What have I done!!!!
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default What have I done!!!!

What I have done is bought another Xantia .

It was an impulse buy - the sort of impulse that happens when you see something in Gumtree, wife's going to be away for the weekend, so you borrow the neighbour's car trailer and drive 5 hours (each way ) to pick the thing up . It came from a wreckers down the coast - they obviously found little demand for Xantia parts, so advertised the whole car.

There is a bit of logic here - I already have a '97 Series I Xantia VSX Turbo CT, which in a number of ways, after 220,000km, is getting 'tired'. This new' 'car is a '97 Series I Xantia VSX Turbo CT, which has done 270,000+ km!!

I planned on buying it for parts, but was surprised to find that it has factory leather seats, factory sunroof and (almost certainly not factory) cruise control - none of which my car has. The paint (especially horizontal surfaces) is basically stuffed, however it has no rust (not really surprising), no sign of accident repairs (I'd better get an expert opinion on this) and is almost completely dent free.

Rego expired February 2012 - it appears it was traded before that date and was presumably going at that time. A small car dealer then left it in the sun and failed to sell it. They went broke, and it finished up in the hands of the wreckers a few months ago. Mind you, given what has been coming through David Cav's doors lately, it's a wonder it didn't finish up at the wreckers a bit sooner . End result - security code has been lost, and battery is completely dead. Jumper leads saw electrics spring to life - things look basically normal there. Miracle of miracles, it came with books, including it's own and another Xantia's service books!! It's a case of choose the service history you like the best!! The other car was even a CT Turbo (but wrong colour). Even more astonishing, the one I've just bought lived for some years in my mother-in-law's street in the Blue Mountains .

As it happens, both cars have about a 100,000 km gap in their service histories, but both finished up being serviced at the same euro service centre in Lismore on the 18/2/08, so looks like that's when my car gained an extra service record book . Anyway, assuming the mechanics haven't completely stuffed up with filling in the books, my car had the motor & clutch replaced about 20,000 km ago (2nd hand motor - had done about 133,000 km at the time) - so i could be on a winner there!! , Coolant is low, but engine oil looks good, so we will see...

Where I am very wary/nervous is the hydraulics. I have a bad feeling about that system - as you can see in the photo, the car's down to the bump stops. The hydraulic reservoir has little in it - the flying saucer is also down on it's bump stops - and during loading a very nasty looking fluid dribbled out of the engine bay - certainly wasn't engine or gearbox oil.

So in the end, it might be the condition of the hydraulic system that decides the fate of this car. I will save it if I can, but I doubt it will be at any French car day in the near future!

Cheers

Advertisement

Alec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have I done!!!!-xantia.jpg  

Icon6

G'day,
    do you have an understanding wife ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

JBN

As he said, he is very wary/nervous about the hydraulics. What he didn't say is that he is petrified of what the wife will say.

We will keep an eye on the obituaries column.

John

How many in the yard now? Ann is telling me 3 is enough.

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    CX 1978 2400 Pallas C-Matice

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    Does that refer to bodies, husbands or cars?

John

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Does that refer to bodies, husbands or cars?
    John
    G'day,
    might be one of each, soon...
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Fellow Frogger!

Bet you its the husband that gets terminated first.

Icon6

G'day,
    if he does, perhaps we could raffle the car at the AFCD
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Fellow Frogger!

and help pay for the funeral

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post

All the best,

Laurie

C5 2009 Exclusive 2.7
    CX 1987 Series 2 Turbo 2
    How many?

Well actually there's a logical pattern to all my acquisitions ...

*After we bought the Pug 307 for her (new, in 2006) I was feeling left out, so bought the first Xantia (price 17.5% of new 307).

*Three years later (2009) we sold the 307 while it still had value (to finance a kitchen renovation), so I bought the Pug 605 to replace it (22.7% of 307 sale price - OK I got ripped off, but it had only done 73,000km, and they are rare).

* A further four years later (Easter this year), I bought the 406 for her (10% of price of 307, and in many ways a better car). So according to the unassailable laws of logic, I have acquired another Turbo CT (18.5% of cost of 406).

The logic? Whenever we buy or sell a car for her, I get to buy a car, so long as the price of mine is less than 25% of the price of hers. Actually I don't think she knows about this, as I've only just worked it out .

It's starting to look like a race to the bottom, as both her Pug & my Xantia cost 1/10th of what we paid for cars in 2006 (but that was pre GFC ... ). However in 2006 both cars worked perfectly - this time around only one of them works .

So how many? 2 x Pugs and 2 x Cits here, plus one Pug & one Cit in Canberra (I have "helped" two of our boys get cars of my choice).

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Getting back to my new Xantia - does anyone think a 16 year old car picked up at a wreckers is worth saving, or should I just turn it into spare parts. I mean - surely no-one actually thinks old Froggies are worth saving!!??

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

That looks like a lovely car.
    I think Xantias and 406s are both very attractive cars. Pug and Cit stying has gone downhill since then. (though I think the new c4 has a bit of class.)

If it can be saved for a reasonable cost, why not?

Good on you for saving it from the crusher.

Fellow Frogger!

A lot of the question of weather to fix it probably depends on weather you can obtain the code, I don't think there's much you can do without that as the immobilized is within the ecu. Then look at what's been done and what needs doing, xantias of this age can be really expensive if they've not been properly maintained (even with good looking service history). If it's never had strut tops, heater core, clutch hydraulics, main return line, and heater hoses replaced there could be a few $$$ even just in those parts.
    Good luck with it though, Ct xantias are great cars, I had one the same color as that with leather and I often miss it.
    Oh, and if you do end up Parting it, I may be interested in a gearbox.

