DS bonnet catch is stuck
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DS bonnet catch is stuck

Tadpole

Default DS bonnet catch is stuck

Can anyone please help. I have a DS23 on which I disconnected the battery a month ago before going away. The problem that I have is that the bonnet catch on the drivers side won't release so I cannot open the bonnet. The lever under the steering wheel seems to move ok and the bonnet catch on the passanger side releases ok. Obviously I cannot start the car as the battery is disconnected. Will un bolting the bonnet hinges from under the windscreen help me gain access to the catch? I assume that it is the bonnet catch that is stuck and not a broken cable but am not sure how to proceed.

Advertisement

If the cable is not broken but just stretched, try to reach in around the front right road wheel and try to pull, twist or push on the cable.

If the cable is broken, bend up a tool that will reach in below the front edge of the bonnet and push on the lip of the catch. You might be able to lift the bonnet on the passenger side enough to see the required shape of your tool.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    If the cable is broken, bend up a tool that will reach in below the front edge of the bonnet and push on the lip of the catch. You might be able to lift the bonnet on the passenger side enough to see the required shape of your tool.
    There's actually a factory tool that does just that. It's about 4mm tubular steel with a couple of small kinks in it iirc.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Here we are. My special tool!

Cheers,
    Michael

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]

Fellow Frogger!

Attached is a picture of the tool needed to release the bonnet (we call them hoods in the US).

SteveAttachment 44652

UFO

If you're really in a bind an electrician's screwdriver (usually red with a long shank and plastic covering) can be made to work. Just be careful with whichever tool you use to not push upwards when under the bonnet edge.

Not for this particular case of course, but if you can start the car, you can put the suspension on high and CAREFULLY reach through the hole in the inner side of the wheel arch (it often has the rubber flaps on it) and feel for the cable and gently pull it out towards you. If the end of the cable is still retained in the catch mechanism this will pop the catch open. It's impossible with the suspension fully down though as you can't reach past the tyre.

Also you cannot remove the bonnet hinges without the bonnet open, and besides if you could, the catch would still be holding the front edge of the bonnet.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Aha! I have often looked at those catches and wondered what I would do if the cable broke. I assume this tool will be suitable for an earlier ID19 as well? I think I may make one and practise using it with the bonnet up so I know what to do if it happens. Something useful to keep in a bag under the seat perhaps...

Thanks to the wonderful AF community for yet another little speck of gold.

Cheers leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

UFO

Or in the firewall pocket (if your car has one) or in the roof rail (beside the spare clutch cable) for non Pallas models.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks for all the help. I will ask around the Citroen club to see if I can locate a tool.

In the UK, DIY stores sell a special paint roller for behind radiators, they are ideal, just print off Citroenfan's diagram and bend it to shape. Even comes with a handle.... (take the roller off first!)

Or buy a long screwdriver and bend that. Much better to have your own. Plus there is the satisfaction of having made a tool yourself.

Roger

Tadpole

Success! I have made a tool from a paint stirrer. $3.00 from mitre 10 using the diagram from Citroenfan and Boyracer. Thanks for all you help.

That's the spirit!

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats - now keep it in the boot. It does come in handy - especially when the pivot point on the hood release lever(s) go bonkers. However that typically takes at least 500,000+ miles of use.............both of mine have gone. The last one over the past weekend.

Steve

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Congrats - now keep it in the boot. It does come in handy - especially when the pivot point on the hood release lever(s) go bonkers. However that typically takes at least 500,000+ miles of use.............both of mine have gone. The last one over the past weekend.

Steve
    Those piles of parts you have and you can't find one with under 350K miles on it?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm, just reviving this thread because...guess what...my RHS bonnet catch is not working. The cable has clearly come away from the catch and I am struggling to figure out just what I need to do with a screwdriver-type tool (as described above) to be able to "pop" the right hand catch...

This has been known to work in extreme cases...

https://youtu.be/yPa3UhulSBQ
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    This has been known to work in extreme cases...

https://youtu.be/yPa3UhulSBQ
    I can see you needing to do that on the Floride
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Hmmm, just reviving this thread because...guess what...my RHS bonnet catch is not working. The cable has clearly come away from the catch and I am struggling to figure out just what I need to do with a screwdriver-type tool (as described above) to be able to "pop" the right hand catch...
    The whole thing with that tool is to slip it under the leading edge of the hood and push against the catch, tripping it. Just don't tweak the tool upward as you do so- that way lies disaster in the form of a permanently bent hood. BTW, this tool is ambidextrous- it works both left and right catches.

Edit: I think the tool drawing is in 814-2.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 13th June 2015 at 07:16 PM.

If the engine runs, you could raise the car and grab the bonnet release cable via the wheel arch?
    Cheers,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    If the engine runs, you could raise the car and grab the bonnet release cable via the wheel arch?
    Not if the cable is busted or detached. Happens most commonly after a fender has been pulled for whatever reason. The tool isn't hard to make anyway. Just a length of rod stock bent in a couple of places and a file handle. Craig points out that in a pinch, careful application of an electrician's screwdriver works as well.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have one that sticks sometimes... have someone pull the release for you and give the side of the bonnet a gentle slap with your open hand, it may just release
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    'Pop the right hand catch' Huh!
    Recently I took the DS for an illegal test run and had to engage these catches in case the bonnet blew open. I knew the cables were not connected but had been there before and had the opening tool at hand once I got back and so was ready to open the bonnet.
    An hour later and I had the left hand side done but the right hand side refused to co-operate. I then remembered that I had removed the radiator shroud and lying on the ground (car had now settled so I was safe) I looked up and could just about reach the catch through the air intake scoop. As I felt for the proper bit to push I thought I saw something move. I did. The biggest redback spider I have ever seen. It took another hour with the vacuum cleaner before I heard him (her?) thump into the Dyson. It took another five minutes to open the bonnet then the rest of the afternoon to vacuum the car and spider bomb every cavity I could find.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    'Pop the right hand catch' Huh!
    Recently I took the DS for an illegal test run and had to engage these catches in case the bonnet blew open. I knew the cables were not connected but had been there before and had the opening tool at hand once I got back and so was ready to open the bonnet.
    An hour later and I had the left hand side done but the right hand side refused to co-operate. I then remembered that I had removed the radiator shroud and lying on the ground (car had now settled so I was safe) I looked up and could just about reach the catch through the air intake scoop. As I felt for the proper bit to push I thought I saw something move. I did. The biggest redback spider I have ever seen. It took another hour with the vacuum cleaner before I heard him (her?) thump into the Dyson. It took another five minutes to open the bonnet then the rest of the afternoon to vacuum the car and spider bomb every cavity I could find.

SF
    Here endeth the lesson- make sure the hood catch cables are hooked up.

Fellow Frogger!

Purchased a "Uni-pro" long reach 100mm paint roller handle from Bunnings today. Perfect length and very minor adjustments to get the right angles in the rod. $7.68, including two rollers...

Bonnet now open.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information