Imported 2002 Xsara VTS Whats its Value for sale?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Imported 2002 Xsara VTS Whats its Value for sale?

Hi guys,

Advertisement

I used to be a member here but my account was deleted because i hadn't logged on in quite a while. Anyway......

I'm irish, living in brisbane for 5.5 years. I've owned my 2002 Xsara VTS for 7 years. I shipped it over here 4 years ago as it was just sitting on my fathers drive and due to the economy in Ireland no one was buying cars. Prices there plummeted, ie. You can currently buy a 2004 BMW M3 there for 12,000 Euro or 15-16k Aus. 40k is the going price for them here!

Anyway, I've since bought a new car and my xsara has been sat in my garage for 3 months. I've spent thousands on it over the years not incuding the import charges and shipping to get her here.

I'll be putting an ad in the for sale section but I just wanted to get some opinions of what its worth. It reads in miles. 105,000 miles which equates to 168,000 km. All the import paper work comes with the car and engineers certificate for all modifications.

Does it being an import add or decrease value in your opinion?

The good:

Full Cituning body kit, twin exhausts, great engine well looked after. oil changes every 7,500km done by myself.
    Extremely rare Rear LED lights.
    Two brand new front tyres, literally 2km on them from the wheel place to my house. Rear tyres have 90% thread i think. 17" wolfrace alloys.
    Debadged front grill
    KN induction kit
    i just bought 6 months rego for her last month.

The bad:

The standard bucket seats have a bit of wear from getting in and out of the car as can be expected for an 11 year old car.

The driver passenger window doesn't work at the minute, the cables pullies got chewed up. I have a new pulley kit, and new trim clips to go with sale. the window regulator works fine(Thats expensive bit to replace so no worries) I imagin a mechanic/auto electrician could install in 20 minutes or someone who's handy enough DIYinig

Airbag light is on - Airbags have never gone off- i was toldd by mechanic its the drivers seat wiring/tensioner and was quoted 70$ to fix

Engine fault light is on- This is from the o2 sensor which has been replaced with a genuine bosch 02 sensor but the mechanic didn't have the correct ODB scanner to clear the codes.

Alloys have a few kerbing marks.

I was going to put it on ebay but i thought i'd see if an enthusiast would like first dibs. So whats it worth?

See the attached pics.

The strut brace is no longer on the car and i will be selling seperatly.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Look at carsales and see what there selling for with that age and vintage. I imagine being an import that may have been driven on salted roads won't improve the value. Nor will the fact it's been modified People out here looking for modified cars never look at anything with a citroen badge.... Out here you get a V8 statesman (though I'm sure you have worked that out!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Definitely less for being an import, less for all the body kit etc that make it look like it's been driven hard and less for no receipts for servicing. Is $4-5k being optimistic?

Fellow Frogger

Has it been registered in Australia? If not, then it's probably worth the value of the parts you can remove or as a track car of some sort.

Tadpole

Yeh it's been registered since I brought it over. Car hasn't been rallied at all. Never on a track day either. I was going to put it on ebay starting price of $3,000. See where it takes me. not too fussed about the money, just want the extra room in my garage as i've a 73 Celica i'm restoring and a 330ci BMW as my daily.

Fellow Frogger!

They don't have huge resale value here. This might have some special hotted up appeal. In standard spec I would say two grand. In this spec 3-4.5 grand. I have been considering one at six grand, 60ks 2.0 auto and proper three year warranty through a dealer 2004 one owner with new cam belt. Chris M

1000+ Posts

Hi-Whack a few bags of 'Praties' in the boot I maybe 'an old Irish Mate' will turn up and give you a ripper price!!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-Whack a few bags of 'Praties' in the boot I maybe 'an old Irish Mate' will turn up and give you a ripper price!!!
    Hilarious.

If you're going to try and spell potato in Irish for your whacky japes, at least spell it/translate it correctly.

FYI it's spelt prŠtaŪ

Fellow Frogger!

A neighbour just bought a similar xara but 4 door for 1k

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    A neighbour just bought a similar xara but 4 door for 1k
    Theres a huge difference between any of the 4 doors and mine. Also a huge difference between any of the coupes and the VTS.

A VTR is only a 1.6 litre. The VTS is a 2 litre has the same engine and chassis as a peugeot 306 gti except it has a 5 speed rather than a 6 speed gearbox.

167bhp factory standard.

Citroen really missed a trick using the name VTS when it is a GTI car.

1000+ Posts

Sorry -I am not perfect yet but a few spelling mistakes over a few years could be excused?Plenty of people 'round the World' would spell it that way.

Sorry -I am not perfect yet but a few spelling mistakes over a few years could be excused?Plenty of people 'round the World' would spell it that way.
    I sympathize Pete. But when you take the mickey your spelling needs to be spot on.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Eusto View Post
    Theres a huge difference between any of the 4 doors and mine. Also a huge difference between any of the coupes and the VTS.
    The lesser models will drag it down, but a clean VTS should still be $4K+. As always, you can pay less, but it is likely to need work exceeding the difference in price (e.g. the silver one with a dud engine in Sydney). A busted window regulator is the best part of $1K to begin with, so it's worth paying the extra. The two things working against your car are possible corrosion being ex-UK and fear of registration difficulties, especially interstate. Being able to provide reassurance on both points will help you.

Love yer spuds, I'm surrounded by 'em.
    Praties (BTW) is the name of a fast food place here,so the spelling is in the Aussie vernacular

Here's an Aussie sold on ebay VTS with similar mileage.
    'Course, the motor is out of the car and the timing belt is gone...

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Citroen-X...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by richo; 30th May 2013 at 12:08 AM.

ok so i can see you have added a body kit and the cross bar on the suspension
    other than that what other modification have you done on it

also did you drive it in winter in Ireland at all

i have a mkr 1 1.8 16valver
    it had 60k on the clock when it was bought last year and paid 4k for it

looking at yours i would say that being an import where they roads are gritted and being over 100k on the clock

best you would getr it 3k to 4k for it and that's only cause of the body work

with out the body work you be lucky to get 2k for it because of where you imported it from

Personally, you could do a lot better by not opening a thread on AF about how much your car is worth
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I sympathize Pete. But when you take the mickey your spelling needs to be spot on.
    Well to be totally honest I was not taking the Mickey-my thought that that would be some good bait for somebody who LOVES praties-not only that a little sense of humour could be just what may be needed to help a seller find a buyer.
    May I also add that I have had many many great Irish mates over the years [Sadly buried one about a year ago]& I know that they & definitely would not take any offence & would appreciate the comment & would more than likely follow it through.

May I also say thanks for your comment PLUS from Eusto's comment he had a good laugh-but he also got one back on me-I could not work out what 'japes' were till I re-read it a couple of times-but -I presume-a typo & he meant jokes.

I could not work out what 'japes' were till I re-read it a couple of times-but -I presume-a typo & he meant jokes.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/japes
    Or you'd find it listed in either the Oxford or the Macquarie.

1000+ Posts

Well there you go-I haves definitely never heard that word before. I reckon though that a little joy & laughter helps get us through life-which can be a lot tougher for others than what we may know or understand.That's why I have particularly appreciated both the Irish & Scot's-there ability to bring laughter & joy into the lives of others is amazing-Maybe it is in there Blood?.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The lesser models will drag it down, but a clean VTS should still be $4K+. As always, you can pay less, but it is likely to need work exceeding the difference in price (e.g. the silver one with a dud engine in Sydney). A busted window regulator is the best part of $1K to begin with, so it's worth paying the extra. The two things working against your car are possible corrosion being ex-UK and fear of registration difficulties, especially interstate. Being able to provide reassurance on both points will help you.
    The regulator is fine. The cable pullies slipped off the wheel and got chewed up. I have the new cable pullies, wheel, clips and trim clips ready to go in. I have taken the damgaed bits out, the window is back in, i don't have rivet gun to reinstall. Otherwise it would be done.

A regulator is in and around 300$ anyway so i don't know where this $1k is coming from?

New from Citroen with fitting I believe would be pretty close to a grand wouldn't it?
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger

Yes, there are less expensive repairs either DIY or using used parts, but ask a local dealer for a quote using new parts supplied locally and you are unlikely to have any change from $1K.

Tadpole

Well thats where yis are going wrong.If you ever need a part and it can wait, get it from London or europe. i got quoted 500$ for a Bosch 02 sensor. bought it on ebay in England and had the part in a week and a half for 50$ including shipping.

Tadpole

Anyway, the car is in the for sale section for 3995$ or best offer.

Fellow Frogger

Most people are well and truly wise to the UK or eBay options, but it doesn't suit everyone and plenty of people either can't or don't want to get involved in DIY. To them, it's likely to be a $1K repair as I suggested. If someone can do that sort of job for less, they can factor that in if it's needed, but it will eventually be likely on any 2 door Xsara.

Hope your car finds a buyer as they are a comfortable, safe and even fun car.

Thread Information