C5 wagon tailgate sag, roof leak, auto wipers
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: C5 wagon tailgate sag, roof leak, auto wipers

Default C5 wagon tailgate sag, roof leak, auto wipers

My 2003 C5 wagon has a very poor spring or gas strut for the rear tailgate lift. I park it on a slight incline (nose higher) and the bloody tailgate will not stay open more than halfway. I have cracked my head on it that many times that if I don't get it fixed i will one day rip the @#&^#(*! off it's hinges.
    Does anyone have a quick easy and cheap solution to the problem?

Also it seems to have developed a leak in the roof, probably the sunroof and is dripping into the load bay. I can't see any obvious places around the sunroof gutter where it might be happening. Once as again does anyone have a quick easy and cheap solution to the problem?

What is it with the auto wipers. They are bonkers. I don't know why any manufacturer bothered with these as they have a mind of their own. Intermittent, or even better variable speed intermittent is far better. At least the auto headlights are reasonably sane.

Advertisement

Any comments or tips are most welcome. cheers Tony

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    My 2003 C5 wagon has a very poor spring or gas strut for the rear tailgate lift. I park it on a slight incline (nose higher) and the bloody tailgate will not stay open more than halfway. I have cracked my head on it that many times that if I don't get it fixed i will one day rip the @#&^#(*! off it's hinges.

Also it seems to have developed a leak in the roof, probably the sunroof and is dripping into the load bay. I can't see any obvious places around the sunroof gutter where it might be happening. Once as again does anyone have a quick easy and cheap solution to the problem?

What is it with the auto wipers. They are bonkers. I don't know why any manufacturer bothered with these as they have a mind of their own. Intermittent, or even better variable speed intermittent is far better. At least the auto headlights are reasonably sane.

Hi Tony,
    Have a look through this thread. . .
    C5 Series one wagon - replacing rear door struts?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Guy I know rebuilds/repaires i.e fixes them-His number disappeared with my last phone-Will dig him up sometime tomorrow if time permits.

OTHER WAY IS TO WACK ON AN OLD BIKE HELMET!

Fellow Frogger!

My 02 wagon does the same thing with the tailgate, hopeless in the morning but ok when it's warmed up a bit. I just keep a length of curtain rod in the back to use as a prop as I figured the amount of work involved in getting the things out to have them regassed was not worth the hassle. Roof leak I can't help you with, auto wipers I just laugh at as a crazy f*****g french thing. cheers Dave

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post

Matter of fact, I do have an exceedingly cheap solution for the bad lift cylinder. A piece of schedule 40 plastic pipe cut a couple of centimeters shorter than the full stroke of the cylinder rod. Detach the lift cylinder, slip the pipe over the cylinder, then reattach. Make sure that the cylinder body rests on the pipe when you lift the gate. When you want to shut the gate, just lift the gate and this will release the load on the pipe, allowing you to slip the pipe back over the cylinder and drop the gate. This will solve the problem until you actually do replace the cylinder- which should be ASAP.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

David Sheridan Leo St. Fawkner. Ph.9357 2999.

thanks guys. It seems like the sensible option will be to dig out an old length of broom stick from the shed and cut it to the required length. I might then paint it LHS green so it looks factory!
    cheers Tony

Thread Information