2CV Appreciation Thread
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 2CV Appreciation Thread

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CV Appreciation Thread

Hi all, I was just playing with my Ipad and have never taken a pic on it before this morning. So I thought I'd better christen it, no way better than with some pics of my 2CV.

Then thinking (generally of Citroens 24 hours a day) that I'm not sure if a thread had been created & thought to create one!! So if any other 2CV lovers would like to put their pics up go for it.

Advertisement

My car is a '77 Club, and I have owned it since 1997. Bert Houtepen told me about it from a Sydney Morning Herald advert (in at 7 grand!!) and it was from Paddington - deceased estate and good chassis.....rough everything else. A start up (middle of Paddington) was like an atomic bomb going off and filled the street (s) with smoke. It had a rusted bonnet, since changed, scraped mudguards, rusty wheels with flat and balding tyres, faded paint, horrible black velour interior, rusty and dented bumpers, holes in the roof, bent suspension arm, leaks, rusty floor, leaking front air vent - you always got wet in the rain...and it never really ran well.

In 1999-2000 I decided it looked aweful and had it painted (a local place near where I live now closed) with new roof (Carey Motors). The exterior was painted only and rust/ dents removed. I got new mudflaps, a grille and rear bumper. That was enough then. Bruce Elsegood serviced it and it was a great bit of fun.....but for many years I hoped that the rego man would not get too picky because there were plenty of hiddden defects like faded lenses, leaks etc. Whilst it looked nice, it still didn't drive well.

So at the start of last year I decided it needed to be fixed properly. I bought a full new interior, had head lining and footwell soundproofing all renewed, new seat belts, and internal plastic corner brackets each side of dash. Lots of new things like wipers, rear windscreen beading, decorative chrome strips, rubbers all over the place from air vents to wherever...all new locks and keys, shocks, exhaust, alternator, exhaust boxes, window rubbers, sunroof clips, sunvisors, window clips, plastic light lenses front and back, steering wheel (actually only non Club part, from a Special), anti draft seals, badges, light pod, headlight (one, and damn hard to get), grille, mirrors and the list goes on. Trim done at Smiths at Lidcombe, parts 90% Peter Fosselius, 10% David Parkinson.

Tom Dolan took the engine out and pulled everything to bits and had it for 4-5 months with the brief being to work on when there was a spare moment. It had an engie rebuild, got new clutch, heater cable, brakes and front suspension. It has been serviced and tuned properly and runs beautifully. I got the wheels aligned and balanced too at Spinning Wheel at Waterloo.

Schenks did a lot of body work. Starting with some simple repairs to fix rust. They stripped the wheels and painted them all. They fixed some rust right under the mudguard, and I had the inside of each front mudguard painted. I then had them fix the floor so they took it for 3 months and it was stripped and repaired. The car then had a full internal paint job - floor and all around windscreen, doors, boot so everything now looks fresh and clean.

I have been debating whether or not to have the doors done again on the outside as I reckon the finish could be a bit better, but when you look at them, they are so light and flimsy. It hardly seems worth it. I am fussy though and might still have done at some point.

I am currently compiling a log book on the car and do have a partial history on it. I believe it to be a Scottish import, so Bert tells me, which much early service done at Chevron by John Vancheopp.

Also, I have become a bit Total oil obsessed and have purchased a few Total bits and pieces off the net and am about to get a quantity of Total synthetic oil to put in it.

I adore the car and would never consider parting with it. It now owes me heaps but it has been worth every cent. I use it each weekend and love having the roof back and taking it to the beach. SO many people smile at it and take pics of it, but for me the real interest lies in the history of the 2CV and Citroen in the great years (talking Traction/ DS and 2CV). The brilliant thinking and the innovation. Great stuff. I love the Citroen driver to Citroen driver wave as well.

The colour of my car is rouge gerranium. Not quite a red and not quite orange. And last mad dude thing.....don't you love the matching red key ring!!! I could not resisit

Hope we can see more 2CV's on Aussiefrogs.

Chris Mortimer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv11.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv4.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv5.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv7.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv3.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv8.jpg  

2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv6.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv14.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv2.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv12.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv13.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv16.jpg  

Last edited by qmusic; 27th May 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Lovely 2cv. If you want to keep it looking that good, you better secure the heater tubes before (RHS) dropping on the exhaust and burn your 2cv.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fire in the 2CV

Hi Chris
    the heater tubes will eventually burn through if they drop on to the exhaust. This is how it happens

