Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5

Tadpole

Default Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5

Hi everyone,

This post in relation to 05 my Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Estate.
    Today I parked my car on the driveway and shut my door as usual without locking the car, after fifteen minutes or so i come back to let the dog out, but drivers door was somehow locked.
    Firstly i though that dog might have pressed some button, this happened to me in Land-rover when dog stood on central locking on the door .
    So I pressed lock and unlock with remote but this did not work.

Drivers door remind shut/locked and can not be open from inside with the handle or outside with key or remote, all other doors are working, this is a bit strange because car was left unlocked.

Advertisement

So my question is did this happen to anyone and what is the procedure in this instance to get the drivers door open?
    Is it possible to remove door lining panel while door is shut?

Thanks Michael

SOLVED
    goggling i did find this solution:
    quote:
    "Stumbled across a way of getting door open. If its the front door, turn the key to the unlock position (anticlockwise) and turn it forcefully it should click at about the 9 o clock position. You should then be able to get door open"
    Had to do this twice than it worked for me
    Last edited by x_XP; 9th June 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Does it work properly afterwards? My CX does this sometimes when I accidentally lock if from inside and then get out using the interior handle. Or at least that is what I think happens.... Multiple open and shut with the remote seems to fix it, but I'm not sure why, which is a bad sign.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

A better solution is to trade it in for a 2cv. Their doors work!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Don't leave your dog in the car??.

Must admit it is extremely frustrating when they play up-Seems to be that from 405's and on there is a greater incidence of quirky behaviour.My son's Xantia has been not good at all PLUS another damaged Cit I bought NONE of the door locks work with the key!

Fellow Frogger

On the early C5's, the central locking motor of the door locks can jam up and you can't dismantle them. You can try to lubricate them if you want, but a new lock is the best option once it starts to play up. Removing the door trim with the door closed is not really an option and even if you manage to free it, you will almost certainly crack it when trying to remove it. The Xantia has a similar lock motor in it's locks and they also fail eventually. The lock barrel on the XM/Xantia is a different issue and they can simply be worn out if they are not just dry.

The CX ... yes once had a problem of the driver's door not opening from inside or out. It just came good after a few tries on the first couple of occasions, but eventually it stuck firm. If my memory of that is correct, there is a plate inside the door lock that falls with the help of gravity. If it get's stuck due to corrosion or debris, the lock won't open whatever you do.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Does it work properly afterwards?
    I was able to lock and unlock this car with the remote next day it seems to be normal at the moment

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Don't leave your dog in the car??.
    My dog loves her new kennel so do I, if she want to stay inside I always live sunroof open for her.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    A better solution is to trade it in for a 2cv. Their doors work!
    I use to have 1960s CV 35 years ago and beside being as simple as wheelbarrow this model had as well its own problems

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If my memory of that is correct, there is a plate inside the door lock that falls with the help of gravity. If it get's stuck due to corrosion or debris, the lock won't open whatever you do.
    This is not very encouraging to know

1000+ Posts

Default C5 door locks !!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    On the early C5's, the central locking motor of the door locks can jam up and you can't dismantle them. You can try to lubricate them if you want, but a new lock is the best option once it starts to play up. Removing the door trim with the door closed is not really an option and even if you manage to free it, you will almost certainly crack it when trying to remove it. The Xantia has a similar lock motor in it's locks and they also fail eventually. The lock barrel on the XM/Xantia is a different issue and they can simply be worn out if they are not just dry.
    Hi
    The earlier model C5 door locks had a very high failure rate. I think I have replaced 3 out my four.They either failed to lock reliably or unlock reliably. As David says they are not really dismantleable and lubing them does not really get to the workings anyway. They have a small dc motor which drives a thread to move the lock mechanism like a linear actuator. That does not fail. IMHO the problem lies with the small crappy limit switch in the lock which gives feed back to the body computer.
    On an OS forum I believe there was a suggestion to operate the lock or the remote while giving the door side panel a thump near the lock. This might shock something into correct operation. I do not believe you could remove the interior door trim with the door shut. Even if you destroyed it .
    Find the correct part number for your lock off the PSA site and then Google the number. I bought my locks from UK sites for considerable savings. Not so hard to fit.
    jaahn

Not really an accusation against the C5, just a moan about the stupid owner and a plea for assistance.
    I flew to Perth earlier this week and somewhere between leaving the C5 in the long term car park at Melbourne and my return, lost the key, fortunately only the one key. Of course the spare is inside the car.

My question, before I go armed with hammer, chain saw and jemmy to break into the car is: What is the easiest way to break in to a locked C5? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the boot near the lock, climbing forward and unlocking the door from the inside. Brains trust?

Follow up question. The key inside the car is the electronic key which I have never had working. Will the key-blade open the car in spite of the key not being programmed to match the car?

The key blade will open either front doors with original key. No programming required.

If its an original fob it will start the car the central locking is separate.
    As far as getting in goes #$ų=%
    I have the door card pull off but cannot see how to jimmy in with a coat hanger or similar.
    Has mr Google come up with sny results?

Passanger lock drill out or call RACQ or equivalent as cheaper than fixing any damages

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks Dimistyle... really difficult getting anyone to look at it. I'm thinking drill near boot lock then cover the hole with a rivetted on badge or similar.

Just spent an hour on the phone and finally tracked down a Melbourne locksmith who sounds reasonable and will meet me there tomorrow to open the car. Asked me all the correct questions, will supply key based on rego. information. He suggested plain key cheaper than remote key and will supply invoice which may help avoid excess charges for car park. (Apparently this is his experience.) I'll update this thread AFTER successful break and entry!

I know Aussiefrogs frowns on advertising but I'll provide a link to his services to others in same situation if all goes well.

SF

All good news.
    I arranged for the locksmith to meet me at Tulla to open car and programme key. Estimate $450.00
    I got there early and on a hunch tried Airport Information desk, I had already tried the various baggage, Long term parking bus and lost property options. And there it was, I lost it apparently when you have to empty your pockets, take off your shoes and trouser belt then dismember your laptop going through security. Possibly hidden in the carry tray when I was being jostled in the queue at the pick-up end of the conveyor.

I called the locksmith, he was just leaving his shop with my key. No charge, all I have to do is give him a 5 star rating on his web-site
    If anyone ever confronts the same issue I can seriously recommend the locksmith I ended up with

SF

The simplest answer is always the easiest

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Always look on the bright side regarding lost items. I once left an electronic organiser in a public phone box in Oxford and found a note there several days later telling me where to pick it up. My wife was less optimistic, so it wasn't the best of days after I confessed....

Great outcome - the sense of relief must have been quite something!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information