Looking at A BX19GT
  • Help
    don

Default Looking at A BX19GT

HI all Im looking at a BX19GT for $2400 and would appreciate a heads up on what to look for Problems that develop etc.

Advertisement

I am fairly new to the BX but will attempt to answer your question. I think the BX is a fantastic car and seeming well designed and pretty rugged. The car you look at will probably have lots of degraded plastic parts but mechanical and body is not such a problem. Obviously look for rust in the usual places plus around the front door hinges on the A pillar.

The rear trailing arm bearings can wear. Symptoms are that the rear develops negative camber and the top of the wheels can rub on the inner guards. These bearings are replaceable but apparently not a fun job.

Leaking heater matrix is a big job to replace like any car... check it works and has not been disconnected or that the floor is not wet.

The heater valve is mounted on the firewall near the exhaust manifold and the pipe fittings on the engine side can become brittle and snap off. Check that the heater hoses are pliable as if they are not they will exacerbate the problem.

The number one cause for BX early retirement is that the rubber and plastic hydraulic return hose system, often referred to as the "octopus", becomes frail and can develop multiple leaks. The original part will be hard to find but a replacement can be fabricated from readily available tubes and tee pieces. The problem is it involves many hours of dirty work.

There is a lot of good BX advice to be found on bxclub.co.uk and using the AussieFrogs search facility.

Good luck with the car. Please post some pics whether you buy it or not!
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Oh! One more thing

The hydraulic pressure system has a "flow divider" that apportions hydraulic pressure between the suspension/brake system and the power steering. The unit is located adjacent to the pressure regulator and accumulator between the engine and radiator.

Failing units may leak, but more importantly they can starve the power steering of pressure, the symptoms being a loss of assistance mid corner or generally heavy steering. I believe the rebuild kit is no longer available.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

I had one not so long ago...check 'as above', hydraulic leaks, leaking steering ram ,if the car has been sitting around for a while with old coolant check for engine block corrosion, one of my early low k BX's had coolant leaking from the engine block. Also check operation of dash switches ie. wipers, lights/highbeam, horn, etc. they are a bit of an achilles heel on a BX GT and not easy to find, rust is not usually a problem in my experience. I've had 3 of them 16Trs, 19Tzi and a 19GT, the GT was my favourite, nice supple suspension,great torquey engine and Series 1 charm.

Being a series one you will all ready be 25 years old and known as a classic .. Has it been loved? they are the ones to get.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information