• First you will smell a little bit of pollution, but as you are driving down the Rhine in an industrial area you will think it is just some of the smog.
    • Next you will notice that the screen is a little foggy, you know the sort of smearing that comes on windscreens on the inside when the weather is warm that comes from the plastics in the car
    • then you will think you have left the heater tubes open as the car is beginning to get uncomfortably warm
    • however as it is a warm day you don't think too much about this
    • the locals are very friendly as they drive past you in Germany, they are waving at you all the time, and your wife, in the passenger seat of a RHD Dolly, waves enthusiastically back at them noting how warm and friendly they are, not like their reputation at all
    • suddenly the screen in front goes all smokey
    • next there are flames dancing up in front of the windscreen
    • Merde you cry as you realise that the flames are inside not outside and you now have removed all hairs on your fingers
    • pulling to the side of the road you call on your spouse to get out quickly while you do the same
    • You much better half, thinking quickly grabs the passports and money
    • You open the bonnet to find flames leaping at you in a foretaste of what the afterlife may be like
    • without realising what you are doing you open the back door, get two 1.5 litre bottles of water and douse the flames as you know it is not a petrol or electrical fire
    • at this stage a BMW R100RS motorcycle rider stops to help you, but as you cant speak German and he does not speak English you cant really communicate.
    • A black BMW comes screaming to a halt with lights flashing while your heart is climbing down to a pulse rate somewhat closer to 200 beats per minute
    • as the policeman jumps out and starts to talk in German, then French but not English you say thank you for having married a Bretton who can converse with him whilst you try to stop his partner from covering the poor little duck in fire extinguisher foam
    • the fire is out, the police have spotted the incident on the traffic cameras and directed the patrol car to you
    • Thank you big brother!!!
    • after your heart recovers and a nice long hug with the one you love , you have a closer look.
    • the heater tube is toast, some wires are singed but much to the surprise of everyone once a few wraps of insulating tape are applied the brave little duck burst into life
    • The police are amazed, the motorcycle rider gives you a slap on the shoulder and heads off, and you wife just looks on in admiration at the technical wonder she thinks you are.
    • after a bit of time spent explaining why an Australian, married to a French Australian is travelling in an English car from a French car maker along the Rhine, they shake their heads in disbelief, shake our hands and wave us on our way
    • At the earliest opportunity you find a place to stay for the night and then have a really big beer, then another, and .....

Well it may not happen exactly like that for you but I think you get the idea. BTW that is the same Dolly we still have after travelling in it for six months from Ireland to Croatia through the UK, France, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Germany and the low counties and it is still our favourite car.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

at the end of the 2CV RAID to Byron Bay I had some visitors to my house in Nimbin....
    Grisy and bernie in the RAID 2CV2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03914.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03915.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03916.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03918.jpg
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

Peter (2CV Viking) - I'm sure you have spotted many things sourced from you. Thanks again mate and great to have had access to all of this. It is tidy now!! I wish I had a before and after shot. It really was very rough in the early days....

Peter O - I am still chuckling. Utterly priceless!! LOVE the humour.

Gents - do see the serious side and will have a look and get fixed. I thought they were on ok as they are all new. Must be slipping so we cannot have that.

Andrew - did you say Nimbin? Was just there recently. What a mad old place. Can just see 2CV's being at home there. The trip before, I get out of the car to head into an art exhibition. Wife with me and poodle, and instantly asked if I wanted to buy weed. Walk past a cafe, and some old lady is sitting there puffing away on some grass having a coffee. Bizzare indeed.

I hope some more 2CV pics appear on this thread over the next few weeks and months. As you can see, I adore mine to bits and could not imagine not having it.

Chris M

Hey Chris...yes...my uncle died and left me his home in Cecil st
    he was an Vietnam vet and adjusted to life in this accepting place...
    What you saw is the surface stuff...behind that are some interesting people,environmentalists,artists,musicians etc
    My place is up the hill in Cecil st (past the hospital where my uncle died

Here are some more 2CV photo's..this time from the annual CCCV BBQ I generally hold at my place in Red Hill (Vic)

2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03505.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03513.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03514.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03517.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03518.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03519.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc03520.jpg
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

and here is the earliest chassis known surviving Slough 2CV and I found this in Dromana ...the owner saw me in the local IGA carpark whilst driving my 2CV and asked if I was interested in it... I wasn't but invited the owner to the club BBQ where a lucky CCCV member bought her...2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-001.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-002.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-003.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-004.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-005.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-006.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-007.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-early2cv-008.jpg
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

and at one of the all french dayus2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc00549.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc00550.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc00553.jpg
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

and here is a wedding I did at T'Gallant a few years ago

2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-011.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-013.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-023.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-024.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-025.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-026.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-lisa-matts-wedding-027.jpg
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv

Andrew, I love that blue one. Is that you looking lovingly at that lovely lady???

A sensational setting and the car is great. A bit of a ding in the rear bumper but.....still a great colour.

