Heat shielding material
  • Help

Default Heat shielding material

My traction has some nicely designed stainless steel heat shields situated under the carburettor, back of the fuel pump, shielding the generator from the exhaust pipe etc. Unfortunately they are lined with asbestos which will have to be carefully removed.

Advertisement

Can anybody suggest where I can source some flexible replacement material (fairly thin).
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Hi TE,

While I have not checked it out personally, I had someone recommend to me products from DCI Performance products, available (again I was told and not confirmed) from Rare Spares or Auto One Roxburgh Park in Melbourne.

A web check on DCI performance products immediately brings up the following product:

SheetHot Flex Flexible heat-shield with adhesive backing. Heavy duty aluminised fiberglass allows superior heat protection, while the adhesive backing maximises versatility. Suitable to 490įF

Worth investigation, I think this is what the guy was telling me about. I too have asbestos lining hanging off my heat shield down on the drivers side of my ID19, looking very flakey.

cheers, leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Fellow Frogger!

....Even better, DCI Performance Products is an Aussie company....
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    My traction has some nicely designed stainless steel heat shields situated under the carburettor, back of the fuel pump, shielding the generator from the exhaust pipe etc. Unfortunately they are lined with asbestos which will have to be carefully removed.

Can anybody suggest where I can source some flexible replacement material (fairly thin).
    Hi David,
    following is a message I posted on the Yahoo SM site back in 2005, trust it is self-explanatory.

"I've just completed refurbishing the exhaust downpipe heatshields on my
    US spec 3litre auto. After 32 years of oil leaks the shields were
    becoming smoky on prolonged idle, particularly the right hand side
    (this car still has a functioning smog system and it gets real hot down
    there). The shields are a sandwich of asbestos between aluminium held
    together with steel staples. I removed the staples with a screwdriver
    and sidecutters, removed the asbestos and straightened the aluminium
    covers. Asbestos, of course, is no longer available and I had to chase
    around to find a replacement material. With impeccable logic this is
    called "non-asbestos mill board" and contains rock wool. I used 6mm
    thick board and cut it to size with a Stanley knife. The mill board
    comes as a fairly rigid sheet but when soaked in water it can be gently
    moulded to multi-curvature shapes (to a degree). After moulding it to
    shape, it was dried off with a hot air gun and the sandwich was
    assembled using 3.2mm aluminium pop-rivets. Hopefully it will last
    another 32 years. I've posted a photo in the photo section."

I still have quite a bit of this mill-board, so if you want some let me know.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi TE,

While I have not checked it out personally, I had someone recommend to me products from DCI Performance products, available (again I was told and not confirmed) from Rare Spares or Auto One Roxburgh Park in Melbourne.

A web check on DCI performance products immediately brings up the following product:

SheetHot Flex Flexible heat-shield with adhesive backing. Heavy duty aluminised fiberglass allows superior heat protection, while the adhesive backing maximises versatility. Suitable to 490įF

Worth investigation, I think this is what the guy was telling me about. I too have asbestos lining hanging off my heat shield down on the drivers side of my ID19, looking very flakey.

cheers, leconte
    Looks the business to me, at a reasonable price.
    ACL (another Aussie company) make a similar, but more expensive product. I've used the ACL product, it's good but I found it difficult to work/maniplulate.

Fellow Frogger!

The round small gas BBQs with 3 metal legs (eg. Companion brand) often have a detachable flexible stainless steel wind guard. I used one to cut and shape as an exhaust manifold heat shield on my Ds23. It worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The round small gas BBQs with 3 metal legs (eg. Companion brand) often have a detachable flexible stainless steel wind guard. I used one to cut and shape as an exhaust manifold heat shield on my Ds23. It worked a treat.
    I collect that stuff at council clean out and on building sites and use it for radiant heat shields
    The last stuff I got was a ripper, and much thinner than the BBQ stuff. Came off a velux solar tube and is the bees knees.

Jo

Many thanks guys, some very good suggestions there. Thanks for offer Roger, I will consider and pm. I only need about a foot square.
    I will also check out Lecontes suggestion.
    cheers everyone
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten

Fellow Frogger!

