Citroen GS Panel Repair
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen GS Panel Repair

Hi gents,

I'm restoring a 1974 Citroen GS Club wagon at the moment and I've just recovered it from the mechanic. I can now turn the key and the engine starts and the car lifts up like a majestic phoenix rising from the ashes!

I will begin work on the body soon as I have a couple of dents in door panels that need to be seen to. Can anyone recommend a panel beater in the Melbourne Area that is sympathetic to cars of this vintage? I live in Collingwood so anywhere in roughly around Melbourne would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Lopo Jr View Post
    Hi gents,

I'm restoring a 1974 Citroen GS Club wagon at the moment and I've just recovered it from the mechanic. I can now turn the key and the engine starts and the car lifts up like a majestic phoenix rising from the ashes!

I will begin work on the body soon as I have a couple of dents in door panels that need to be seen to. Can anyone recommend a panel beater in the Melbourne Area that is sympathetic to cars of this vintage? I live in Collingwood so anywhere in roughly around Melbourne would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Congrats on having a handy little Citroen.. wish I had a GS wagon!
    I'm afraid I can't recommend any panel beaters but others will make suggestions...
    Love to see a photo of the GS and if you could post the chassis/engine number details that would be of aid to the GS register of known vehicles in Australia...(registration details are not needed)
    Good Luck with it
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

If you want to start somewhere very close by, you might talk to Con at Butler Street Panels (37 Butler st Richmond). I understand that Mel of the late Citromotors used to send work there. Phone: 9421 0764

Hi gents,

Cheers!
    LopoJr, I am doing a mild resto on '74 break and may be able to offer some leads. CCCV members have been fantastic. See my trials & tribulations at GS Break Purchase
    I live Heidelberg way which is pretty close to you. Maybe we should get talking? I will PM you.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

Loop, sounds great. I had one ages ago in delta blue also a 74 model. They are great little cars. Keep us all posted. Chris Mortimer

Tadpole

Thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly team! I'll follow those leads and let you know how it goes. Until then, here a few pics from when I picked it up from the mechanic. He did a great job especially since I only asked him to swap out the old engine for the newer engine I gave him.

Tadpole

Citroen GS Panel Repair-img_0038.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0040.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0041.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	43883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	43884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	43885
    Fantasic..looks very clean...
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I've used Con at Butler Street Panels in Richmond on my CX and he was great. He certainly knows Citroens and always seems to be working on one.

Fellow Frogger!

Lovely mate. A fine car and I'm sure it will come up well. Chris

Tadpole

Thanks for all the input everyone! I worked on the car a little bit today and I will have some photos to come.

Also, I thought I'd let you know I have the old 1220 engine that was in the car up for grabs. I have only had it running once and I'm no mechanic so other than that I don't know what condition it's in. However, I do know I wanted something more reliable so I took it out.

If anyone wants a spare GS engine to recondition or have on the side for parts please let me know. You can have it for next to nothing.

Tadpole

So we got onto the car last weekend and we had a look at a few things while the car was on and brought home a few panels for cleaning and painting.

Few things for you guys that are after numbers and serials for the GS register. Carburettor leak and corroded LHM Plug in my LHM tin. Anyone have a spare or know where to get one? Also a spare LHM can that I believe comes from a Pallas?

More stuff to do but forging ahead!Citroen GS Panel Repair-img_0090.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0091.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0092.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0093.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0097.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0098.jpgCitroen GS Panel Repair-img_0101.jpg

Thanks for the pics.
    Now published on the latest Register update: Australian Citroen GS GSA Birotor Register - GS Register Home
    Looking forward to more updates.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thread Information