I love the other shots and that old car - what happenned to it? Is it being restored?

Bert Houtepen has an old one like it that he had in his longe room at some point. It was on Carsales recently too. It would make an awesome project.

I know there are some who love the battered looking work horse 2CV, but I like mind neat and tidy.

They have just the sweetest little engine, lovely soft seats and I NEVER get sick of driving mine. As I said, if you were just an attention seeker (they come and they go...) you would enjoy owning one. Anyone that has seen Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris who understood the creative and innovative movement within French society in the 30s and 40s would love the car because it was a part of that mentality - the creative spirit and the passion for true design.

The worst part for me having to deal with 2CV separation was when Tom had it for about 5 months. I was carrying around pictures and reading whatever literature I could find on the car. I visited repeatedly and was relieved and normalised when the car came back!!

The final thing I will say is that they are not everybody's cup of tea. Despite some people smiling and really reacting to the car positively, many ignore it completely. So therefore it feels very normal most of the time.

Chris

Chris...the Celest Blu (Corn Blue?) 2CV is mine and I just provided the 2CV for the bride...just did another wedding in Red Hill only a few months back..
    Have had her since 2002 and i've had a few cars come & go but a 2CV is a keeper
    I never get sick of it.. it's not crass like my 308 appears..it is a social leveler..doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is and I love that about the car...
    Form follows function...
    I drove my 2CV fully packed for near 8,000 kms in the recent RAID & all I can say is WHAT A CAR.
    the slough 2CV is being stored as far as I know..the owner may want his privacy so I won't mention his name..
    I have replaced the bent bumper and headlights since those photos were taken

2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02418.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02443.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02494.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02537.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02543.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02593.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02606.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02688.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc02701.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc04132.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc04133.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc04134.jpg   2CV Appreciation Thread-dsc04135.jpg  
    Last edited by dogboy; 27th May 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

Great pics Andrew. I would worry about scrathes!! Aren't we all different....

They are remarkably tough and durable and look at home in the outback.

What do people do with the cars post raid? Do they get restored or left in raid spec in general?

They are highly addictive indeed and for all the right reasons.
    Let's hope we get to see a few more photos of different cars. Chris

JBN

Default Dolly the Charleston

I bought this car in the UK in 1993 and imported it into Oz in 1994. It was originally a red and white Dolly, 1986, last of the French built ones. It was damaged on the container coming to Oz. The platform built over it to allow more goods to be stacked on top broke. The resultant damaged was claimed against the insurance, I stripped the car completely and had it resprayed in Glasurit 2 pack in plums and custard, but with a Charleston themed paint job.

2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv-small.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dolly-1.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-dolly-2.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-2cv-loaded-1.jpg
    I don't take many photos of my cars, but the paintwork still looks good after 18 years. Its just a car so I don't worry too much about scratches, I worry more about some rust bubbles that will need money thrown at them so that they go away.

I need to do a bit of work on it - replace disc rotors and pads, helicoil input manifold nuts to stop false air, replace rear brake shoes. I also have a set of houndstooth seat upholstery to be added after I refurbish the seats.

John

JBN

Default Daffy Duck the Raider

This car was built for the bush. It started life as a collection of bits and pieces.
    2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-01.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-02.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-03.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-04.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-05.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-06.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-reno-16.jpg

It then needed to be injected with a bit character and mongrel.
    2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-008.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-009.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-011.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-012.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-013.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-014.jpg
    The car exhaust is V8 ready with a 2 cylinder deposit and 6 more cylinders to come.
    The matching cap confirms the owner is not the full quid. 2CV Appreciation Thread-daffy-hat.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Great pics John.

The fuel cap on the yellow one is in an interesting place. Is there an internal tank somewhere? The V8 concept is interesting!!

I am glad you were able to rescue that other one. Looks like a car that was on the next within the last year with a black and maroon Charleston.

Great to see pics of other 2cvs. I am surprised there aren't more, but lets wait and see. Chris

Here are some pictures of my red left-hand drive 2CV that I recently sold. I'd had it for nearly twenty years but hadn't done anything with it for many years as it had a conked out engine. Now it's gone to a good home; I do miss it a little bit but life goes on. And I still have a Slough 2CV in my garage that is another restoration project - but in all honesty I'll probably sell that too as I'm lazy - very lazy, actually - and I really just want a 2CV that I can put in the key and it just starts, and that has registration. I've had the Slough for even longer, maybe 22 years. My yellow 2CV is also up for sale on Carsales - some bites but no sale yet...2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010269.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010275.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010279.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010266.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010268.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p1010278.jpg

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Great pics John.

The fuel cap on the yellow one is in an interesting place. Is there an internal tank somewhere? The V8 concept is interesting!!

