues are the easily solved part of the job. You have to investigate the electronics and work out what functions need to be configured as not present and how to get all the ECU's to do what you want.

Thread Information