Towing with a CX
  • Help

Default Towing with a CX

Hi,

Looking at doing some towing with the CX when back together (pic shows current towbar)

The trailer frame will be 10 x 5. Wheels outside frame. The body on the body of the trailer will be solid about 4ft high - camper trailer style. Should weigh about 500kg all up.

Now, not having done much towing other than a box trailer, I was wondering what type of suspension i should get on the trailer so it is best suited for the CX. Would it be different behind the C5 X7.

Does the extra foot of width make much difference when towing? I am thinking the CX is about 5ft wide, rear vision should still be good without the need to add bigger/wider side mirrors. Any wider might be different though.

advice from you e pertinence towers would be welcome?

Advertisement

Laurie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Towing with a CX-image.jpg  

best to put the axel 200mm back from the centre of the trailer makes it tow very well

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

As long as you have adequate nose weight (about 10% apparently is best) the CX will effortlessly haul anything you care to string to the back of it

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Default Towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    best to put the axel 200mm back from the centre of the trailer makes it tow very well
    Hi
    This might be OK but really it is just necessary to get the balance right(loaded), and end up with "adequate nose weight (about 10% apparently is best) the CX will effortlessly haul anything you care to string to the back of it " as Shane says. Heavy things in the middle.

500 Kg is just a lightly filled box trailer My suggstion for a suspension is any normal type. Being a bit fancy is really wasting your time. One that does not bump steer too much is always good for tracking well.

Jaahn

With the nose weight you are saying that if your trailer weight is 750Kg then you should have 75Kg on the ball. Is that correct?

I have had a salesman tell me that the torsion axles are better than the sprung setups. I have no experience with the torsion axles - I can see they look neater but as far as towing goes not sure. The trailer I am looking at is a single axle 9x5.

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    With the nose weight you are saying that if your trailer weight is 750Kg then you should have 75Kg on the ball. Is that correct?

I have had a salesman tell me that the torsion axles are better than the sprung setups. I have no experience with the torsion axles - I can see they look neater but as far as towing goes not sure. The trailer I am looking at is a single axle 9x5.
    If it's a standard box trailer .... IMO simple is best. Light truck tyres are a necessity IMO ... 9 x 5's tend to get overloaded. If it's not going to be twin axle.... Put the highest rated springs ( eg: 7 leaf 1.5 ton springs/axle under it). Trust me ... It WILL get overloaded to buggery at some point. I prefer brakes on anything over 6 x 4 too.

This would be my list:
    --1.5ton axle ... leaf spring would be fine
    --over-ride brakes ... drum, disk... couldn't care, so long as they work.
    --high sides
    --long box section drawbar.... Drawbar continue under the floor of the trailer as far back as possible (the nicest made trailers have drawbars that go back to the spring hangers).
    --small lift off cage (very useful)
    --box section frame under the floor (look under the trailer, not what it looks like from above).
    --most box trailers will have the axle slightly back from center ... this is perfect as you will be the one loading it and responsible for weight distribution. If your fitting water tanks etc.... carefully place them.... you don't want a heavy tank of water at the back of the trailer.
    --quality LED lighting ... if you can't see it when the sun is out, it's no bloody good

I used to think galavanised was a good idea. However any solid metal I figure is fine for the box of the trailer. Your going to be painting it nearly every year if you use it either way (as you scrape the paint off with shovels etc...).

You can pick the good trailers within about 30seconds just by looking under/over them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I'd add the use of dampers. BF wagon units are as compact as you will get for a leaf spring set up. If someone says slipper springs are OK then turn around and start walking, slipper springs basically grind away at the trailer chassis (not the smartest system and still legal!)

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    I'd add the use of dampers. BF wagon units are as compact as you will get for a leaf spring set up. If someone says slipper springs are OK then turn around and start walking, slipper springs basically grind away at the trailer chassis (not the smartest system and still legal!)

Brendan
    All my trailers are slipper springs ..... Never had a problem. I just fitted new 7leaf 1.5ton slippers.

I agree if it's going to be a twin. You'd rather a load sharing setup for twin axles. Having said that, my car trailer is twin slipper axles.... It's one of the nicest trailers I've towed......

The problem I see with slipper springs in this instance is..... take a speed hump for example. I pull the loaded car trailer up onto the speed hump. The front axle will be carrying nearly the full trailers mass as the front axle rolls up onto the speed hump. Then as I pull it off the speed hump, the rear axle is carrying nearly the full weight (so over 2tons on one little axle). Seems to work well though So it's got me buggered.

I doubt most of us would wear out a slipper spring in 3lifetimes

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information