hydraulic leak on CX 25 - help please
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default hydraulic leak on CX 25 - help please

The return line for the right rear keeps popping out of the T.
    While driving all is well but after parking the car and when it has lowered itself there is a puddle on the floor. The rubber hose is quite snug in the T but it still popps out. Is there a blockage somewhere?
    The left fine, never popped out

Help is much appreciated!

Advertisement

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger

Point of least resistance perhaps? Try slowly pumping some air through it back to the reservoir end using a bicycle pump if you don't have a compressor handy. If there is an obstruction, that should show it up. Otherwise, could it be the routing of the tubing that pulls it out as the suspension arm moves towards it's limits??

Yep, you are correct, it will be a blockage. The fluid returning to the tank when the suspension settles has no where to go so it pops the weakest spot which you have found. So you have to look between where it comes off all the way back to the tank. As David says try with some air. Good luck and let us know how you go and what you find.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

1000+ Posts

Thank you David S and XM mechanic! It's the CX i passed on to a mate in the country. He is not on the net. I'll let him know and in turn report back.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

It could be just the rubber joiners getting old. The plastic line seems to last forever but the rubber joiners on my car are all pretty hard now.

We took the CX to Cit-In in Tasmania a few years ago. The car behaved perfectly all the way down, but left a hydraulic puddle when parked outside my brothers house in Melbourne on the way home. Had a proper look at Shanes place on the way home. Couldn't find anything wrong except some oil wetness around the front height corrector. We put three small zip ties around the tee piece connector on the height corrector drain point. That was 3 years ago. Zip ties are still there. Leak hasn't recurred.

It's a shame that the tee pieces are silly prices as a spare part. I put a new octopus on because it was 'only' ~$100. But couldn't bring myself to spend $50 each on tee pieces that are not actually leaking....
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Thread Information