Asbestos particles are really nasty, I know 2 people who have died from it, not a good way to go. However it is mostly hazardous when particles are breathed in (normal dust masks will not stop these fine particles) so if you really must remove it from something important then wet it well to stop dust from flying while you do it. DONT throw the contaminated water on the ground, it will dry out & may well blow around as dust, it may not be ideal but putting it down the sewer line/sink waste is probably the best thing. Wrap any wet solid waste in several layers of taped up heavy plastic & put it into the contaminated waste area of the tip.

Also be very wary of old heat shield material you want to reuse, make sure it is glass or mineral wool & not asbestos before you touch it. This may sound a bit over the top but it really is not, keep yourself safe to have fun in your Citroen, even a Citroen hearse is not good transport.

Regards

agd123

Quote Originally Posted by agd123 View Post
    Asbestos particles are really nasty, I know 2 people who have died from it, not a good way to go. However it is mostly hazardous when particles are breathed in (normal dust masks will not stop these fine particles) so if you really must remove it from something important then wet it well to stop dust from flying while you do it. DONT throw the contaminated water on the ground, it will dry out & may well blow around as dust, it may not be ideal but putting it down the sewer line/sink waste is probably the best thing. Wrap any wet solid waste in several layers of taped up heavy plastic & put it into the contaminated waste area of the tip.

Also be very wary of old heat shield material you want to reuse, make sure it is glass or mineral wool & not asbestos before you touch it. This may sound a bit over the top but it really is not, keep yourself safe to have fun in your Citroen, even a Citroen hearse is not good transport.

Regards

agd123
    Frankly their is lot of sh1t spoken about asbestos. There are many houses with asbestos eaves and cause zero problems unless disturbed.

General advice is that it's dangerous if not handled and disposed methodically.

It's almost completely safe if it soaking wet. No dust. So hose it down before going near it.

Only morons drill and attack asbestos with saws or abrasive cutters.

House owners are allowed to remove and dispose off asbestos in non commercial quantities.

I disposed of 12 foot long 6inch diameter gas flue a few years ago. Put on a tyvek suit , wore my painting respirator.
    Laid out some thick black plastic sheet on the front lawn. Hosed down the flue and broke into short lengths. Double wrapped the flue and suit. Local council will tell where to take the double wrapped and labelled asbestos.

http://www.asbestoswise.com.au/infor...ndling/#remove

Edit: My understanding is that asbestos consists of "string fibers" rather a finely divided dust so the dust although dangerous is considered in the category on nuisance dusts. I stand to be corrected on this.

Personally I'd always use a particulate respirator but lots of people don't and are presumably complying with regs.
    Last edited by robmac; 31st May 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Yes Rob, a sensible and calm approach.
    Thanks for the link, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Frankly their is lot of sh1t spoken about asbestos. There are many houses with asbestos eaves and cause zero problems unless disturbed.

General advice is that it's dangerous if not handled and disposed methodically.

It's almost completely safe if it soaking wet. No dust. So hose it down before going near it.

Only morons drill and attack asbestos with saws or abrasive cutters.

House owners are allowed to remove and dispose off asbestos in non commercial quantities.

I disposed of 12 foot long 6inch diameter gas flue a few years ago. Put on a tyvek suit , wore my painting respirator.
    Laid out some thick black plastic sheet on the front lawn. Hosed down the flue and broke into short lengths. Double wrapped the flue and suit. Local council will tell where to take the double wrapped and labelled asbestos.

http://www.asbestoswise.com.au/infor...ndling/#remove

Because of the size of the shields , (relatively small) I intend to take them apart in water, strain and wrap up - all disposed of carefully. When I think of how many years they have, been there , removed for access etc !!!
    Then again I remember demolishing the back of my 100 yr old house in the seventies with a sledge hammer!! Lucky I guess.
    Thanks for safety reminders
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten

Yes and to think that I used to clean out the brake dust from the drums and calipers of my Fiat 1500 and Simca (no discs on the Simca though) with a straw!!??

Nobody told us the harm it can do when they knew; Hardies management kept away whilst the "workers" were expected to work without any protective gear whatsoever.

What is still around today irrespective where it is certainly has to be treated with respect if it has to be disturbed; thus care is essential to contain it upon its disturbance.

I believe the need to double wrap in 4 micron thick black plastic is related to safeguard/protect all personnel from the removal site to the final tip site prior to its burial.

Removed a few sheets from a bathroom recently and a water spray gun (along with a proper dust mask) was extensively used unlike the Fiat Simca days.

Regards,

JAJEA

Thread Information