"Octopus" for GS/GSA
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default "Octopus" for GS/GSA

Anyone have any experience/knowledge re hydraulic reservoir connections for a GS ? Having followed threads re the lack of NOS for Xantias I presume it will be worse for an older model but does the fact that the reservoir on a GS is a metal container make any difference.

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Anyone have any experience/knowledge re hydraulic reservoir connections for a GS ? Having followed threads re the lack of NOS for Xantias I presume it will be worse for an older model but does the fact that the reservoir on a GS is a metal container make any difference.
    I can't imagine why there should be any problem material-wise. All hydraulic canisters for all of the "classic" models were steel. TA/D Series/SM/GS/CX, all of them. What are you hoping to do, make a new octopus? If so, there have been a couple of different ways to do that. Shane had a rather elegant, if pain in the backside way of recreating the one for his CX. I've done emergency repairs with some fuel line and a multi-port vacuum manifold. There are other ways in between those two extremes.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I can't imagine why there should be any problem material-wise. All hydraulic canisters for all of the "classic" models were steel. TA/D Series/SM/GS/CX, all of them. What are you hoping to do, make a new octopus? If so, there have been a couple of different ways to do that. Shane had a rather elegant, if pain in the backside way of recreating the one for his CX. I've done emergency repairs with some fuel line and a multi-port vacuum manifold. There are other ways in between those two extremes.
    Elegant ... me ??? You mean dodgy and half @rsed if it's me You may mean Gerry and the steering rack octopus he made up, or Addo and the machined "junction" box he had fabricated.

I find the connectors are not so much the problem as the lines themselves. The old lines will not "push over" new junctions/"T" pieces, they'll split within a few weeks. Fuel line is too difficult to work with in most cases (as it's re-enforced) ... vacuum pipe is usually EPDM ... brake fluid resilient hose, but won't work with LHM.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Elegant ... me ??? You mean dodgy and half @rsed if it's me You may mean Gerry and the steering rack octopus he made up, or Addo and the machined "junction" box he had fabricated.

I find the connectors are not so much the problem as the lines themselves. The old lines will not "push over" new junctions/"T" pieces, they'll split within a few weeks. Fuel line is too difficult to work with in most cases (as it's re-enforced) ... vacuum pipe is usually EPDM ... brake fluid resilient hose, but won't work with LHM.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I should be a bit clearer- what I'm talking about are the plastic "T" fittings, the ones with 4 or 5 barbs coming off them. Not the hose. Fuel line is LHM resistant, but yah, you're right- vacuum line isn't. Just a thought, maybe Citroenfan or Richo can correct as necessary, but wouldn't silicone rubber line work?

Sorry to offend - your box, the one you soldered together was the first one I remembered. Unfortunately, I think all that was lost during the GAFC.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Fuel line works fine - in the last 12 months I have replaced all rubber returns on one BX 16v and everything bar the octo on another, and used fuel line each time. LHM tends to be a great lubricant for getting stubborn hoses over joiners.

Thread Information