I am glad you were able to rescue that other one. Looks like a car that was on the next within the last year with a black and maroon Charleston.
    I think you are talking about the foot vent just to the rear of the front mudguard. They are off an old Toyota F40 Landcruser. Very popular with WA Raiders as they get some air down in the footwell to disperse the heat. Positioned as they are, It doesn't matter what speed you travel at, the draft is the same. As you go faster, most of the air is above the vent.

If anyone is interested in adding these foot flaps (operated by the feet), find a wrecker that has a set and who is willing to cut the surrounding metal from the Landcruiser. You want 30-50mm wide. This will give you the recessed seat, the hinge and the spring locator. The next trick is to carefully cut out the hole for the flap (should be about 5mm larger than the actual flap. Then panel beat the flap surround so it is nice and flat, and file the outer surface. On the 2CV, wirebrush the inside surround around the flap hole. Phone Loctite for the two adhesive components you need (and source them from a Loctite supplier). One product goes onto one surface, the other product goes on the other surface and they react when clamped. Prior to gluing, position the flap suround and drill two holes on each of the sides for rivets. Clamp the surround (with glue) to the car with rivets. When cured, grind off rivets and use bog to round off edges. It is unwise to weld the heavy Toyota metal with the thin 2CV metal.

The fuel tank is normal. The clear plastic collar around the filler is becasue the rubber one I had would not fit the hole. A plastic drink bottle was butchered to fit. For Raid conditions, I carry two 20 litres plastic jerry cans inside the car. Theoretically that should give about 800kms range (25l + 20l + 20l).

John

Fellow Frogger!

John, an interesting modification. Great idea to improve range and the cooling mod great too.

Bert, those are sad pics mate. That is a long time indeed. Stuff selling the yellow one. Fix and make perfect, turn key and drive I say.

Do you have any pics of the other old car 22 years of ownership?

what about variants? Wondering about vans....Chris

This is a ripper thread gentlemen and long may it endure. Does anyone have a rough idea how many 2CVs there are in the country..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Fellow Frogger!

Floride, when I got mine there weren't as many......I suspect there would be many more here by now. They were sold here briefly in the 50s or 60s - one of these. I read an article in Wheels with a car supplied by commonwealth motors in vic. Chris

JBN

A POOTA (Plucked Out Of The Air) figure would be 300 2CVs in Australia. Do I have any others bids?

John

Fellow Frogger!

When spending 7 months travelling in Europe in 2003 (travelling in a Xantia we purchased in the UK) we got to Denmark and visited Bilund where we saw these 2CVs
    2CV Appreciation Thread-p7170263.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p7170243.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-p7170264.jpg2CV Appreciation Thread-01850177.jpg

Yes we went to LegoLand, and had a great day. Stained glass window was from Asterix Parc near Paris, another great day.

It was on this trip we pick up the AZUA Van. Pics when I can find them, and story to follow
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    John, an interesting modification. Great idea to improve range and the cooling mod great too.

Bert, those are sad pics mate. That is a long time indeed. Stuff selling the yellow one. Fix and make perfect, turn key and drive I say.

Do you have any pics of the other old car 22 years of ownership?

what about variants? Wondering about vans....Chris
    The yellow one actually starts , runs , brakes and everything works and is parked up in glebe. But I have to do some rust repairs and going through the rigmarole of rego.It is gathering a nice coat of dust and soon I can advertise it as a genuine barn find! Work on my Slough one came to a halt when we moved from Burwood to Strathfield 21 years ago. By then I also had the running LHD one which kept me happy.My strathfield garage was a third smaller in size then the one i just vacated. so it sat and sat in the carport for years.I already done a lot of work on it. The seats are done,some coats of paint (maroon) rust repairs, got new wiring, and the engine was done as well. The irony is that since a year and a half I now have this massive 6 and a half by ten meter garage but am also a lot older and have less energy and not so keen anymore. What I now want in my garage is gleaming regd. vehicles.Very recently I got rid of the 404 sedan(project) and the LHD 2CV. I want the yellow one gone too and the Slough one perhaps will also have go. I do want a good regd. 2CV though,like a nice red, French blue or kermit green one. Will send pictures soon of the Slough one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    and here is a wedding I did at T'Gallant a few years ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 011.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	44160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 013.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	44161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 023.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	44162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 024.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	44163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 025.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	44164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 026.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	44165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisa & Matt's wedding 027.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	44166
    Would't mind a bleu one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    A POOTA (Plucked Out Of The Air) figure would be 300 2CVs in Australia. Do I have any others bids?

John
    Yeah, something like that. BTW John, I went to visit Jim Dawson the other day and thought I look you up but my phone wasn't working when i got to Kirrawee.and wasnt' sure about the address!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Thread Information