As always ... the usual.... CX's and there charging systems
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default As always ... the usual.... CX's and there charging systems

There simple .... basic ... so why don't they ever work

Advertisement

I noticed a couple of weeks ago the charge light came on..... when I turned the car off um, that's a newie ... the light then went out when the ignition was turned on .... so I started the car and checked the voltage at the battery. 14.1volts.....Hmmm..... Got me buggered I left the car in a shed for a couple of weeks without thinking about it ..... Then I went to drive it a few days ago.................. Not a bloody cracker .... The dash lights wouldn't even come on I charged the battery up last yesterday and noticed the charge light was on again last night after I moved the car....hmmm.... I drove to work today.... charging perfectly, but the battery seemed down a bit ..... Yep, I'm a genius, that's why I didn't think of pulling the battery terminal while I was at work.... Sure enough, I went to leave work tonight and the battery was to flat to spin the starter

On the plus side, my new jumper leads work a treat :
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1200AMP-J...a1959f1&_uhb=1

On the negative side ... my wife wasn't really impressed about having to load all the kids in the car and come out so I could jump start it .... "You told me last week you thought the battery was no good ... WHY DRIVE IT WITHOUT GETTING A NEW BATTERY" ............. Hee, hee.... I think I have killed the battery ... I'll chuck the ID19's battery in the boot just incase the battery won't hold a charge since being flattened like it was.

Anyway, I got home, switched it off..... charge light straight on .... WTF ... turned the ignition on ... charge light off I was thinking I'd need to pull the ignition out as a contact in it has obviously died... Removing CX igntions is always fun. I pulled the exciter wire off the alternator, managing to touch it to earth..... Bugger it ... No doubt I've now blown a fuse .... Imagine my surprise when I found the fuses intact, and the battery charge light back to it's normal behavior

So I moved the car around ... switch it off ........ bloody charge light is back on when I switch the igniton off ... which means the exiter is always live ..... which means I'll likely flatten the battery over 48hours ... dead flat ....

So I pulled the exciter wire off and tested the voltage having given in thinking the ignition has to come out...... And found no voltage there ... So I checked the alternator side and found 12volts there.... GOT IT !!!!!

Hows this:
    The exciter wire on the back of the alternator was ***just*** managing to touch the 12volt feed to the battery.... So with the car off, the battery was feeding the exciter .... this caused 12volts at the battery end of the circuit, and it earthed back through the igntion, so the charge light would illuminate. With the car running, or igntion switched on, both sides of the exciter circuit has 12volts, so the battery light would turn off (when it should have been on). Confusing or what ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

and you still wonder why Ang loves the pug
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

On the negative side ... my wife wasn't really impressed about having to load all the kids in the car and come out so I could jump start it .... "You told me last week you thought the battery was no good ... WHY DRIVE IT WITHOUT GETTING A NEW BATTERY" ............. Hee, hee.... I think I have killed the battery ... I'll chuck the ID19's battery in the boot just incase the battery won't hold a charge since being flattened like it was.

So there was no-one at work who could/would help you get started? Sad really...

Cheers

Alec

Got to hand it to you! You are always devising new and interesting scenarios. That exciter lead is notorious for getting cooked hard by the engine temperature. You are going to renew it?
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There was cars in the carpark..... There all computer nerds though .... and the cars all looked really new. I didn't want to go sticking jumper leads on any of them incase I fried something in there cars (yeah I know ... unlikely .... If there was an old car there I'd have jumped it in a heartbeat).

Life is supposed to be interesting either way right Think how boring life would be if I had a hi-undi i30 like everyone else.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    There simple .... basic ... so why don't they ever work

Hows this:
    The exciter wire on the back of the alternator was ***just*** managing to touch the 12volt feed to the battery.... So with the car off, the battery was feeding the exciter .... this caused 12volts at the battery end of the circuit, and it earthed back through the igntion, so the charge light would illuminate. With the car running, or igntion switched on, both sides of the exciter circuit has 12volts, so the battery light would turn off (when it should have been on). Confusing or what ??

seeya,
    Shane L.

I'm not saying a word....
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I'm not saying a word....
    You Just Said Heaps!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information