1969 DS21 Warning Lights
  • Help

Default 1969 DS21 Warning Lights

I just purchased my first DS, a 1969 DS 21, but it did not come with an owners guide. None of the pdfs that I have found on-line match my dash.

Advertisement

There are three unlabeled amber warning lights to the right of the clock, and above the row of rocker switches. The bottom of the three appears to be the high-beam indicator. The other two light up when the key is on, but the engine is not running. I'm assuming that they are for low oil pressure and for alternator failure, but would like to know which is which.

Before I start to trace out the wires, I thought I'd see if anyone could shed some light.

Thanks!
    --Igor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 DS21 Warning Lights-ds-dash.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    I just purchased my first DS, a 1969 DS 21, but it did not come with an owners guide. None of the pdfs that I have found on-line match my dash.

There are three unlabeled amber warning lights to the right of the clock, and above the row of rocker switches. The bottom of the three appears to be the high-beam indicator. The other two light up when the key is on, but the engine is not running. I'm assuming that they are for low oil pressure and for alternator failure, but would like to know which is which.

Before I start to trace out the wires, I thought I'd see if anyone could shed some light.

Thanks!
    --Igor
    Hi Igor, welcome to Aussiefrogs and congratulations on your new acquisition

I have an owners handbook for I believe a '69, it shows only two warning lamps where yours has three? According to the handbook the upper left light is a red oil pressure warning and the lower left is a red battery charge warning.

There is no indication of a third light in the handbook, I was under the impression that the '69 model had a black finish to the dash and a black spoke to the steering wheel, maybe that was on BVH Aus delivered cars? You also appear to have what looks like underdash aircon very rare here and very nice to have

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post

Thanks!
    --Igor
    Hi Igor, welcome to Aussiefrogs and congratulations on your new acquisition

I have an owners handbook for I believe a '69, it shows only two warning lamps where yours has three? According to the handbook the upper left light is a red oil pressure warning and the lower left is a red battery charge warning.

There is no indication of a third light in the handbook, I was under the impression that the '69 model had a black finish to the dash and a black spoke to the steering wheel, maybe that was on BVH Aus delivered cars? You also appear to have what looks like underdash aircon very rare here and very nice to have

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris --
    Hi. Thanks for the welcome and the info.

The prior owner had problems with the the transmission, and replaced the Citromatic with a manual transmission from an ID19. It is possible that as part of the change he also swapped the steering wheel and dash.

There are three lights; but thinking about it, there is no guarantee that the lights are in their original position. Time to take out the VOM.

Take care,
    Igor

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Igor! Please, allow me to help you on that.

Chris has it right for two of them- charge and oil. The third is high beam. Across the center of your instrument cluster, you have turn signal, hydraulic warning, brake pad indicator and hazard repeater. On all other market cars, this was the high beam. Also- your car is an early '69, US market only. Easy to spot with the rocker switches, which, AFAIK, we were the only ones who got that.

If I can manage it, I do have an incomplete copy (PDF) of the US '69 owners manual. Incomplete because it's missing the last couple of pages. You can also try www.Citronpaper.it, which is where I found it.

Also- for your dash, the base dash is correct for a DS, but the steering pod is quite different, even though it wires up the same save for the start switch. An ID is a much plainer dash.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The binnacle was probably changed when the car went to BVM.
    The steering wheel is from an ID.

If you ever have electrical issues, Hotrodelectric eats those up as frat boys throw keg parties.
    He knows his stuff.

Thread Information