Gough in a D
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gough in a D

Default Gough in a D

Spotted Gough Whitlam alighting a D on the ABC documentary this evening.

Looked like he was arriving at the Elysee Palace in the early 1970s.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Advertisement

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

DS

Saw that. Pallas badge and all!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Fellow Frogger!

Default Tough

Heard about Gough. Damn, the man had style. Chris M

QUOTE=DS;1168886]Saw that. Pallas badge and all![/QUOTE]

I always thought he was the best Prime Minister we had. Now I know it
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

A lot was going on in those days. If it wasn't for Gough, Michael and I, being twins and having our marble drawn, would have been called up and then possibly Vietnam. He came in - - in the nick of time.

A lot of us might owe our lives to him and as I was very much against the Vietnam conflict, I am forever grateful.

John.

Fellow Frogger!

It is the only lottery that I ever won. Halfway through an apprenticeship on a trip to Katoomba from QLD for a trades seminar,three tradesman and I were climbing the mountain listening to the car radio and the "call up" dates were being announced. Yes I hit the jackpot.
    I still had a year, before my apprenticeship finished.
    I was due to report for "Duty" in the February on becoming a tradesman and Gough was elected in, in the December.
    My life would certainly have had a differant outcome.
    (the other half) Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I always thought he was the best Prime Minister we had. Now I know it
    3 cheers for Gough...
    I will never forget the fake currency passed around at election time with Billy Mcmahon on it and the words...this note is as fake as the McMahon Govt.. (by emory they called him Piggy)
    The things you remember....
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    3 cheers for Gough...
    I will never forget the fake currency passed around at election time with Billy Mcmahon on it and the words...this note is as fake as the McMahon Govt.. (by emory they called him Piggy)
    The things you remember....
    I remember they were handing out sprigs of thyme to people in the street. Puzzled, they asked what it was,and the answer was, it is time!

Always knew he was the greatest.

Fellow Frogger!

Good ole Gough. Free university education and a universal health care system to boot.
    When Kerr's cur told him where to go, he didn't know. Far Gough!

VIP Sponsor

At the time I was an 'Anti Gough' voter....in more recent years I have come to realize that I was 'swallowing' the 'AntiGough Media Hype' and that Gough, in fact, introduced some beneficial social reform policies that have made Australia a better place to live.... Having watched the recent ABC TV series on Whitlam, I now realize the ' WRONG' man was sacked, I also realize how the power of the media can(and is) mis-used to dominate public opinion and create or destroy a government.... And all for 'self interest' reasons!

Rupert? Bet he never got around in a D!

Default The missing shot!

The image we've all been looking for but unable to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gough in a D-gough-2.jpg  
    Last edited by mberry; 6th June 2013 at 06:10 PM.

voila regard la dude ici
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gough in a D-screen-shot-2013-06-06-11.10.18-pm.jpg  

Whitlam + DS = Awesome.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    A lot was going on in those days. If it wasn't for Gough, Michael and I, being twins and having our marble drawn, would have been called up and then possibly Vietnam. He came in - - in the nick of time.

A lot of us might owe our lives to him and as I was very much against the Vietnam conflict, I am forever grateful.

John.
    In actual fact you wouldn't have gone to Vietnam. It was closing down in 1969-70 when I was there, not due to Gough or Australia but due to Nixon and the USA. They had a program called Vietnamisation that was shifting the load to the ARVN (Army of South Vietnam), so they could exit with some semblance of pride (which they didn't). The 3 battalion Australian Task Force was down to 2 battalions in 1971 and finished at the end of that year.

Gough was OK, it was his cabinet that were dodgy. His free university scheme (NEAT) was terrific. A mate of mine's Finnish girlfriend got a degree for free thanks to the Australian tax payers and then returned to Finland. My daughter has an outstanding HECS bill, but until she returns from the UK, its just a paper thing. I couldn't afford to spend 3 years at uni, when a 6 month computer programming course ($1500 in 1977) got me the job and I paid back my old man the money within the first 6 months of programming. Since I spent 1973-76 overseas, I can't comment on how well he governed. I left 2 months after he came in and he left a year before I returned.

If the period of his rule was good, it could be because I wasn't in the country.

John
    Gough doesn't drive around in Citroens. I do.

Perhaps Julia needs you to take an overseas trip for say, oh i dunno 100 days JBN.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    In actual fact you wouldn't have gone to Vietnam. It was closing down in 1969-70 when I was there, not due to Gough or Australia but due to Nixon and the USA. They had a program called Vietnamisation that was shifting the load to the ARVN (Army of South Vietnam), so they could exit with some semblance of pride (which they didn't). The 3 battalion Australian Task Force was down to 2 battalions in 1971 and finished at the end of that year.

Gough was OK, it was his cabinet that were dodgy. His free university scheme (NEAT) was terrific. A mate of mine's Finnish girlfriend got a degree for free thanks to the Australian tax payers and then returned to Finland. My daughter has an outstanding HECS bill, but until she returns from the UK, its just a paper thing. I couldn't afford to spend 3 years at uni, when a 6 month computer programming course ($1500 in 1977) got me the job and I paid back my old man the money within the first 6 months of programming. Since I spent 1973-76 overseas, I can't comment on how well he governed. I left 2 months after he came in and he left a year before I returned.

If the period of his rule was good, it could be because I wasn't in the country.

John
    Gough doesn't drive around in Citroens. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    At the time I was an 'Anti Gough' voter....in more recent years I have come to realize that I was 'swallowing' the 'AntiGough Media Hype' and that Gough, in fact, introduced some beneficial social reform policies that have made Australia a better place to live.... Having watched the recent ABC TV series on Whitlam, I now realize the ' WRONG' man was sacked, I also realize how the power of the media can(and is) mis-used to dominate public opinion and create or destroy a government.... And all for 'self interest' reasons!
    Well said. Murdock helped Gough gain power then brought him down. The media properganda power is even more intensified today.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    The image we've all been looking for but unable to find.
    LOL
    Nice one

"BE CAUSE NOTHING drives like a DS"
    Last edited by IE23; 7th June 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

I'm sure he would love to be able to drive a Dee.

Closing down in 69-70? You can't take it away from Gough; he actually abolished in 72 - one of the first good things he had the opportunity to do when he got there.

John

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    I'm sure he would love to be able to drive a Dee.

Closing down in 69-70? You can't take it away from Gough; he actually abolished in 72 - one of the first good things he had the opportunity to do when he got there.

John
    History and opinion can vary widely. The last Australian battalion, 4RAR, left Vietnam on 8 December 1971. A year later, Gough became PM on 5 December 1972. There may have been a dozen advisers from the Training Team that he had brought home. What he did do was to abolish National Service.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    I came away after watching it thinking exactly the same thing Rod. Although being only in primary school at the time of the dismissal I can remember it vividly.
    The realize also, now in hindsight that maybe, as you say, it was all wrong.
    I wonder even more now after hearing more facts than I had read in the past, just what direction the country would have taken, had this true visionary as he now appears could have been allowed to have a decent shot at government for a decent period of time.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I loved Mungo McCallum telling what Gough actually said to the gathered cabinet ministers the first time they sat around the tables at Parliament House.....None of you C-nuts matter..... pure Gold, I actually laughed aloud when he said it. Too funny
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I'm a big fan always was, I have a lot thank Gough for; access to an education and healthcare. Just imagine if he had managed to buy back the farm, we would all be wealthy like the Norwegians by now.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information