"Octopus" for GS/GSA
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    160

    Default "Octopus" for GS/GSA

    Anyone have any experience/knowledge re hydraulic reservoir connections for a GS ? Having followed threads re the lack of NOS for Xantias I presume it will be worse for an older model but does the fact that the reservoir on a GS is a metal container make any difference.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Anyone have any experience/knowledge re hydraulic reservoir connections for a GS ? Having followed threads re the lack of NOS for Xantias I presume it will be worse for an older model but does the fact that the reservoir on a GS is a metal container make any difference.
    I can't imagine why there should be any problem material-wise. All hydraulic canisters for all of the "classic" models were steel. TA/D Series/SM/GS/CX, all of them. What are you hoping to do, make a new octopus? If so, there have been a couple of different ways to do that. Shane had a rather elegant, if pain in the backside way of recreating the one for his CX. I've done emergency repairs with some fuel line and a multi-port vacuum manifold. There are other ways in between those two extremes.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I can't imagine why there should be any problem material-wise. All hydraulic canisters for all of the "classic" models were steel. TA/D Series/SM/GS/CX, all of them. What are you hoping to do, make a new octopus? If so, there have been a couple of different ways to do that. Shane had a rather elegant, if pain in the backside way of recreating the one for his CX. I've done emergency repairs with some fuel line and a multi-port vacuum manifold. There are other ways in between those two extremes.
    Elegant ... me ??? You mean dodgy and half @rsed if it's me You may mean Gerry and the steering rack octopus he made up, or Addo and the machined "junction" box he had fabricated.

    I find the connectors are not so much the problem as the lines themselves. The old lines will not "push over" new junctions/"T" pieces, they'll split within a few weeks. Fuel line is too difficult to work with in most cases (as it's re-enforced) ... vacuum pipe is usually EPDM ... brake fluid resilient hose, but won't work with LHM.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Elegant ... me ??? You mean dodgy and half @rsed if it's me You may mean Gerry and the steering rack octopus he made up, or Addo and the machined "junction" box he had fabricated.

    I find the connectors are not so much the problem as the lines themselves. The old lines will not "push over" new junctions/"T" pieces, they'll split within a few weeks. Fuel line is too difficult to work with in most cases (as it's re-enforced) ... vacuum pipe is usually EPDM ... brake fluid resilient hose, but won't work with LHM.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    I should be a bit clearer- what I'm talking about are the plastic "T" fittings, the ones with 4 or 5 barbs coming off them. Not the hose. Fuel line is LHM resistant, but yah, you're right- vacuum line isn't. Just a thought, maybe Citroenfan or Richo can correct as necessary, but wouldn't silicone rubber line work?

    Sorry to offend - your box, the one you soldered together was the first one I remembered. Unfortunately, I think all that was lost during the GAFC.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Fuel line works fine - in the last 12 months I have replaced all rubber returns on one BX 16v and everything bar the octo on another, and used fuel line each time. LHM tends to be a great lubricant for getting stubborn hoses over joiners.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •