Xantias in France today.
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantias in France today.

Have been travelling in France since 18 May. Have seen numerous Xantias mostly in really good nick. Given the youngest must be closing on 13 years, it is another testament to their build quality. One BX, 2 XMs and half a dozen C6s also seen. 2cvs seen were used for carting tourists.
    Anyone with a manual Xantia already knows how good they are.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Perhaps you can track down sources of spares while you are there :-). I have bought a second Turbo CT, and would prefer to do it up (initially bought as spares for original CT), but need to find parts at reasonable prices - you know, little things like rubber hoses.

Anyway, have a great trip. Are you planning on bringing home a little memento of France, such as an SM?
    Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Travelling with an 11 kg backpack, so won' t fit an SM. I also have a CT turbo at home in Oz. Spare rubber LHM return hoses -octopus- is something I will be looking for. What other bits are hard to get?

1000+ Posts

Very impressed at your hardiness, travelling so light. Yes I knew you had a CT

As to parts - radiator hoses is my current problem! Seems oil has leaked onto my top hose (near thermostat), causing it to swell and presumably weaken. It's not quite an octopus, but has some arms (branch pipes) joined to it, so it's not easily replaced by generic ones, and is apparently not the same as the one fitted to non-turbo 8-valve engines. Being rubber, they are all going to need replacing sooner or later .

I may well be able to get one through Citroen (or indeed Peugeot, as our CT motor was fitted to 605s and 406s), but it's not available through our non-dealer suppliers (EAI etc.) or through GSF. I haven't tried to order one from Citroen, because they cost over $300!!! Bottom one is similar in price...

Anyway, enjoy your backpacking - life's too short to be worrying about spare parts on a trip like that. It's good to hear that Xantias are still about, as I have thought (dreamed?) of buying a cheap car for transport for a European trip (would probably buy in England though).

Cheers

Alec

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Am also travelling in France since 14 may, and noticed the large numbers of xantias still in operation ! Also the fact they are mostly green or blue which were generally diesel.
    Other than that the odd .cx or mehari and that's it!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Thread Information