Getting the most out of postage from Der Franzose
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Getting the most out of postage from Der Franzose

Getting some small items from Der Franzose for the 2cv (tie rod ends/petrol cap/maybe bulb kit) .Any suggestions for useful smallish items to get the most out of the postage for a 2cv or traction ?

Advertisement

Try to team up with someone else in Sydney and really get your money's worth by saving a bundle on postage. Actually, I should try something similar myself!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

The sort of things which are always on my list for Der Franzose are:
    knife edges - for the tie rods,
    The spring clamp for the bottom edge of the rear wings,
    Brake wheel cylinder seals,
    Brake linnings and pads.
    Spare air filters,
    Spare ignition coil.

If your using ignition points I would get a spare set or two.
    If you have disc brakes are the air guides working ok?

I ordered small items for my car from them today. I noticed they are selling Michelin tyres as well around 170 EUR each so I did test. For 4 tyres, postage was 150 EUR. I think not bad, still much cheaper than here!

Fellow Frogger

Maybe the clips that hold the door window glass open, small bits of rubber, plugs, leads etc., brake hoses, wipers, sensors, seals, air intake elbow ... ? Just look through the listings and you'll find something that catches your eye.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

It's not that I don't like the quality of what I get from Der Francenose, it's the shipping cost for the small bundles of parts I need. And slow- molasses in a Virginia winter slow. I can see paying 150 euros for shipping 4 tires, but 50+ euros for shipping a kilo of terminals and fuseboxes? Take over a month to get here? Sorry guys, but I have to look for other options. Shipping from France and Netherlands is cheaper and faster. I pay more for the parts, but they're closer to 'factory' anyway.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    It's not that I don't like the quality of what I get from Der Francenose, it's the shipping cost for the small bundles of parts I need. And slow- molasses in a Virginia winter slow. I can see paying 150 euros for shipping 4 tires, but 50+ euros for shipping a kilo of terminals and fuseboxes? Take over a month to get here? Sorry guys, but I have to look for other options. Shipping from France and Netherlands is cheaper and faster. I pay more for the parts, but they're closer to 'factory' anyway.
    Reaaly? Which French/ Dutch company do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Reaaly? Which French/ Dutch company do you use?
    I've used sylvain1230_0 on eBay France, and I've had some small experience with Geert at Citroworld. The stuff I ordered from Sylvain got here fast- I think it was under 7 days, and the shipping was inexpensive because he didn't use a carrier like DHL. I've ordered stuff from Citroworld and it also got here quickly, but it was a piggyback order with someone else so the shipping cost got combined. It was still cheaper than Franzose.

Remember that I buy small bulk quantities of connectors, terminals, fuseboxes, and so on. I've sort of gotten past it now, but to pay about 65.00 in shipping for under 2 pounds of terminals and a few fuseboxes pissed me off, especially with the wait time on shipping nearly a month. I tried to ask if they couldn't simply drop something like that into DeutschePost, and skip the new catalog and the gummibaren and the fancy packaging. I never received an answer. I'm still willing to try and be a customer, but I want to piggyback onto another order, and hope to hell that it gets here in a timely fashion.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I've used sylvain1230_0 on eBay France, and I've had some small experience with Geert at Citroworld. The stuff I ordered from Sylvain got here fast- I think it was under 7 days, and the shipping was inexpensive because he didn't use a carrier like DHL. I've ordered stuff from Citroworld and it also got here quickly, but it was a piggyback order with someone else so the shipping cost got combined. It was still cheaper than Franzose.

Remember that I buy small bulk quantities of connectors, terminals, fuseboxes, and so on. I've sort of gotten past it now, but to pay about 65.00 in shipping for under 2 pounds of terminals and a few fuseboxes pissed me off, especially with the wait time on shipping nearly a month. I tried to ask if they couldn't simply drop something like that into DeutschePost, and skip the new catalog and the gummibaren and the fancy packaging. I never received an answer. I'm still willing to try and be a customer, but I want to piggyback onto another order, and hope to hell that it gets here in a timely fashion.
    Ahhhh, I used him too from ebay France! He is good! I bought brand new water pump from him! Yes cost more but I haggled and he agreed. I did outside of ebay deal. I trusted him and it was ok.

JBN

I find 2CViking in France seems to be able to obtain reasonable postage rates using the French postal system. Takes about a week to get here.

John

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Ahhhh, I used him too from ebay France! He is good! I bought brand new water pump from him! Yes cost more but I haggled and he agreed. I did outside of ebay deal. I trusted him and it was ok.
    In addition, Sylvain also has an unusually large storefront on eBay. I enjoy going through it like a kid in a toy store.

I'll have to give 2CViking a look. Electrically, the parts I use are the same across the board.

JBN

One way 2CViking helped me is he sourced a complete upholstery set for a 2CV from Club Cassis. That upholstery pattern (black/white houndstooth) was the original upholstery on the first Charlestons. I don't beleive it is available from Der Franzose. The Germans normally included headrest covers as well (headrests being mandatory in Germany). The French didn't have matching headrests, but Viking was able to convince them to part with an extra metre of material so I could make up my own. He has also managed to source me a new double throat 2CV carburettor from Club Cassis. A very handy guy to know.

John

John

Thanks for the roses John. We do go the extra mile for our Aussie 2cv friends.
    Salute Le Viking

Tadpole

Default 2 CV spares

I use 2CVicking I find Peter and Loraine to be fast and great to deal with for all my 2CV parts requirements.
    He has just moved into a larger better equiped workshop and has both new and secondhand parts.
    freight costs I have found to be reasonable.
    Keep smiling.
    Bob Senn WA
    French and Fantastic Automotive Club.

Thanks Bob. How is the new club going?
    I think the holidays are over. Sadly French La Poste have increased their charges across the board. Mainly to zone 5 (Australia and Asia etc) I'm guessing that small volume to zone 5 is no longer interesting for La Poste. Also the individual kilo prices between 15 and 20 kilo is removed and replaced with a set price regardless whether it is 15 or 20 kilos. The good news is that prepaid 5 and 7 kilos is still the same. Oversize parcels longer than a meter has added fees. Someone please place Australia in the Atlantic not in the Pacific.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Senn View Post
    I use 2CVicking I find Peter and Loraine to be fast and great to deal with for all my 2CV parts requirements.
    He has just moved into a larger better equiped workshop and has both new and secondhand parts.
    freight costs I have found to be reasonable.
    Keep smiling.
    Bob Senn WA
    French and Fantastic Automotive Club.
    I prefer Der Franzose. You only need to look at their catalogues, which are free by the way. Most parts come from a few mayor suppliers-manufactorers, who then sell it on to other suppliers.

Thread Information