DS clutch cable bracket.
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS clutch cable bracket.

Hi All,
    the bracket on the bell housing that the clutch cable attaches to on a RHD 5 speed has snapped, how easy or hard is it to replace this? I have a spare one to put on, but how is it attached to the bell housing?

Advertisement

thanks
    Ed

Hi Ed

I assume you mean the lever (bell crank) that connects the clutch cable to the clutch actuating rod (#20 in attached drawing).

It is very easy to replace being held by one or two hex head screws (12mm?) to the bell housing. The red arrows indicate the position and orientation of the screws. I say one or two as it varies from car to car. Some had only screw one and a locating dowel at position two.

You will probably find it easier to loosen the hydraulic pump and remove the drive belts to help see what you are doing, but not essential (remember to loosen the hydraulic union nut a little first and re tighten on completion). Lubricate the lever's pivot well before fitting.I have done it a few times now and would be finished in 15 mins.

Check the end of the cable very carefully for any fraying and replace asap if suspect. Often if the bell crank has failed it will have caused the cable to damaged. Be warned that there is a small metal ferrule at the firewall end of the cable which is easily lost if you pull out the whole cable.

DS clutch cable bracket.-clutch-cable.jpg
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for that, it was so covered in grease and crud it was hard to see an obvious way of removal, I was having Citroen nightmares of rivets or welding or swapping gearboxes, I'm glad something's on a DS are reasonably straight forward, I'll tackle it at the weekend and report back.

Ed

This clutch pivot is, I believe, the second weakest point of the manual clutch arrangement. The weakest being the cable end at the pivot.
    If you have a replacement modern cable it will be stronger than the original Citroen units (coz the old ones break) and this will cause the pivot to be next in line to fail. I've replaced three pivots on my 5 speed safari in 13 years. Each one a modification on the last with extra welds at the breaking point.

Undo the high pressure line from the pump and loosen the pump and move it on the bracket to get access to the pivot.
    Enjoy the grease and dirt.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

I replaced my pivot and clutch cable five years ago and no ongoing problem.
    Convert to BVH.

Tadpole

Default The clutch bell crank

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    I replaced my pivot and clutch cable five years ago and no ongoing problem.
    Convert to BVH.
    Should anybody require a very good manufactured Citroen D bellcrank just contact Cees Beemster here in WA
    The part is easy to post Cees can be contacted on 0457707758 or tildek@bigpond.com.
    Keep smiling.
    Bob S

Fellow Frogger!

Ok, replaced the pivot this afternoon, easy enough once the hydraulic pump is out of the way. Two bolts took a bit of leverage to loosen but altogether a straightforward job.
    Thanks for all the help

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    This clutch pivot is, I believe, the second weakest point of the manual clutch arrangement. The weakest being the cable end at the pivot.
    If you have a replacement modern cable it will be stronger than the original Citroen units (coz the old ones break) and this will cause the pivot to be next in line to fail. I've replaced three pivots on my 5 speed safari in 13 years. Each one a modification on the last with extra welds at the breaking point.

Undo the high pressure line from the pump and loosen the pump and move it on the bracket to get access to the pivot.
    Enjoy the grease and dirt.
    Those pivot assemblies and the poor quality offered as replacements are the main reason that I do not own a D series any more.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Those pivot assemblies and the poor quality offered as replacements are the main reason that I do not own a D series any more.
    Gerry, buy a BVH.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Gerry, buy a BVH.

Roger
    I would if I could find a good one at give away prices!
    Cheers Gerry

I'm putting the cable back in and have no ferrule at the firewall, where the hell can I get one or is there a drawing to make one up, cannot find a reference anywhere!
    Why they don't fit them onto the cable in the first place beats me.

It's the same ferrule on each end of a 2CV brake cable. You maybe able to source one from a 2CV owner.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Hi Dave, I can't seem to spot one on Franzose online catalogue, I don't even know what it looks like, a sleeve with a wider end to stop the cable sheath moving I guess with a slit to fit over the cable I guess !

DS clutch cable bracket.-img_20160312_133346%7E2.jpgWhilst this is an old thread, it's the one I found when I searched for DS clutch cable.When I changed my cable for a new one (preemptive maintenance), the ferrule ended up in the plastic bag I stored the old cable in. This is what it looks like -see pic.
    Interestingly it is not shown in the parts book that I could see.
    Of course it's impossible to fit the cable without it, so you check the exploded diagram, and that doesn't help either, because you have all the parts it shows.
    Of course you search AF and find you have lost something called a ferrule.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
    Steve

Thread Information