Towing with a C5: Are weight distribution bars advisable?
  • Help

Default Towing with a C5: Are weight distribution bars advisable?

Thanks to everyone who has helped son far with advice on towing a caravan etc. The Van in question should come in at around 1250 kgs fully laden, and I am trying to get the towball weight down but doubt I'll be able to manage 75kgs, probably more like 90 kgs.

I'm just after peoples thoughts about this and whether weight distribution/ torsion bars may help with towing, or if the cars suspension can handle this load by itself?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default !!

Quote Originally Posted by pdjones View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has helped son far with advice on towing a caravan etc. The Van in question should come in at around 1250 kgs fully laden, and I am trying to get the towball weight down but doubt I'll be able to manage 75kgs, probably more like 90 kgs.

I'm just after peoples thoughts about this and whether weight distribution/ torsion bars may help with towing, or if the cars suspension can handle this load by itself?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi
    To answer the last part first. Yes. Yes.

I cannot see how you can be so definitive about the ball weight. When packing you just have to shift an item of 7.5 Kg from the front to the rear, or similar.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    To answer the last part first. Yes. Yes.

I cannot see how you can be so definitive about the ball weight. When packing you just have to shift an item of 7.5 Kg from the front to the rear, or similar.
    Jaahn
    I second that

The ball weight I measured with scales. Isn't that how you do it?

1000+ Posts

Default Ball weight !

The ball weight I measured with scales. Isn't that how you do it?
    Hi
    Yes that is how to do it. However the final ball weight will be with the van fully packed and ready to go. Water, food, clothes, bedding etc etc etc. Where you put all this can be the way to trim the ball weight to what you want. As I said just shifting something like, say the canned food (for example) from the front to the rear can change it from 90 to 75 Kg.

I have found a couple of those cheaper shepards crook type of bars makes everything tow better. As well as ballancing the car by transferring some of the ball weight to the front wheels, it damps the hitch point and helps prevent swaying under adverse conditions. Even a light bouncy camper trailer is better with them. I would probably use 4 if I was going far and fast.

Jaahn

Thanks Jaahn. I'm actually looking at an AL KO AKS 1300/3004 stabiliser coupling. They look pretty neat. I'm aware of the torsion bar thingies but am not sure how to fit them.

1000+ Posts

Default Hitches !!

Thanks Jaahn. I'm actually looking at an AL KO AKS 1300/3004 stabiliser coupling. They look pretty neat. I'm aware of the torsion bar thingies but am not sure how to fit them.
    Hi
    Well pdjones they look great. However I probably would not spend my money on one. The simple torsion bar thingies do a dual job, weight redistribution and sway control. I have found them simple and effective. I have bought new ones at garage sales to replace ones I "loaned" to people who then wanted to keep them.

You just get the cast unit with the holes and bolt it on under the ball. Drill a hole and put a bolt to one side to prevent the turning forces moving it. The bar holes have a D shaped bottom section which the D shaped lug on the bar fits into and locates itself.

Then you fit some brackets on the tow frame to hook the bars up on to.

Fitting them when hitching is easy. You fit them in the holes at right angles to the car axis and then turn them towards the van. Lift them up onto the brackets to tension. I have several holes in my brackets to set the height, which sets the lift force.

Simple effective and cheap gets my vote any day. However I am a tight arse for sure. But I hate things that look good but do not work. Been my experience that most people have an expensive rig and do not know how to rig or load it. So they buy the heaviest gear etc and trust the sales staff for shit advice.
    Jaahn

PS reading between the lines again, I now realise you may have a European style ball on a stalk, not an Aussie tow bar style. Is that the problem.
    J
    Last edited by jaahn; 26th May 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: an additional thought !

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've had an older version of those ALKO hitches. They are a brilliantly designed thing. The one I had bolts underneath the towball... You tighten a friction component on them that was like a brake/clutch pad.... The tighter you tightened it, the harder it is to turn the hitch (this would stop swaying and is **required** for those crappy vans that have no nose weight)...... swaying POS by design The hitch also has a "jockey wheel type" handle that allows you to transfer weigh to the front of the car like normal level rider bars. This hitch also works with the "ALKO" over-run brake system that was used with the ultralights. Normal level riders interfered with the brakes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information