DS 23 Instrument Cluster Blue High Beam Warning Light
  • Help

Icon5 DS 23 Instrument Cluster Blue High Beam Warning Light

Help!

After spending most of the afternoon chasing / tracing wires, pulling switches out and stripping the DS instrument panel to get the blue light working; to my amazement IT DOES NOT HAVE ONE!!!???

With the cluster out, 12V's were applied direct to the blue warning light globe at 1:00 o'clock on the panel and upon turning the panel over I had asked my wife to check out "the blue warning light that high beam is on". She thought I was bonkers as I could see that the globe was alight from my end and I insisted that she was ""looking at the wrong spot.

She was not.

Advertisement

I held the cluster up to the light and to my amazement, the blue warning light motif clear visible from the driver's side is opaque from behind - that is, the globe side! I do not believe it!

There is no way that any light could penetrate the High Beam Motif!

I have a "spare cluster to convert to KPH in due course from MPH" and this too was opaque.

Do I proceed to pull apart the cluster and try to get to the blue warning light motif and replace it?

I need the blue warning light working for a Victorian RWC.

Obviously, nobody worried about it before as this vehicle not too long ago changed hands!

Please help.

Best regards

John

John, my high beam warning light is red, but I suspect that this was put in by previous owner. Point is my car has passed two Victorian roadworthy checks with a red warning light instead of a blue one. Most recent roadworthy was only 4 days ago in preparation for going onto club permit rego.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

The thing about the high beam light is that it is very dim so as not to be a problem to the driver on a dark night... it is inevitably almost impossible to see in day light. However, the best it manages even at night, with the standard globe, if a dull blue glow. A higher wattage globe will melt things.

The solution is to fit an LED which will give more light without the heat. You have to pay attention to the polarity when you fit it as it will only work one way round.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Dave,

Red or blue there is nothing. It is opaque, I shone a relatively bright LED torch behind it and nothing came through the other side!

As for a Victorian RWC, the windscreen has failed miserably! I could not believe! It is not "sandblasted" per se. There is some damage but nothing that impedes the driver from safely driving the Dee. VicRoads are aware that windscreens do get damaged and thus allow some damage provided that the drivers vision is not impaired to the extent that the vehicle can not be driven safely.

However, it is left to the discretion of the RWC certifier; if he /she has no initiative; it fails.

When I fix the obvious (washers and high beam warning light) I'll tackle others without changing the windscreen but if I have to, I will as I need the Dee registered in order to enjoy it whilst restoring it on the go.

John

Michael,

Fully aware that it needs to be dim but there is absolutely no light getting through.

So, I like the idea of an LED and during my fault finding exercise I had located the + side of the globe in the panel.

I had noticed that the green head lights warning light was scratched and I could not understand as to why; now I realise that it is / was in the same boat as the hign beam light. It too is opaque and hence it has been scratched to allow some light through.

I will try the scratching exercise first.

Thanks and cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    Michael,

Fully aware that it needs to be dim but there is absolutely no light getting through.

So, I like the idea of an LED and during my fault finding exercise I had located the + side of the globe in the panel.

I had noticed that the green head lights warning light was scratched and I could not understand as to why; now I realise that it is / was in the same boat as the hign beam light. It too is opaque and hence it has been scratched to allow some light through.

I will try the scratching exercise first.

Thanks and cheers,

John
    John this was Michael's fix using LED lights, post#56
    DS Instrument Cluster - 1970>

Others have resorted to removing the the blue lens and sanding it from behind to reduce the thickness and allow more light. I guess after 40 years the plastic degrades to the point of becoming almost opaque. It would not be difficult to fashion a new blue lens using a thin acrylic available through a local sign shop - or a clear with a translucent self adhesive film (I have a full roll if you would like a small off-cut let me know - I could also supply a small piece of clear polycarbonate that should do the job).

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Default DS 23 Instrument Cluster High Beam Warning Light

Boy, am I learning fast about these Dee's!

I had bearly touched the what I thought was a scratched screen on the green warning light for the "lights on" motif that it disintegrated before my eyes.

Now I have 2 problems, a blue one and a green one!

So, lets pull more things apart.

As a temporary fix, I've painted a bit of clean plastic green. I've successfully thinned the blue one to allow some light through thus should not be knocked back on a RWC.

What I have learned is that the 4 top warning lights (10, 11, 12 and 1 o'clock lights) being the most used (rear window defroster,[no timer in those days] lights on and high beam with 12 o'clock a spare but sandwiched between the others have suffered heat and time degradation to the extent that they become opaque.

So Chris, yes, please I would appreciate some proper thin polycarbonate / acrylic sheeting to make a permanent repair / restoration. Is paint sufficient to colour them?

In the attached photograph, I have added the coloured green plastic to the face of the black surround as I was concerned of breaking it upon trying to prise it off. (It does just pop off does it not?) The rear window defroster warning light is clearly visible as to just how degraded it has become. And I would concur that LED's for the 3 often used warning lights is the way to go. Reckon we could push for a recall from Citroen?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS 23 Instrument Cluster Blue High Beam Warning Light-img_4043.jpg  

Thread Information