If you can get the code (IF) I can't imagine a straight, tidy Xantia not being worth saving. But it does depend whether you can use it enough to make it worthwhile for you. I'd be expecting to need to change the return lines and clean out the hydraulic system and replace the LHM, not trivial but quite do-able - there are threads here on that subject if you can't find new octopuses.

And I'd not be game to drive it unless the strut top matter has been addressed. The only major components changed on our car have been strut tops (before they failed) and the heater radiator (after it failed of course). Continentals seem to know what you mean when you phone and ask for hydraulic parts and have posted stuff to me very quickly.

I drove ours yesterday for the first time in a while, as I've been using my Renault R8, and it reminded me what a competent car the Xantia is.

So good luck - it's probably as well I've never driven a CT or I'd want one....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    A lot of the question of weather to fix it probably depends on weather you can obtain the code, I don't think there's much you can do without that as the immobilized is within the ecu.

OK - let's start with the code. What are my options?

1. Phone previous owner - unfortunately the only recorded owner (apart from the trade) sold it at least 8 years ago, but worth a try...

2. Sit in the car and keep trying 4 digit combinations until I crack it.

3. Swap an ECU from a car with an ECU that has a known code. Would it have to be a Turbo CT (fortunately I have one)?

Other thoughts? No point burning it - it's not insured .

Cheers

Alec

I did contemplate Option 2 and shuddered. If you were systematic, there would be quite a few numbers not to test, such as every combination of three digits the same out of four. I wonder if someone out there has a way of cracking these codes - some organisations such as RAC have a few private tricks. Perhaps you need a good thief.

When we bought our Xantia (a model sans code) it did need a radio code. I went to the SAAB dealer where it was sold new and they had the code on their database. Very neat. Do you know where yours was sold new? That would be Option 4 but I'd rank it ahead of Option 2.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

As far as the code goes, try obvious possibilities first, 1111, 0000, then maybe the manufacture year of the car.. People set them to all sorts of things, my old one was the previous owner's daughter's birth date. I never changed it and often still enter it at the ATM out of habit! Otherwise, look at the keypad... Wear and clean patches on the rubber buttons are a give away that those numbers have been frequently pressed. I just had a look at the keypad in my xm and would be able to work it out this way. I think there's a lock out where if you enter the wrong code 3 or 4 times it won't let you try agilain for an hour or so (I remember leaving the car with a Pannel beater who immobilized it in his drive way). Otherwise, swapping the ecu for a known one should work I think, yes, it would need to be a Ct one.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Sounds like the answer too all your problems is you need to buy another CT turbo .,... and use that as a parts car for these two

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Sounds like the answer too all your problems is you need to buy another CT turbo .,... and use that as a parts car for these two

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shhh!! I've already thought of that . Trouble is - it also might seem too good to wreck . Maybe I don't look in the right places, but they don't seem to come up very often, which is why I moved quickly on this one.

Cheers

Alec

JBN

The code on my Xantia VSX is unknown to me. I never have to enter it and not knowing it has caused no problems in the 3 years I have owned it.

With your CT Turbo, of which there would not have been many imported, why not go through Continantal Cars and see if they can come up with a list of red CT Turbos that were imported into Australia and sold in NSW or QLD. Also, is it possible, given the VIN number, for Citroen France to send the original code? Does Lexia know the code?

John

1000+ Posts

I didn't think there would have been many imported, which is why it seems a shame to just turn this one into spare parts...

So John when you turn the ignition switch on, does the green light (RH side of key pad) glow? Or are there no lights on tjhe key pad? Just trying to know how to tell if the keypad has been "unlocked". This one shows a red light - same as my first VSX before code is entered.

Thanks for suggestions re. Continentals, Ateco, Citroen France, but it could be a long shot as the code is easily changed. I've not yet tried connecting my Lexia to this car, but never saw any relevant options when I've had Lexia connected to my first VSX.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post

Miracle of miracles, it came with books, including it's own and another Xantia's service books!! ...

As it happens, both cars have about a 100,000 km gap in their service histories, but both finished up being serviced at the same euro service centre in Lismore on the 18/2/08....
    Actually on closer inspection, the second book came with the replacement engine, and the euro car centre in Lismore filled in both books (with identical info) for services done after the engine transplant! Anyway, as far as I can make out, the engine & clutch should have done about 100,000k less than the rest of the car.

The second book had a security code written in it, but it didn't work

Cheers

Alec

JBN

When I open the door, the red light is flashing (probably indicates the burglar alarm is active, if it has one).When I switch on the ignition, the red light goes off and the green light comes on. I never tough the key pad.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    When I open the door, the red light is flashing (probably indicates the burglar alarm is active, if it has one).When I switch on the ignition, the red light goes off and the green light comes on. I never tough the key pad.

John
    Thanks John - pretty much what I expected for an "unlocked" system. I think the blinking red light when ignition is "off" is to try and convince any would-be thief that car has an alarm. My cars show blinking red light when key is turned on, then if you get code right, green light comes on.

Cheers

Alec

Alec,

These unlocked cars tend to become locked when the batteries fail. I had an 8 valve VSX in this state once. I found that it responded to a code of 0001 and then I was able to follow the sequence to set it to unlocked so that it didn't need a code after that.

Alec, you have to see what's involved with saving it. Sounds like the brake valve boot or some return lines have broken.

The clutch in my Activa collapsed last week. So I am going through the motions of taking the gearbox out at the moment. I am about to start dismantling all the hydraulic clutch bits so I hope all that goes OK.

Good luck,

Regards,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 13th May 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add some more stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information