ID 19 Woes
  • Help

Thread: ID 19 Woes

Icon9 ID 19 Woes

Today I thought I'd shuffle some cars and get the ID 19 out for a spin.

I turn the key and hit the starter button. Sometimes it takes 2 to 4 presses to get it to start cranking if I haven't taken it out for a while and this morning was no exception. On the 3rd attempt, the starter motor kept on whining and whining. I turned off the car with the key and it kept going. As I scrambled to pop the bonnet to undo the negative terminal of the battery, a bit of smoke had started coming out the starter. Starter has now come to a stop.

So I waited a couple of minutes and reconnected the battery. No starter noise. I got back in the car and tried starting it again. All good. The car starts on the 1st attempt and 1:30 later, Harriet rises up without a hitch.

Advertisement

Knowing well I was going to restart it at some point during my journey for the day, I turn off the car to give it another go and she booted up fine at the press of the button and I could hear the starter whirring among the roar of the long-stroke. I turn it off and the motor turns off but the starter's still kicking and I rush to the negative terminal and disconnect the battery.

So where to from here?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

Starter solenoid perhaps?

Stater gear oil sticks when car was not used for a while. It happened to mine as well. Oil/grease I used was wrong. WD 40 did trick then.I did not bother to do it properly after that but still works fine. It is raining in Melbourne area so I will not be able to drive the car for a while...
    Oh yes solenoid is funny too, its contacts could be? Contact plate has ARKed? rivets used to connect 2 wires from ignition is not conducting because of corrosion? This happened to mine so I cleaned up and soldered rivets and plate so It will conduct.
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 14th May 2013 at 09:37 PM.

I just went in the garage and slowly popped back the negative terminal onto the battery after I gave the starter motor a little tap, and as I was getting within a mm of the battery, I got some spark and the car wanted to start. I thought, "I thought my car was Harriet - not Christine!" So I got the negative lead out of the way and checked the remote starter switch under the positive terminal and noticed it was sticky. So I sorted that out and popped the negative terminal back in. No spark.

I started the car without a hitch once, twice, and three times.

I noticed that during the second time around, I turned the key and the fuel indicator shot straight up to full. I turned the key back and it stayed there, so I tapped the gauge and back it went. Tried it again and it sat exactly at half way. It's never been entirely reliable and that's why I keep a log of every fill up and at how many miles.

I hope that's the end of that! *fingers crossed*
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Sounds like you need to drive it a bit more. Keep everything well exercised.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Sounds like you need to drive it a bit more. Keep everything well exercised.
    I think you're right, Greg - it's the one that gets driven the least as I'm too stuck in the 70s cars and the little lady uses the Xantia daily.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The starter soleniod on the battery. Don't drive it like this or you'll destroy the ring gear and starter motor.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DS

I'm guessing you have one of the button type solenoids on the battery like the cars came with? Is is positioned with the button on the underside? I saw one years ago where the owner put it on the wrong way round which made it easier for the switch to "self start" over every bump!

Mine occasionally has the starter refuse to turn. Lifting it out and back in again seems to free it up.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    I'm guessing you have one of the button type solenoids on the battery like the cars came with?
    That's the one. Seems to be all freed up... for now anyway. I should just drive the thing more. Once a week doesn't quite seem enough for the old girl.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

wd40!

Thread Information